Sniper math and stuff.

TheManFromOz

Hi, what is the likelihood of a one shot kill from 2500 metres in 30 kph crosswinds?

Also does anyone know where I could find a explanation of the math needed to work out such things as the firing angle needed for various shots?

Thanks
TMFO

Hi, what is the likelihood of a one shot kill from 2500 metres in 30 kph crosswinds?

Also does anyone know where I could find a explanation of the math needed to work out such things as the firing angle needed for various shots?

Thanks
TMFO

2430 meters is the current range record set with a .50 weapon..
Add crosswinds and you are the best shot in the world if you make that shot..
Unless you are planning on using a Tomahawk cruisemissile?

And the math requiered doesn´t belong on an open board.

//KJ.

It'd be a pretty hairy shot I'd say.... Not impossible I feel, but you wouldn't catch me putting money on it.

I'd say that the "math" is relatively simple, the hard thing would be knowing all of the variables. About the only two constants would be Ballistic coefficient and G.

Last edited:
Let me be frank and say, it's probably f*cking impossible for the vast majority of human beings on this planet. Question is, can you even keyhole your shots at 100m with iron sights on your 5.56mm weapon?

At this distance..... a lot of skill and some luck. I'm not a long range shooter. I've taken some long shots sub 1000 yards with iron sights (long for me....) but that is easily out of my range of ability. That's a air strike call for me.

2430 meters is the current range record set with a .50 weapon..
Add crosswinds and you are the best shot in the world if you make that shot..
Unless you are planning on using a Tomahawk cruisemissile?

And the math requiered doesn´t belong on an open board.

//KJ.

And the math required doesn´t belong on an open board.

Why? It is not secret.

Advanced mathematics required to solve the problem falls under advanced studies more for a masters degree. You can probably find software to solve these types of questions.

What a sniper does by compensating for the environment when taking a shot is amazing in the complicity of the problem. The human brain solves the equation in real time, digital computers can't.

What a sniper does by compensating for the environment when taking a shot is amazing in the complicity of the problem. The human brain solves the equation in real time, digital computers can't.
I think that you have summed it up pretty well.

I once hit a running wild dog in the bum at about 800 yards* offhand with an M1 Garand in three shots. I have always put it down as a lucky shot, but there must be an element of skill somewhere as I was told, both the previous shots kicked up dirt that partially obscured him to my mate who was spotting for me through his binoculars.

*(thats what I cranked on the sights)

I would not like to be expected to repeat it any time soon,... but I would certainly enjoy trying. :lol:

And the math required doesn´t belong on an open board.

Why? It is not secret.

Agreed, not secret.
As TI pointed out there is a phone app called bulletflight that do it for you.
And if you happen to have KAC it even fills in some of the numbers of your formula.

Why would anyone not in the field need to know what the equation contains?

And I stand by my statement at 2500 meters you would be the best shot in the world..
As the current record stands at 2430 meters.

//KJ.

The thing is to even post the simple stuff like bullet rise/fall windage and elevation adjustments mil forumla and range estimation would take pages. It's not as easy as dialing in a scope. Different rounds within the same caliber in different enviroments react differently, past a certain range spin drift is a problem. It's not a one blurb answer.

KJ: I thought Hurlong bracketed, one low one high and one on target.

Hmm. I thought that shot was 2 miles, I must have misread.

Okay so say 1500 metres?

And why not give me the math? I can't use it,I doubt my bow, which is the only projectile weapon I have, needs it, I just want to see how it works.

And I realize it's not one blurb there is windage, humidity, angle of fire, arc of bullet, gravity, heat and I probably missed some. The ones I am most interested in are windage, angle and arc.

Last edited:
KJ: I thought Hurlong bracketed, one low one high and one on target.

Not what I heard, first one missed, adjusted second one hit.
Though I might be misinformed cause I haven´t gotten this from the shooter himself.

//KJ.

Okay so say 1500 metres?

And why not give me the math? I can't use it,I doubt my bow, which is the only projectile weapon I have, needs it, I just want to see how it works.

And I realize it's not one blurb there is windage, humidity, angle of fire, arc of bullet, gravity, heat and I probably missed some. The ones I am most interested in are windage, angle and arc.

Here are some terms you will need in understanding some of the formulas.
Notation

In the equations on this page, the following variables will be used:
  • g: the gravitational acceleration—usually taken to be 9.81 m/s2 near the Earth's surface
  • θ: the angle at which the projectile is launched
  • v: the velocity at which the projectile is launched
  • y0: the initial height of the projectile
  • d: the total horizontal distance traveled by the projectile
Distance traveled
The total horizontal distance (d) traveled.
c1da5860501561519415962ddda5e85e.png
When the surface the object is launched from and is flying over is flat (the initial height is zero), the distance traveled is:
040e7aedfc5c0a9b37f222e28f99fcdf.png
As a special case, the distance is given by
f4e89b74ea38b99c833aff04ff060e5a.png
when the angle (θ) is 45° and the initial height (y0) is 0.
For explicit derivations of these results, see Range of a projectile.

If you wish to learn more you will have to take Calculus and advanced Algebra. You will also have to have had geometry which is relatively easy.

This is basic stuff that I have posted from Wikipedia.

Everything that applies to a bullet traveling threw air, also applies to arrows.

Not what I heard, first one missed, adjusted second one hit.
Though I might be misinformed cause I haven´t gotten this from the shooter himself.

//KJ.

Or I could be...my info is also second hand.

That is without including the ballistic coeficient of the projectile, windage or air temperature (Density). There's probably more, like Coriolis force?

Redleg would probably know, if not, he'd know where you can find the necessary formulae. At the range you quote this is almost becoming an artillery question.:lol:

Last edited:

Okay so say 1500 metres?

Depends on alot of things, Weapon, Caliber, Enviroment...you want an easy answer....but the varibles don't lend them self to that.

KJ is right Hurlongs shot with a McMillian .50 right at 1 1/2 miles.

Thanks for that, I should checked wikipedia. :oops:

It applies to arrows, yes, but the furthest I can send an arrow is 300 metres maybe more with an ultra modern high poundage compound, maybe 400. At that range, I don't need maths, its just about impossible for me to judge with any accuracy anyway (I am not a master of the bow by any means) because there are far more variables than with firearms. At the ranges I use my bow, usually twenty to sixty metres, I only need instinct or whatever you want to call it.

Back