Sniper fire holds up push into Gaddafi's hometown (Reuters)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
Reuters - Snipers loyal to Muammar Gaddafi held back government forces trying to capture his hometown on Thursday and the deposed leader warned the heads of the developing world who have recognized Libya's new rulers that they would face a similar fate to his own.

More...

Return a sniper round with a tank round .....

There is an easy way to deal with sniper fire ... use the main gun on an armored tank and level the building and drop the building on top of the sniper (or around him as the case may be).

During the riots in Detroit, when they were trying to decide whether to use the Guard or regular troops, the general in charge of the regular Army troops told the governor and the mayor that if martial law was declared and regular troops were to be used .. snipers would be treated with main tank gun rounds instead of rifle fire even if the building had to be leveled to stop sniper fire. The governor and the mayor decided to use the National Guard instead of the regular Army troops.

[I know the above to be true .. I was part of the response team that was gathered from around the United States. We were gathered at an air field just outside of Detroit awaiting the word to enter Detroit and put down the riots. We were within an hour of commencing operations when the word came to stand down].

At the time, I thought it was a good idea ...

Wow chief. Interesting story.
How did you feel about that order?

At the time, I thought it was a good idea. Firefighters that were trying to put out fires and cops that were trying to direct traffic and control rioting civilians, were being fired upon.

The point that the general was making with the governor and the mayor, was the fact that IF active duty military personnel were to be fired upon, he was going to treat sniper fire against them with over powering force. He was NOT going to take any unnecessary chances with the lives of his troops.

Bottom line: He was going to treat ANY sniper the same way we would treat a sniper in a combat zone (you do what is necessary to take out a sniper and you DON'T take chances).

Well, the bottom line is that as well as happened in Beirut (where I was present) and Zarajewo the snipers are the main force of this battle (at least in Sirte) as far as I can gather from friends and news reports: Roughly 70% of troops of both sides are dedicacted "snipers/sharpshooters", the surviving ones count between 5-10 enemy KIAs each )per paior, both sides operate in 2 man teams). Tank main guns rounds (and neither RPGs/Mortars) are not a general option in Sirte right now.

There was an interesting article in Spanish "El Mundo " about this today, but as its 1:20 in the morning here and my night ends at 0500 I will eleaborate with the transaltion (probably) tomorrow.

Rattler

Back