Smoking in the military

Well, no, it wasnt my point at all...

I just say that when sex is just a physical "event". You get used to it, and you have to jump to the next limit, to add to the dose to feel an effect.

So you start with normal practices, and then you jump to something else when it gets boring.

And it may eventually lead to homosexual practices for the thrill, or the experience...

And I was talking about sex without love, not prostitution. You can be in love with prostitute in theory.

And of course, you can invite à buddy to join you without having sex with him.

But no, I didnt say that prostitution leads to homosexuality...

sigh....Really? Listen to yourself. Where are you getting these theories from? What is your evidence? Are you basing them off of experience or just making stuff up? Are you a psychologist? Are you intimately aware of how the human mind works or do you just ramble off the first thing that comes to mind.

A french modern philosopher/sociologist wrote about it. (I think the name is Alain Soral)

And it's basic psychology too.

These are my words, the idea is not basically mine, I tried to express it as accurately as possible...

But I have no reasons to doubt it... What is the part you find hard to believe?

And you should read psychology basics, and I mean the very basics, like Pavlov and such...

There is a paper about habits, and how we lose our ability to feel pleasure and to be excited when we get used to something.

Just compare your first time with a woman and the next... You are not as excited as the first time for a reason.
So you feel the need for change. To spice things up. Feelings have a barrier effect in many cases. And it's healthy.

And when you want to spice things up... With enough time and practice, you can go very far.

There is many kinds of marriages...

And there is maried couples who swap partners for the same reason... To live the thrill...

But sane married couple find the interest to revive the flame.

But your conclusion can be right if the conditions are right... But we are here talking about human nature, while marriage is an institution built to give a meaning and to control our human nature.

So I dont think that marriage, as an institution should be concerned by this "argument".

But prostitution is a step backward toward human nature in its most despicable part... It's behaving like an animal looking blindly for pleasure...
And it's a good way to lose its path.

Once again, confusion is not a friend. And certainly not the friend of a soldier in a war zone.

Two words: Morals and discipline. No smoking, no prostitutes. And if they have to, they should send soldiers with their families in the areas of operations. Let them live with the people they want to help... And make the wars slow and accurate...

Or something like that...

Last edited:
I think a few years of service in a miltary would be good for you since you seem to know SO much about it. More than any of us here it seems.

You have no idea what it takes to be a soldier. You couldn't possibly fathom the sacrifices the people in the service make so ensure the rights and freedoms of their countries citizens. You act as if smoking is the biggest problem the military has...it is not. If soldiers can smoke and meet the physical requirements prescribed by the military...then what is the problem? Smoking is a RIGHT, one of the many that we protect. If I die from it 50 years from now then that's my decision, nobody elses. It is not immoral, it is not indicative of ones morality or character. There is no research that states a correlation between smoking and people being "bad apples".

I think that tobbacco is far more dangerous than being a soldier.

How many people died in war as professional soldiers recently? 3000 in Iraq? Something like that? Then compare it to the death toll among smokers...

In a warzone, you might get killed... But smoking will kill you for sure. You can survive a bullet, but a cigarette will kill slowly and for sure...

I dont know about combat stress... But I'm positive that they are not using tobacco to cure PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder).
Adrenaline is one thing, stress is something else... Stress isnt a danger if you have clear ideas and that you know exactly what you are doing...

It's dangerous for sick minds and confused minds... And such people have nothing to do in a war zone.

I'm not opposed to smoking to deny you your rights... Or to torture you, or to deny you pleasure or something of this kind...
I really believe that it's doing more damage to you, to the military and to society than anything else...

And from a discipline point of view... Smoking is a real killer. In my family as an example, smokers are seen as "bad seeds"... I dont fully share this view, but there is some truth in there...

Right so STFU

No one cares about your uniformed opinion you slack jaw civvie

Perhaps this is just too wide of a cultural barrier to accurately have this discussion. You seem to be arguing that sex can grow stale, which causes people to experiment more. I'm not going to argue that, but you seem to be lumping in so many other issues with it. You're logic seems like 15th century Catholicism, it almost assumes sex can only happen between a man and his wife. Sometimes you just want to have a good time without the emotional attachments. Sometimes you just want to get laid without having to jump through hoops. I will never understand the opposition to prostitution. Legalize it, regulate it, tax it, that's my philosophy. Illegal, unregulated prostitution offers zero protection for the prostitutes, it facilitates criminal acts, it would be much harder to kidnap and force young girls into prostitution if the whole country had a system similar to Las Vegas, monthly physicals, documentation to make sure they are of age, background checks. The current system serves nobody but organized crime, it fosters illegal immigration. What's the current estimate, 500,000 women a trafficked for prostitution, 2/3's from Eastern Europe? Legalizing the practice of prostitution will greatly help to cut down on those kidnappings by taking the control of the industry out of the hands of the criminals and into the hands of businesses that are required to report regularly to their respective governments.

Lastly, one could do far better than to preach "morals and discipline" to trained Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines.

Damien, this is a natural way to function we have.
You can apply this logic to a lot of things. Fear, spicy food, allergens, women... you name it. Our response gets weaker to something as we experience it...

And I'm not a catholic, and I'm not selling a moral code of ethics based on religion... My religion is a sane way of life.

I say that when you take out love out of the equation... You take out barriers, and then, it can evolve toward everything from there.
I say that having sex with women you dont care about is dangerous... I leave you to pull the necessary conclusions from that.

And sometimes we want a lot of things, even things that arent good for us... Like smoking...

Being a human being is about controlling our animal side. It's part of discipline. We teach soldiers to control fear and to do trust their skills and their intelligence to do their duty.

People are like the lions you see in some shows, we make them jump through fire for a piece of meat... And if we give them a piece of meat without asking for anything in return, they are just useless big cats... And retarded big cats in fact if we need to give them a piece of meat. As they should be hunting for it.

I'm against prostitution. Nobody wants his daughter to finish like this. It's all BS if you want my opinion. But I do think that things get worse when they are treated like criminals...
I agree with you, but it's because I say that we should be fighting this phenomenon in a different way.
Through education and with family values...

And why not? preaching soldiers, may they be Marines, lingerie wearing pilots or sailors... is not a bad thing.
And by the way, most are young men. They deserve some education and some preaching...

They might have the intelligence, but what we lack these days is wisdom. And wisdom comes from this ability to doubt what we know... Knowing that we live in a complex world.

Last edited:
Where do you get this **** from? Your post are so confused I don't think you even know what you are trying to say. I had to go smoke a cigarette after reading the ****.

I think that I have a good idea about what I'm talking about... I'm not very confortable with English as a language, but you can get the point with a little effort.

And you should quit smoking... It's bad for you.

I do not think the translation is the issue, you're just coming off as quite arrogant for telling people who have been trained, in some cases have done multiple tours in Iraq, who are actively serving their country under arms, that we are wrong for having the same human urges everybody else does. You have been applying almost a mystical nature to sex, and then arguing that emotions need to be taken out of the equation. I know part of the issue is cultural, you are French and a civilian (correct?) and most of us are American military. For most people, sex is exactly that, sex. DSB is a ***** to deal with. Sex involves more than a mere exchange of bodily fluids, there are hormones and chemicals involved, reading the first three paragraphs for "orgasm" in wikipedia paints a pretty vivid picture. Go six months without sex and see what happens, it sucks. You're stressed out, irritable, short tempered. Even cranking one out will help to relieve the pressure, pun intended. Sometimes, sex is good just for the sake of having sex, no strings attached. In, out, done, game over.

Damien, two things.

What you call "training" is the product of a doctrine, of a strategy... It means that it's the choice of a man, and this choice can be adapted or not to a certain situation.
And this doctrine can be just completely wrong.

And then, correct me if I'm wrong, but this training is mostly technical. It's about how to do things, and not about why to do things...

Unless the military are issuing a training giving the soldiers the ability to smoke without developing a lung cancer... I really dont see how training can intervene or give any value to their opinions.

If I told you that I'm a karate instructor, is this years long training giving me any weight to my opinion?

I dont recognize any nation or border on earth. For me it's a big joke... I'm a human being on this rock they call earth. I love France, I love spain, I love Canada, I love the US, I love Morroco, Algeria, Vietnam, Japan, you name it... I probably love it. About culture, I'm french, spanish, Jewish and since highschool you can add turkish, Arab, berbere and Muslim culture to the pot... And I probably should have mentioned other cultures...

You will get nowhere trying to put a nationality or a culture, or a religion on me... I dont feel the need to define myself or to chose a side...

And I understand pretty well... Do you think that I'm an angel, or a extremist romantic who would never touch a girl without asking her parents for permission?

What I said is pretty simple. Dont make me say something I didnt say.

I said that a human being have to control his sexuality. It means putting limit. Because if you have an uncontrolled sexual drive... You can get lost. Threats vary from STDs to perversion.

And I added that a human being have to control his animal urges. This is what we call a civilized man. A man controlled by his animal urges is called a savage.

Soldiers have to be disciplined and civilized. And I'm not asking you to castrate yourselves, or to turn into homosexuals or monks...

I say find another way. A sane one. In ancient times, there was armies traveling with their families behind them...

Prostitution isnt a solution. But it's a big big source of trouble... Military discipline can be threated by prostitution.

And is it so hard to understand when I say that the military should be exemplary to the rest of society?

Arent they supposed to be the finest society can provide?

Or should they be just men with guns... Okay, they may smell bad, and some of them are married to strippers... And they stink of beer and cigarettes... But we keep them anyway, because they are good when it comes to killing people we dont like...

This is a caricature... Discipline isnt just saying "sir yes sir" and obeying orders... It's hard and heavy... It means excellence.

I really don't think you know what you're talking about. It sounds to me that you want robots...not humans for soldiers.

Smoking....Both my parents smoked, my father lived to be 97 and my mother lived till she was 90 and they both smoked twenty a day of the high tar cigarettes. When I was in the Army they came up with rations and every smoked especially as they were free. Now cigarettes may hurt some people and not others but this fact seems pass people by. Now what happens if you give all these sorts of things in life, you might live a bit longer and wind up in an old peoples home dribbling down you shirt front, gawd wheres those fags.

Smoking....Both my parents smoked, my father lived to be 97 and my mother lived till she was 90 and they both smoked twenty a day of the high tar cigarettes. When I was in the Army they came up with rations and every smoked especially as they were free. Now cigarettes may hurt some people and not others but this fact seems pass people by. Now what happens if you give all these sorts of things in life, you might live a bit longer and wind up in an old peoples home dribbling down you shirt front, gawd wheres those fags.

You are right, there are people who smoke their entire life and have no ill-effects, but thats really more the exception than the rule. In my opinion, If you are going to take huge gambles on long-shots you are far better off going to Las Vegas.

The difference between rules for civilians and the military is that our rules are written in blood. The training is technical, one must learn how to do thing properly, but to reinforce that message we are also told why something must be done in a particular manner. Why don't you wear a wedding ring when handling a line while mooring a ship? Have you ever seen a ring finger with the flesh ripped clean off and nothing but bone remaining? I have. Why do you keep the pistol pointed down range at all times? Because those plastic dividers between the shooters won't slow down a bullet much before smashing into the person firing next to you. Why do you visually confirm that the magazine is empty and the chamber is clear before taking possession of a weapon? Because somebody did not do so and they ended up putting a bullet in themselves for a comrade on accident. Why do you loosen the dogs nearest the hinge side of the hatch first? Because if there's pressure on the other side you do not want to get caught between a bulkhead and a 200 lbs. hatch when the pressure blasts the hatch open after the last dog is loosened.

Whether we know the specific reasons or not, we know there is a good reason for our rules, laws and customs. We obey the laws and the orders for that reason, one doesn't need to know the reason to be disciplined, ultimately it doesn't matter, decisions are not made arbitrarily or on a whim. I do not understand why you keep coming back to discipline, ad hominen attacks will get you nowhere, especially when arguing against those who are in uniform. After my active time I went back to school, at a meeting I was asked the difference between the military and civilians, my answer was one word, discipline. The rules are almost identical for the military world and the civilian world, they really are. The only difference is the military has the discipline to follow the rules without demanding an explanation. Let's move beyond the discipline part here, we're getting nowhere by continuing to discuss it and calling a service members discipline into question is about the same as calling them a traitor.

As for your caricature, I'm not going to argue with it. War is a dirty business, you have mentioned ancient battle in your posts, but what did the aftermath of a battle smell like? Blood, sweat, piss and ****. Today it's pretty much the same, but add cordite and jet fuel to the mix. One of my favorite quotes, which I couldn't truly appreciate before enlisting is supposedly from Orwell although the origin is debatable, it goes as follows, "Men sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." To me that is a beautiful quote, I probably treat that quote as most would treat Shakespeare. We're not pretty, we don't smell of roses, and we may not be the most enjoyable company at times, but we get the job done, and that's what matters.

I only mentioned the cultural aspects to show that we have grossly different perspectives. At least in regards to your views on sex, you really are coming across as a romantic. For me, I'm fine with a drunken rendezvous in a bar. I'm only 23 years old, three months away from graduating and receiving a commission. I have plenty of living left to do and right now I am not looking for my soul mate or trying to find a future wife, I'm just out to have fun. When I do find a girl I like, I do not rush into the sack with her, I wait, dating is kind of like a dance. It's also a game, to compare it to a board game, it'd be like Stratego. That can backfire though, when we get down to it, women and men have a lot in common and sometimes, women, like men, just want to f***. I'm not talking about making love or even sex, just rough, dirty, and loud just absolutely pound it out and take care of business.

The true debate that has stemmed from this original topic, and I think this is the point other military members here have been trying to make, is that we don't believe prostitution should be illegal. There are safe and legal means of making it work, and it's not all women in the trade, the market exists for men to become prostitutes as well. Nobody here has said we are going to go out and pay someone for sex, damn the consequences! We are just voicing our opinions that we disagree with this decision. If you want to continue that debate, I suggest we create a new thread, since this discussion is quite off-topic. If you do create a new thread, I would like to recommend not implying or outright saying using the services of a prostitute represents a lack of discipline as that would only entice further responses like that from 03USMC. I however likely will not be participating in such a thread, I feel like we've both said our peace, and have really no hope of changing each other's view points and I'm content to move on to another topic.

I'm sorry, my answers can only be long... We are talking about so so many things at the same time...

Damien, stop being on the defensive please. I'm not here trying to harm people... We are debating. In a debate, nobody can get hurt, so there is no safety rules. You say what you want. And even if it's ridiculous, there is always some truth in it, unless the person saying it is completely crazy and talking in an unknown language...

And hearing a divergent opinion is a good thing. Especially if you have nobody to contradict your positions. Because you need an adversary to question our position, and eventually fix it or make it stronger.

If someday you have to join a think-tank... Well, get ready to hear some crazy stuff. Because they abandon normal theories in the first 30minutes, and when they start thinking outside the box... They wont stop at anything...

And this is aimed at 03. That intolerant coward who is scared shitless of different ideas...
All he can handle are buddies, telling him what he wants and expects to hear... Telling him your version of the truth, and it's panic... What a coward...

And Damien, I never said that war was pretty. But I say that there is pretty things even in war.
In war, you can still behave honorably toward a prisoner. And I explained that its a sound strategy. It's part of leaving the enemy some room to escape so he wont fight to the death.

Was is not just blood and guts and dogs eating dead corpses... We wage wars because they still have a good potential. Like liberating lands and people by destroying criminals...

And no, your ability to do the job isnt that important. What is important is moral values.

Man isnt defined by his superior intelligence. We are not intelligent enough to know what is good for us.
If hiring a strong brute to protect you seems like a good plan... It wont seem like a good plan once your enemies are dead and that the thug starts looking at you in a weird way, knowing that you cant face him in battle.

And as human beings, we are defined by our moral values. The big difference between a man and a monkey, isnt our ability to build planes... But our ability to think in a mater of right and wrong.

We can build a computer capable of making planes... But we will never be able to build a computer capable of thinking in a matter of right or wrong...

And Damien, I'm 26 now... And when I was 22. At my first job... Let's be honest, first time in my life that I had total liberty (plenty of money and no one to stop me)... I tried to "have some fun" like you.
And from my perspective in the next step I took in my life... It was the saddest days of my life...

If you told me so at that time, I couldnt have believed you...

Maybe it was a necessary step... Maybe not, I dont know. I've done some twisted things... Ignored many fine ladies. Made a few very sad...

But even when you are enjoying 7 beautiful women, and that you have 50 girls calling you in a week... Dont forget that you are all alone. You wont have all the women on earth, even if your hormones tell you so. And even if you are young and healthy like a bull... You are not immortal. Someday, you will feel tired. And you will need someone special to be there for you.

Enjoy your freedom. But start looking for a sane way of life, and try to not get used to bad things...
Sorry for the lecture, I'm sure you know what you are doing... Just sharing my experience. Nothing more.

LeMask, you may not know it yourself, but you're an entertainer. Rarely have I been so entertained. I love you man :p

Back