The "Slow Movement"

Duty Honor Country

I guess you can call me old fashoned in some sense. For the last few years, I have despised the rush culture that is evident here in the USA. Sometimes when I am driving, I will take the longer and more scenic route. This drives my wife nuts :dive:. My idea of a vacation is seperating my self from technology. My last 2 major vacations have been kayaking trips where the biggest piece of technology I had was my flashlight. My next vacation will be a 100 mile kayak trip in the sticks of Maine. Then there is the fact I would rather sit down and read a good book rather than go uot to a party somewhere.

Well today on the Discovery Channel there was some show on the history of rush culture in the USA. I guess in 1986, a group known as slow food protested the opening of McDonalds in Rome. The "slow movement" grew from there. Here are some links to the slow movement

http://www.slowmovement.com/index.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Movement

Am I alone in my views here or am I that loser my wife sometimes describes me as:horsie:?

Loser, definitely a loser :D
Well no, but I'm actually a quick eater, quick walker, quick talker. Only in bed do I take my time.

Sounds great to me Doody! I always have my low-technology vacations, which are awesome. Unwind, no mobile, fax or computer and no nagging... It is the best! In short: you are definatly not alone mate!

And IG studies about Italian prove that most Italian women that there men are also fast about the last point.... I wouldn't know, but that is what they said in the research... sorry, Dude!

Up to about 50-55 years old, I was finding myself leaving one plane and boarding another. I kept one suitcase and a small toolbox packed and ready. That's when I changed jobs. I felt like the John Candy character in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles."

"How about them Bears?" :)

Doody I am definitely with you on the low tech vacations. Beach, book, hammock, stocked cooler, snorkel, mask and fins and I am set... see you in a month. Driving, I would take the route with the least traffic to simply lower my stress. I dunno if this qualifies as the scenic route but it was definitely not the shortest. Its been easy to remove myself from that "rush" mentallity by living here, its one of the benefits.

I have changed attitude the last couple of years moving more and more over to non digital/sci/tech vacations and weekends; the most advanced digital bit I bring along is my watch.

Bulldogg, I share your point of view on the driving bit. I prefer one hour longer driving than one hour in a traffic jam.

Last edited:
Back