A slightly politically charged question

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
Well, I've been working for a couple weeks on getting a little jazz/blues/swing/country/wth band together, and I've come to a crossroad. A good start for an outfit like this is to play at churches and other religious functions, and I was wondering if I could expect problems playing at say, a synagogue or mosque. Being a Christian, but harboring no ill will towards other religions (it's the crazies that give them a bad name- we Christians have it too), should I expect conflict at a function outside of our band's normal religious setting and just be glad if it doesn't happen? What can I do to make sure my operational security is high at an event like this?

Hopefully, you'll be advised by the particular Church whether your music is allowed by their religion. My Wife's Church, and mine when I go, doesn't allow musical instruments at their functions.

If there's trouble, they'll most likely go after your expensive equipment and instruments. Don't take your eyes off those.

I've got no problem with any organized group- it's the individuals with the bad tempers that are the cause for alarm. I'm just trying to avoid a mixup over ethnicity/religion.

that was the plan- you don't barge into a church and jam it up minus warning:) I was more worried about offending any of the various sects we may encounter if we get off the ground.

What sort of conflict do you anticipate? What do you think would give rise to an offense? Seems to me that you may be expecting conflict or drama where none exists. If a non-Christian religious organization was going to hire you, it seems to me they would ask what sort of show you would do and communicate any special concerns they may have. Why do you thing that non-Christians would be any more prone to problems than if you played at a Church?

no, it's just a precaution to prevent any kind of social conflict that may occur. Don't jump to conclusions, I'm just trying to prevent offending anyone.

I've got to ask again...what leads you to suspect that anyone would be offended? Do you ask the same question of supermarket cashiers, people in restaraunts, folks on the bus, etc?

this is one of those "you never know" things. Think of it like a car accident- you don't plan to go out and create havoc on the roadway, but you have insurance for it anyway. A cop doesn't expect a drunk man on the sidewalk to assault him, but he carries a nightstick anyway. You see where I'm going? It's pretty much self-explanatory.

Why would a Jewish or Muslim organzation be any more offended than a Christian one? I don't leave my house every day worrying that someone might be offended by me.

I'm not saying that one would, necessarily. You're reading too much into a simple question, Insight. I guess I should have been more general- should I expect accidental offenses playing in any institution, and just be glad if it doesn't happen?

Then the answer is simple. No, you shouldn't expect accidental offenses unless your conduct is somehow offensive. If you are not doing anything offensive then you have no reason to worry. By the time we reach adulthood, most of us have learned to participate in society without upsetting people. There are always unreasonable idiots out there, but you can't worry about them.

living with two lawyers all my life has taught me to expect these little disturbances. Just wanted to see if I was taking a risk going through with this.

Anyway, I'm still looking for advice on getting this little project off the ground. Can anyone offer up information (personal experiences, general pointers, etc) for starting a jazz/swing band?

deerslayer said:
Well, I've been working for a couple weeks on getting a little jazz/blues/swing/country/wth band together,

While I am not an expert on all religions, as long as you are dressed appropriately and aren't doing sets similar to Doug Clark & the Hot Nuts, I can't see many problems with any religion with this kind of music.

I don't think the Mormons will be much business, but other than that, I can't see how you would offend.

should I expect conflict at a function outside of our band's normal religious setting and just be glad if it doesn't happen? What can I do to make sure my operational security is high at an event like this?

Go to the place a few times at their busy peak and check out the behavior of people in general. Talk with a few bands that have played there in the past, get their take on the place. If you do not feel comfortable within those settings don't play.

Many places will not let a band be harassed because that will inhibit other bands from coming. If they rely on live music to draw in customers there is a possibility they will lose business.

Back