SLAP Rounds in antimaterial rifles....

Lil Hulk 1988

Anyone know if any service has started to use the SLAP .50 cal round in a antimaterial sniper rifle? I know it is being used in the ma duece.

Better yet, How many here even know what a SLAP round is?

Saboted Light Armor Penetrator

I think a couple of countries have them in use.

The M1A1 uses a the SLAP-T round, Saboted Light Armor Piercing-Tracer.

Do you know what the SAPHEI round is or HEI-T/SD round?

What the M1A1 is using is the 120mm APFSDS-T which is way different.

SAPHEI is a semi armor piercing high explosive incendiary, actually a base fuzed kinetic energy semai armor piercing high explosive shell.
Things like that will be used against semi hardened targets like APCs and Helicopters.

HEI-T/SD is a high explosive incendiary tracer with self distruct hwta is a primary round for combating aerial targets.

Both are typical projectiles for 20-57mm automatic guns.
In the old days there was a bit more to the SAPHE(I) since projectiles like that were used by heavy naval artillery (5 inch up).

Yes the M1A1 and M1A2 SEP use APFSDS-T, HEAT-T, TPCSDS-T, MPAT, STAFF, KE-T,TP-T, and did use HESH for a while. Ask my dad he's right here.

Cadet Airman Adam Seaman said:
Yes the M1A1 and M1A2 SEP use APFSDS-T, HEAT-T, TPCSDS-T, MPAT, STAFF, KE-T,TP-T, and did use HESH for a while. Ask my dad he's right here.

HESH ? Did somebody mix the ammo with the ammo of the M1 with the older 105mm gun?

No the IPM1 fired High Explosive Squashing Head for about a year, the M1A1/A2 fires the HEAT.

"IPM1" do you mean M1 now?

EOD said:
No the IPM1 fired High Explosive Squashing Head for about a year, the M1A1/A2 fires the HEAT.

"IPM1" do you mean M1 now?

The M1 was an upaged of the IPM1 The M1 has a 120mm smoothbore.

XM1- 105mm Rifled
IPM1-105mm Rifled
M1-120mm Smoothbore
M1A1-120 Smoothbore
M1A2-120 Smoothbore
M1A2 SEP-120 Smoothbore

Hey this topic was on ANTIMATERIAL sniper weapons, not tank rounds. The SLAP round was developed for the .50" and 7.62mm in which the 7.62 failed at the time due to the barrel in the M60. True Sabot rounds for anti-armor weapons have been around since WWI.

My point was that the M1/IPM1 fired HESH while it had its 105mm but when upgraded to the 120mm fired HEAT and APFSDS-T.

EOD said:
Lil Hulk 1988 said:
Hey this topic was on ANTIMATERIAL sniper weapons, not tank rounds. The SLAP round was developed for the .50" and 7.62mm in which the 7.62 failed at the time due to the barrel in the M60. True Sabot rounds for anti-armor weapons have been around since WWI.

There is also a 5.56x45 SLAP.

Here the .50 (12.7mm):

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/slap.htm

Did the 5.56 make it through the barrel? The 7.62 chewed up a 60....

Lil Hulk 1988 said:
EOD said:
Lil Hulk 1988 said:

There is also a 5.56x45 SLAP.

Here the .50 (12.7mm):

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/slap.htm

Did the 5.56 make it through the barrel? The 7.62 chewed up a 60....

Don't know, have only seen the cartridge. Given the fact thet they have never shown up in use I think they must have caused some sort of malfunction.

Back