SLAMRAAM [Surfaced-Launched Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile]

in the beginning, what is the difference between the white tipped and silver tipped noses on the missles?

I am working on the specific answer to your question, concerning the painted or unpainted ogives, on the AMRAAM missiles.
Initial answer is that the the color has to do with whether it is for a "static display" round, WR round or a telemetry round.

Understand that the video is actually a marketing product and there is not a valid connection between the scene of missiles launches and missile(s) hitting the target(s).

I have attended several of those launches, but they were several years ago and I did not note the paint / unpaint status of the ogive.

My organization is responsible for the acquisition effort of that weapons platform and the authorized release of the SLAMRAAM data.

I will update as authorized.

The Chief 05
:salute:

Rabs and all,

Rabs is correct, there is not a radar or other sensor on board the SLAMRAAM. The vehicle has an antenna that connects the weapons launcher to a command and control infrastructure that provides the appropriate linkage to various sensors. It is envisioned that C and C infrastucture, currently called IAMD (Integrated Air and Missiles defense) would enable various Air Defense weapons platforms (PATRIOT, SLAMRAAM, THAAD, MEADS, and Stinger based platforms) to be directed upon aerial targets by several different Radar systems. i.e. PATRIOT Radar, THAAD Radar, Sentinel, even smaller radar systems not usually associated with the Air Defense mission set.
By integrating all the various sensor capabilities the Commander has available, with the number of different weapons plaformes available, the Combatant Commander has a number of different options in dealing with the many different threats present on the battlefield.
Currently the IAMD effort is one of the more technologically challenging, and exciting efforts ongoing.

The Chief 05 :mrgreen:

Back