Skittish Israel Pares F-35I Extras

rock45

Skittish Israel Pares F-35I Extras

Lockheed CEO: More Workshare A Possibility
By barbara opall-rome
Published: 17 November 2008

TEL AVIV - Stunned by projected program costs for their Israel-unique version of the F-35, Israel Air Force (IAF) and MoD officials are struggling to pare a hefty list of customized subsystems and add-ons that threaten to ground the aircraft as unaffordable.
Meanwhile, the CEO of F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) prime contractor Lockheed Martin dangled the possibility of more workshare for Israeli firms if the government places its orders promptly.
In September, U.S. program officials gave rough price and availability data to their Israeli counterparts, who reacted with sticker shock to the price tag of $200 million per plane. Since then, both sides have been seeking a new configuration that can meet Israel Air Force performance and budget requirements.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) General Staff had been expecting to pay about $2 billion - $80 million per plane - for the first 25 aircraft.
"Their budget was not in sync with the rough order of magnitude data they received. To put it mildly, they were overwhelmed," a U.S. government source said. "The customer was drawing from their experiences with the F-15 and F-16, which are third-generation, rather than a fifth-generation fighter with significant international content that is evolving and becoming real."
"It's unbelievable," a member of the IDF General Staff said. "First it was $40 million to $50 million, and then they [the IAF] told us $70 million to $80 million. Now, we're looking at nearly three times that amount, and who's to say it won't continue to climb?"
Pentagon estimates, based on Israel's letter of request (LoR) to the Defense Security and Cooperation Agency, put total program costs for Israel's planned 75-aircraft buy as high as $15.2 billion. That figure includes all 75 aircraft, engines, electronic warfare and C4I systems, training and logistics support and a host of other services, features and capabilities, including "unique systems for sovereign requirements." A fairly detailed summary of Israel's LoR was published in a Pentagon notification to Congress dated Sept. 29.
U.S. and Israeli sources say government liaisons are meeting or speaking almost daily in attempts to finalize a configuration for a program management review scheduled for mid-December. Once the two sides agree on an F-35I configuration, the U.S. government and prime contractor Lockheed Martin will be in a position to come up with a more reliable price.
"The Israelis were very aggressive in their demands, and their LoR was extremely extensive," the U.S. government source said. "The price estimate sent up to Congress was based on an educated guess of the total package. ... Now, they need to pick through the menu of options and separate the nice-to-have from the need-to-have."
Meanwhile, Lockheed executives have been doing their best to ease Israeli concerns while supporting government-to-government talks toward a JSF contract commitment.
In interviews here, company sources insist that Pentagon estimates to Congress unfairly misrepresented actual costs and that the flyaway price tag is not far removed from initial estimates. In a meeting last month with reporters here, Tom Burbage, Lockheed's vice president and general manager of the JSF program, estimated flyaway costs at $47 million in 2002 dollars or about $80 million in projected 2014 dollars.
"Remember, there are three distinct elements to this program," a company representative here said. "There's the baseline aircraft, there's infrastructure, and then you have to factor in all the nonrecurring development and integration costs associated with Israeli-unique systems."
He said of Pentagon cost estimates: "It doesn't mean it will cost that much, but just that it could cost that much."
More Workshare?
In meetings here the week of Nov. 10, Lockheed CEO Robert Stevens encouraged Israeli authorities and industry executives to consider the benefits of early commitment to the program.
He noted that seven Israeli firms already have secured a combined $200 million in contracts for JSF, and indicated that local workshare could grow significantly once the government's role in the program is definite. Burbage, in his visit last month, was more explicit, citing a potential $500 million worth of Israeli content for inclusion in the program.
"The earlier one can participate in the program, the greater the [industrial] participation," Stevens told reporters here Nov. 9.
Stevens wouldn't discuss projected Israeli costs or details regarding local technologies and subsystems to be included in the program.
"Our job right now is to support government-to-government discussions on configuration, scheduling and price."
Nevertheless, the Lockheed chief said Israel's contractual commitment would generate greater returns on the government's overall acquisition investment.
"Capital investment adds to the quality of the product, the sustainability of the product and the satisfaction of the customer," Stevens said. "Israel has an opportunity to become a global partner over time."
He added, "Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, there won't be a more affordable, capable and sustainable aircraft than the JSF." ■

Link
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=3823104&c=FEA&s=CVS

The price sure seems high doesn't it. Once Israel works out what they want in the aircraft the two sides will get a better handle on pricing. The first steps are always the hardest and somebody had to be first right.

Isn't it kind of "wrong" for the program to allow Israel to have more 'stuff' in their F-35s than those of the partner countries who actually financed and promoted the project way from the beginning? :-(

Not sure if more is what will be happening I think think some Israeli sub-systems will make into their birds that others wont get. The F-16I are slightly different I believe compared to other Vipers so it will sort of be along those lines.

Not many countries can produce such systems to begin with that are or might be better then LM made. The ones who can might down the road be offered the same type of deals.

These types of ventures are hard to figure out not much is open to the public at this stage and aircraft itself isn't even finished yet, so time will tell.

I would like to think that if Turkey saw something good in the Israeli design that some how down the road the same or similar system could be built into their birds. Can't see LM not supporting the customers request unless major production lines changes are needed to be made.

Last edited:
Can we get a trade in on F4s? :)

The F-16I are slightly different I believe compared to other Vipers so it will sort of be along those lines.

Not slightly, alot. We put alot of stuff that we need in them but its not more, its just diffrent and modified for our tactics and operations. We do this with almost every single piece of equippment and its no big deal.

In terms of stealth, will the F-35I be any superior than the versions the partners will procure?

woudent know but its not our part. israel dose eelctronics and stuff, not the platform design itself...

In terms of stealth, will the F-35I be any superior than the versions the partners will procure?
Export costumer cost much more money, for an example the C-17 Globemaster III cost with initial configuration $218 million , but Canada buy 4x C-17 Globemaster III with little modification and the price changing for 240 million dollar unit.

The modification don't mean better but mean extra money because the initial configuration are 40 million dollar for an F-35 , and Israel don't participated on this joint project who all participated for build a monster aircraft for what the nine country need and everyone were agreed with the multi-role one engine fighter with low cost maintenance and his primary role are for the bomb strike.

Canada found in 2000s , 4.000 mistake on the F-18 multi-role aircraft, the first design of the F-35 was based between F-22 and F-18...canadian industry L-3 communication who founded the mistake on the F-18 , sent the rapport. The design changed for unique aircraft with less performance than F-22.

But the F-35i don't mean better only modification from the basic configuration, i imagine the helmet-mounted sight, HUD, mission computer, presentation computer, and digital map display and few modification under the wings cost much more money than the basic configuration proposed by Lockead Martin

Last edited:
i imagine the helmet-mounted sight, HUD, mission computer, presentation computer, and digital map display and few modification under the wings cost much more money than the basic configuration proposed by Lockead Martin
What makes you think these items won't be in standard F-35.

Can you provide a link to the:
4.000 mistake on the F-18 multi-role aircraft

Last edited:
What makes you think these items won't be in standard F-35.

Can you provide a link to the:

I don't have any links that was in Radio-Canada (cheap BBC in Canada)

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/f18-hornets-keeping-em-flying-02816/
, here a links about the crack founded by L-3 Communications MAS on the USAF/Canadian (C/)F-18 fleet, L3 MAS have 40 years experience in the C-130 maintenance and 20 years in the F-18.

http://www.mas.l-3com.com/

Here a links of L-3 Communications MAS

CC-130 in inspection/maintenance
c130hk5.jpg

Fleet02.jpg

F-18 inspection/maintenance
sidedepotro0.jpg

Inside a CF-18
Fleet01.jpg

CF-18 in PHASE II modernization
Side-05.jpg

That F/A-18 link is a useful link I posted it in a different forum but it's about the upgrades. It's a really cool history about the different upgrade path the Hornet has taken and not about 4,000 mistake on the F-18 multi-role aircraft.

The Hornet has a very good record overall and USN Hornet put a lot of hours of flying on their fighters/frames and are pleased. Most Hornet users like there fighters and Canada just upgraded a handful not too long ago. It is very normal that over time repairs, service upgrades, etc, are needed. That 4,000 numbers just doesn't sound right that why I asked.

Quote from the web site

Note that “center barrel sections” refer to the middle chunk of the plane where the wings joint the body. As one might guess, replacing them is a somewhat involved process, and is also very helpful in extending the airframe’s fatigue-hour limits.
Oct 23/08: The US Navy orders inspections across its 636 plane Hornet fleet, after cracks are found in aileron hinges on 15 aircraft. Read “Aging Aircraft: Cracks in USA’s F/A-18 fleet” for more.

Last edited:
http://www.radio-canada.ca/actualite/v2/decouverte/niveau2_liste91_200810.shtml

Click on the video (In French)

spacer.gif

[Le reportage de Daniel Carrière et Yves Lévesque]
cam.gif

L-3 found 1400 crack on the F-18, 3000 problem due of the corrosion ect. L-3 are reputed around the globe for his expertise. Canada and Australia accelerated the age of the F-18 for 40 years and they found alot of problem due of the designs on the wings. The US gouvernement sent all his aircraft at L-3 in Mirabel (canada) for a long 150day of inspection, same for australia and switzerland who use the F-18.

The research founded on the F-18 helped the F-35 devlopement.

Last edited:
For a simple conclusion, the CF-18 fleet was obsoleted in 2000s, and canadian government give 40 million per F-18 for modernization and keep them flying for 2017. The L-3 found 1400 crack on the F-18 in principale location in the wings and the engine. L-3 are reputed around the globe due of the expertise, and canada is a world leader for aviation and maintenence of helicopter/aircraft like the F-18 and Hercule C-130 maintenence since 40years. L-3 are a communication industry like Raytheon, again reputed around the globe, all the data from L-3 was sold to the US/Australia/Switzerland gouvernement.

Last edited:
I made a little photoshop (very fast and cheap) , about the modification from L-3 communication. Is a "Patch" for the CF-18 for still keep them flying for 2017.
cf18hw1.jpg

Back