The skinny on the Westboro Baptist visit

jillyz12

Okay, so it seems that everybody's favorite hate mongers have already been in my town and I missed it. And would you like to know the reason for their protest? Lukewarm Christians. :shock: What the hell??? Can't they be found in every town across the globe? And more to the point, are you "lukewarm" if you're not rabid? Wow....they were really reaching this time. Looks like I made a mountain out of a mole hill. That was really anticlimactic! lol

What is a "lukewarm Christian"? I'm afraid I've never heard this term before? Or do you mean someone who isn't as extremist/left wing as those idiots?

Last edited:
Being a "lukewarm" Christian can have more than one meaning.

It really depends on who you ask and I'm not sure what this church believes. My guess is that they feel there are those who call themselves Christian and go to church on Sunday, yet aren't actively promoting their beliefs.

Last edited:
Being a "lukewarm" Christian can have more than one meaning.

Some view it as a person who claims to be a Christian yet not enthusiastic about spreading the word.

It really depends on who you ask and I'm not sure what this church believes. My guess is that they feel there are those who call themselves Christian and go to church on Sunday, yet aren't all "fired" up to spread the word.

Oh my, my EX mother in law loved to spread the "word" AND pray for you. Prayer is fine....all positive thoughts are quite welcome. Unless you are praying that said person becomes your religion! In my book, a no no. She would try to proselytize to my then alive Dad, after a surgery or near one of her holidays. He was raised in a different home, with extremely different religious views. Now that, was not right. She was what I call a " charismatic " Christian. But- she wouldn't judge me, of ALL folks! Tattoos and all. Odd, saw something. Like she just knew. Cannot explain it.
Anyone who judges another, or a group of folks is just plain wrong. They can discern, but not judge. I will not say that someone is fat. I might say (truly) "I discern that person may have a weight problem because of.....said health or psych problem". -a close gf of mine had a bad weight prob. She had psych & health problems!-!

What you put out is what you get back.
And some just do not get that!!! Never will.

Getting onto the topic of religion, I personally am Christian, of the Baptist sub-set. I go to Church on Sundays, thank God for every day. But I don't overtly care what other people believe. It's none of my business. Same thing with who they sleep with/fall in love with, if they drink or get tattoos. It's none of my business. The only time I really ever care is if they're doing something harmful to children - such as abusing the kid - because then I make it my business. But as far as I'm concerned, I don't pay attention to race, sexual preferences, gender, etc etc. All I see is Military Green or Civilian.

Getting onto the topic of religion, I personally am Christian, of the Baptist sub-set. I go to Church on Sundays, thank God for every day. But I don't overtly care what other people believe. It's none of my business. Same thing with who they sleep with/fall in love with, if they drink or get tattoos. It's none of my business. The only time I really ever care is if they're doing something harmful to children - such as abusing the kid - because then I make it my business. But as far as I'm concerned, I don't pay attention to race, sexual preferences, gender, etc etc. All I see is Military Green or Civilian.

I was raised by parents who were raised in very religious Jewish homes, "old school". They brought me up with traditions, not the religion itself. Respect for all cultures and religions... and every type of person. So thumbs up to you.

I whole heartedly agree about the children! I make it my business too

Luke warm Christian

I am a Baptist in a congregation that is mainly black, I’m white. The Lord doesn’t care what your race is. Many Black, European and Middle Eastern peoples appear in the Bible. We follow the teaching of Christ Jesus. We do pass on our beliefs if someone is interested, but not to the uninterested. Christ himself said not to do so.
A luke warm Christian is loosely defined as someone who says he follows Christ, but say drinks to excess, has extra marital affairs, steals, etc without regret. in general someone who claims to be a Christian but makes no attempt to actually act like one. In the end is not for me to say, since it is so easy to be judgmental.
There is no end to the number of groups who falsely represent Christ, giving us that do a black eye.

I am a Baptist in a congregation that is mainly black, I’m white. The Lord doesn’t care what your race is. Many Black, European and Middle Eastern peoples appear in the Bible. We follow the teaching of Christ Jesus. We do pass on our beliefs if someone is interested, but not to the uninterested. Christ himself said not to do so.
A luke warm Christian is loosely defined as someone who says he follows Christ, but say drinks to excess, has extra marital affairs, steals, etc without regret. in general someone who claims to be a Christian but makes no attempt to actually act like one. In the end is not for me to say, since it is so easy to be judgmental.
There is no end to the number of groups who falsely represent Christ, giving us that do a black eye.

By now you that I am not a Christian. A conscious, positive perjective thinking person, yes. Ye should not proselytize.
Groups that falsey represent themselves in ANY way have no place in my life. It is too short. My loved ones are too dear to me to be mislead.
Kudos to you JOC!

Well the way I've always seen it was that religion is for YOU not the other person. If you believe in God, great. It brings YOU peace. But it's not going to help the other person unless that's what they believe as well. It's hard to change what someone believes in the core...so why bother?

Back