Skiing: Neumannova wins 10K Nordic event

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

JIM ARMSTRONG

Associated Press

SAPPORO, Japan - Defending champion Katerina Neumannova of the Czech Republic won the women's 10-kilometer cross-country event Tuesday at the Nordic World Ski Championships.
Neumannova crossed the finish line in 23 minutes, 58.4 seconds to give the Czech Republic its third medal of the championships.
"I started off kind of slow at the beginning and knew I had to pick it up," said Neumannova. "I had some energy left at the end and was surprised I had such a big lead."
Russia's Olga Savialova took the silver medal 26.5 seconds back, while Italy's Arianna Follis won the bronze medal with a time of 24:28.6.
World Cup leader Virpi Kuitunen pulled out of the race, citing health problems.
Olympic champion Kristina Smigun of Estonia finished in ninth place.
Neumannova said she will finish out the World Cup events this year and then call it quits.
"I'm just going to focus on the World Cup races and then I will retire and have a big party back home," said Neumannova. "I have a child, so there will be plenty to keep me busy."
Neumannova won gold in the 30-kilometer race in Turin and silver in the 15-kilometer pursuit.
She said the gold in Turin was the highlight of her career, but the second gold in the world championships will make a nice addition to her trophy case.
"I waited so long to win the gold in the world championships two years ago in Oberstdorf," said Neumannova. "Turin is probably the biggest, but this is nice, too."
Savialova, who won gold in the 15-kilomter pursuit here, said it would have been difficult to catch Neumannova.
"She's in great shape so it would have been tough," said Savialova. "The first gold was great and I didn't expect to win another medal, so it's very nice."
The 2007 championships mark the first time the meet is being held as an independent event in Asia. In 1972, when the Winter Olympics were held in Sapporo, they doubled as the FIS World Ski Championships.
The Feb. 22-March 4 championships continue Wednesday with the men's 15-kilometer cross-country race.

Back