The Situation Here

The Other Guy

Spam King
WARNING: RANT/EXCESSIVE BACKGROUND INFORMATION

-----------------
Well, today (well I guess it's yesterday now) I went to the liquidation sale of City Center Mall in downtown Columbus, the last sign of living things in the downtown area sans government offices and banks. The mall was built in 1989 as an attempt to pull people back downtown and to get rid of several large empty buildings (once occupied by department stores). It was also designed to be centered around one of a dwindling number of downtown flagship department stores-- in this case the F&R Lazarus Company. A bridge, complete with stores, was built across High Street to connect the million square foot mall to the multimillion square foot Lazarus HQ. The mall put some sophistication downtown, and really did extend the life of the flagship Lazarus, which probably would have closed in 1991 or so had it not been for the mall. The mall also featured world famous Marshall Field and Company as an anchor along with Detroit-based Jacobson's, two stores that could scarcely be found in Ohio, much less Columbus, and two chain sit-down restauraunts, something never found in shopping malls. It even had an ampitheater in the center, which held free concerts, not just for local bands but for national pop stars. For customers used to shopping at JCPenney, Sears, and Lazarus, this was a huge upscale step that brought a TON of people downtown. For the next 12 years, Columbus almost looked like a real downtown again.

Then, in the 5-year span from 1997-2002, the City of Columbus built 3 new malls, all in up and coming suburban areas. These malls featured, of course, Sears/JCPenney/Lazarus, like every other mall in the area save for City Center, but also featured the likes of another Marshall Field's, Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Lord & Taylor. People flocked to the 'burbs, leaving the other suburban malls for dead, only one of which still stands today, on the east side. City Center managed to hold its own despite this until 2002, when the wheels fell off. Jacobsons went bankrupt, and Marshall Field's became Kauffman's, found eveywhere.

Then came Macy's, of NYC. They bought out Lazarus and closed the flagship store within a year. Shortly after they bought out Kauffman's. By this time there was a Macy's in all 7 malls in Columbus. With nothing left to distinguish it, City Center was left for dead. It took an amazingly long time, but this February the Mayor of Columbus finally announced plans to close the mall on March 5. It will be demolished this summer and replaced by a park with shops surrounding it. This may not seem too bad, but combine an unstable economy with the abject failure of the Mayor's "Northland Project" (which involved the destruction of an entire city block to build new stuff in 2003. The only current inhabitant of said city block is a Taco Bell) and you have a recipe for disaster.

My question is: Why is everyone scared to death of Downtown? I LOVE downtown! Everyone has fled to suburbia and sees downtown as a place to go to work and then go home. I believe that the decrepit cities are hurting this country mentally. I mean, I go downtown and see boarded up storefronts, along with failed attempts to revitalize the area (City Center) and I feel extremely cynical. What, there are 2 million people around the city, all comfortably, but no one in the heart of the city? The only downtowns that aren't decrepit and abandoned at this point are New York and Chicago. I believe that a project to save downtowns everywhere could do this country a favor; give them something to rally around.

-----
I know this is a rant that no one really cares about, but take note of my question about cities. And this place really meant a lot to me. Every pair of shoes I owned for about 6 years was purchased at Jacobsons.

Thoughts?

Actually that is my kind of rant. As a history major, the town center was the center of everything before the invention of the automobile. For me it is very interesting to see pictures form 100 years ago when the only thing that has changed is time. Then there is the fact that some of the best eateries are in downtown. Here in Clarksville we have the Blackhorse Brew Pub which has good beer and outstanding pizza. Since I am a cyclist, we will do rides on Sunday morning where we ride all through down town since there is no one on the roads.

I too have added to your randomness:p

The one thing Columbus used to have that it no longer does downtown was the flagship restaurant of Wendy's. Though it closed, we do still have the first Max & Erma's, a pretty big chain of mid-range priced food, sort of like a better version of TGI Friday's. But other than the Ohio State University Campus, which is really north of downtown, the city is dead.

Part of the problem with downtown in Louisville is that there is no place to park. Most of the parking garages are for hospitals or medical buildings. What's the use in going downtown if you can't park your car and go in somewhere. There are also a lot of turn of the century (1900) warehouses that have outlived their usefulness as warehouses. An enterprising (and rich) individual could turn these into condos with their own underground parking. It would eliminate some eye sores and move people back into downtown.

Columbus has parking; the giant Garage from City Center has thousands of spots. And Cleveland is currently converting warehouses into condos in an attempt to get people downtown. However I dont' think it's working...

Here in Virginia, there is this place called Springfield Mall. It used to be a very good mall. Tons of shops, restaurants, two movie theaters... etc. Then they extended the metro out to the mall and it whet ghetto quick. Lots of shootings, robberies and other crime. Locals would rather travel 15 miles to the other mall than go to this one. You go there now and the place is nasty. Most shops closed, no more theaters... basically a dump. Now the residence at another mall are fighting against the metro going there. They don't want it to go ghetto like Springfield.

Well I'm in the exurbs, but the only mall that has failed in recent memory is South Hills mall of Poughkeepsie. Someone had the great idea of building a bigger, better mall right next to it. I'm surprised it held out as long as it did against the Galleria.

Either way I hate malls and shopping. I get in and out quick, I don't look at them as a place to hang out like some people. I guess I'm one of those who "fled to suburbia" because I can't stomach the prospect of living in a city. I'm far too laid back for them, plus I like breathing good air and being able to use a car.

Last edited:
Back