SIR

Your right Top. Problem was it seemed like I was always gettin in line behind myself for the first couple years :lol:

Guy your worrying way too much. Get thru boot. Get thru your school. Get to your unit and do your job.

Oh no don't you dare even think about getting your buddy into trouble. The whole point is to learn to act as a team and lookout for each other. Never ever do anything to make your team look bad because the cadre will root you out like festering ingrown hair. Your team is your life, learn it know it, and never forget it.

DTop said:
Oh no don't you dare even think about getting your buddy into trouble. The whole point is to learn to act as a team and lookout for each other. Never ever do anything to make your team look bad because the cadre will root you out like festering ingrown hair. Your team is your life, learn it know it, and never forget it.

Many thanks... I consider this to be VALUABLE information

Don't worry, your buddy will get himself into enough trouble all by his lonesome. When it does happen you can just picture this post in your mind and smile (on the inside).

Its becoming more and more a purple world (Joint) guys...I recommend you learn the rank and protocol for the other services as well. Hard to believe, but there are service men and women of every service and literally every rank walking the halls of the Pentagon.

Okay so in the same lines as the SIR...
With the US allies and everyone that is in Iraq all the different nations, do you salute and say sir to officers and NCO's outside your countries branches? I know that you do in the different branches within the US and i would imagine you would for the other countries.

ok i was walking on my base a few years ago and had an american officer walk past me, now he wasn't wearing head gear therefore we don't salute but he threw a wobbley that we didn't................is this usual?

and why do you have to say sir yes sir after every word? or is it just sentence?

american military has some strange things going on there..............i'd defo be counted as a blonde with acting dumb if i was there!!!

straight over my swad like a plane

In recruit training you'll learn the rank for all the Armed Forces. However you abide by Naval Service Protocols when dealing with members of any service.

When you deploy you will be given a brief concerning rank recognition etc.

along those same lines - do you salute enemy officers?

kind a stupid question i know you don't in battle cause he would shoot you but like in meetings to the officers show their respect in another fashion or is it just understood "you don't like me and i dang sure don't like you"?

What about fellow enlised men with the same rank as you? If you're a PFC and you need to call another PFC's name, do you say PFC Jones, or Jones, or PFC, or what? Also, as far as other enlisted men, you have to say their rank, right? You don't have to say their last name, just rank?
And, as for officers, a Lt would call his CO sir or ma'am? And he would call fellow Lts? And again, does a Lt have to say the CO's last name, or his fellow Lts last name?
And how do officers address enlisted men? Rank, last name, both?
Thanks,
Lamm

It depends. If your both PFC's and carrying on a conversation your not gonna use your rank. If the Sgt. ask you who your A gunner is you might respond PFC Brown.

You address all officers as Sir. Officers in the presence of enlisted generally address each other by rank (if their the same rank) and last name such as "Lt'. Brown." They address their superiors as Sir.

Officers addressing enlisted depends. They might address you by your last name only in a field setting as in "Brown get the SAW over here"
In Garrison they will probably address you as "PFC Brown"

Actually you do salute enemy officers providing they are not known to be guilty of war crimes (and thus a prisoner denied the salute). It isn't "officially" required but is normally done. It's up to the victor when it comes right down to it though. Eisenhower wouldn't even meet with Field Marshal Keittel who signed the surender documents for Germany but sent his deputy instead. The deputy did not salute Keittel. However individual officers often did salute the enemy commanders who surrendered to them. You can see this in "Band of Brothers" (a true story not fictionalized) that Major Winters salutes the German general who surrendered to him.

As to saluting officers from foreign countries, I couldn't speak for any country other than the US but you damn well better even if they aren't wearing headgear. You salute them even if they're in their civvies if you know them to _be_ an officer just as you do an American officer. You do not salute of course if you are in _your_ civvies.

I'll never forget the day on course when I made the mistake of calling one of my instructors Master Corporal instead of Master Bombadier. I received a very....driven....lesson on history of the Royal Canadian Artillery and on how the Queen had granted them the ranks of Bombadier and Master Bombadier in perpetua; and on how it was a good thing i was infantry as it would be a very sad day indeed if I were to ever join the artillery....all of which was accompandied by a suitably driven training session which was designed to sharpen my mind while sharpening my body ;)

Back