Was the sinking of the Belgrano necessary?

unless for the fact that war happened is responsible only one side , then in my eyes for the crimes of war , everybody is responsible , especially the political leadership of a country that seeks war.

In any case regarding war either everyone or many should be punished or few or none should.

I am not sure what is the best course of action really.

In the case of those two nations , they should have learned their lessons but they did not.

Especially the British.

As the Argentine are mostly responsible for the conflict and suffered defeat , that conflict was also a positive lesson in disguise for their corrupt regime.

Alas after war is over often not all sides learn the important lesson of humility.

Last edited:
In the case of those two nations , they should have learned their lessons but they did not.

Especially the British.

What lessons should the British have learned apart from the importance of a carrier force, proper AAA cover and good boots that didnt leak?

What lessons should the British have learned apart from the importance of a carrier force, proper AAA cover and good boots that didnt leak?
As the Argentine are mostly responsible for the conflict and suffered defeat , that conflict was also a positive lesson in disguise for their corrupt regime.

Alas after war is over often not all sides learn the important lesson of humility.

------------

That the Para's shouldn't go so heavy on SMG's and more battle rifles be issued......they learned that too:p

That the Para's shouldn't go so heavy on SMG's and more battle rifles be issued......they learned that too:p

lol Gunny. I liked my SMG, it was nice and light to carry. If contact was hit I had a load of other blokes to fire back lol.

All kidding aside, I agree, for the area the Sterling was the wrong weapon to issue. The British issue SLR or L1A1 and the GPMG were the ideal weapons, good range, accurate and hard hitting

Last edited:
Recall reading about the Para's being deployed with an over abundance of sterlings and trading them out with captured Argie FN's during the tab across country. Fortunate in that they were pretty much SLR and L1A1 clones.

Recall reading about the Para's being deployed with an over abundance of sterlings and trading them out with captured Argie FN's during the tab across country. Fortunate in that they were pretty much SLR and L1A1 clones.
The FN FAL is the original & the Brits had the licence built copys.

Basically the L1A1 and the FAL is the same rifle. But there are a number of differences, the breech block had gooves cut into it to dispel dirt and crud, the rear sight, cocking handle, front sight, the gas regualator, the gas plug, the pistol grip, the flash hider and magazine were all different. If memory serves me correctly the firing pin was also different. However, both the FAL and the L1A1 were used more or less in exactly the same way.

The main difference is, the FAL was manufactured using metric measurements, while the L1A1 was manufactured using imperial.

Another weapon which was used during the Falklands to good effect, was the BREN gun, rechambered for 7.62 NATO.

When I was TA in the Queens Regiment, Charlie G gunners were issued the Sterling for self defence. I dont know if this was the case with the Para's or the Royal Marines.

I remember reading about either a Para or a Royal Marine picked up an Argentine FAL, was horrified at its dirty and overall poor condition. He stated that the Argentines obviously hadnt mastered the art of using a cleaning kit.

Last edited:
My understanding is that a majority of the troops used by the Argies to garrison the Falklands were conscripts that were ethier coming up on discharge or had just been inducted. Like any Latin American Army conscripts were taught enough to stop bullets and put rounds down range, doubt if weapons maintaince was high on the training schedule.

Not all were conscripts.The Paras fought Argie SF's and on Tumbledown the Scots Guards fought SF's too

Aware of that, most of the strong pockets of resistance were indeed SF types but they were the minority of the troops present.

Back