Singapore bans military blogs

--

November 21st, 2005  
phoenix80

Topic: Singapore bans military blogs

Quote:
Singapore bans military blogs

blogherald.com

Following on from recent charges for sedition against Singapore-based bloggers, the Singapore Government has announced a new crack down on blogs in that country, with military personnel now banned from blogging without official clearance being given for each post.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, at least three national servicemen including one of Singapore’s most popular bloggers were told by the Singapore Ministry of Defence and military officers to take down personal postings about army life overseas.

http://www.blogherald.com/2005/11/20...ilitary-blogs/
---------------
Singapore is such a strange country!
Chewing gum is forbidden there for instance!
November 21st, 2005  
Bory

There has got to be more to this story. I can see a reason if they are posting sensitive stuff, so I can't agree on it till I can find out more
November 21st, 2005  
Italian Guy

Right, Bory, there's got to be more. Although Singapore is anyway a very strange country. We used to have a member from there btw.
--
November 21st, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

well, singapore is a very careful country. And u can see that by seeing how clean it is. The like it the way i guess..lol
November 23rd, 2005  
Fox

^^ Yeah, did you know that gum is ban for Singapore. If you did chewing gum in Singapore. They gonna put you in Jail.
November 23rd, 2005  
bulldogg

The recent charges of sedition that they allude to in this story is about racist remarks that had been posted on a blog. The company, erm, country of Singapore invoked a 19th century colonial law still on the books to charge the men. They claimed the racist remarks were seditious because it was inciting people to violence against the country's Chinese citizens and would cause social unrest hence a seditious act. This blog is overreacting and making a serious generalisation. They are not outlawing military blogs. They are shutting down all blogs that contain anything they consider harmful to social order.
November 26th, 2005  
Bory

Well, racisim is an act of stupidity. The guys should be repremanded over it. The guys should have been made to change it, or have it shut down, not all Military Blogs.
November 26th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

who did it anyways??
November 26th, 2005  
bulldogg

Your usual clarity MacNutta is back I see. Perhaps when such a diverse subject is being discussed with many different player performing many different actions you could be more precise than offering up a question which for both subject and object contain nothing more than friggin pronouns.
January 4th, 2006  
zander_0633

Well, The case about my Government closing down the blog is because that those guys from the Army had posted sensitive stuff online! The posted stuff like how our army attacks and the formation when doing night raid and stuff! In the end those guys close the blog down. They also gave a public apology in the news paper.

Gum was ban in Singapore because some young punk put some chewed gum onto the doors of the train, causing the entire train system to stop for one day. Therefore our government had ban the Gum. They will fine you S$1000 if they see you chewing gum.

Other funny bans and fines in my country are, no spitting -- Fine S$1000