Singapore 47th National Day

viper2007

Yesterday, 9 August 2012, Singapore celebrates its 47th Independance (National Day).

This is the first year that I am not involved as a volunteer for the event, but rathe as a spectator- and I watched the event with my family. We reallyenjoyed ourselves and were absorbed in the atmosphere of patriotism- something that is difficult to avoid. I was so engrosed that I did not take any photos at all...

But I did find a website that showed photos of the celebration... please enjoy yourselves...

http://sg.news.yahoo.com//photos/singapore-national-day-slideshow/

For are country that has been been independent for 47 years may seemed a short time for some, but it did put Singapore into some not-so-good situations at certain period. When the British withrew back in '73, Singapore did not have a credible defence force. We were without proper economic programs for its citizens, people were still devided along communal lines, education was at best rudimentary. It took a group of people to turn all this problems into something else, something that Singapore is what it is now...

We are not a perfect nation- we have flaws, too. But we know that, and we will address that as best we can, in our way.

There were rumours a few days before the event that Mr Lee Kuan Yew, the first Prime Minister had passed on. It was disspelled when he made his appearance on the Day itself. I think, though this may be disputed by some, that Singapore will not be what it is if not for this man. He made Singapore viable, he did it in his way, and he succeeded at most of the attempts made.

Putting political views aside, my family and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves yesterday...

Thank you for your time...

Last edited:
Yesterday, 9 August 2012, Singapore celebrates its 47th Independance (National Day).

This is the first year that I am not involved as a volunteer for the event, but rathe as a spectator- and I watched the event with my family. We reallyenjoyed ourselves and were absorbed in the atmosphere of patriotism- something that is difficult to avoid. I was so engrosed that I did not take any photos at all...

But I did find a website that showed photos of the celebration... please enjoy yourselves...

http://sg.news.yahoo.com//photos/singapore-national-day-slideshow/

For are country that has been been independent for 47 years may seemed a short time for some, but it did put Singapore into some not-so-good situations at certain period. When the British withrew back in '73, Singapore did not have a credible defence force. We were without proper economic programs for its citizens, people were still devided along communal lines, education was at best rudimentary. It took a group of people to turn all this problems into something else, something that Singapore is what it is now...

We are not a perfect nation- we have flaws, too. But we know that, and we will address that as best we can, in our way.

There were rumours a few days before the event that Mr Lee Kuan Yew, the first Prime Minister had passed on. It was disspelled when he made his appearance on the Day itself. I think, though this may be disputed by some, that Singapore will not be what it is if not for this man. He made Singapore viable, he did it in his way, and he succeeded at most of the attempts made.

Putting political views aside, my family and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves yesterday...

Thank you for your time...

Bloody brilliant Viper, Singapore has achieved more in 47 years that many countries can never manage over hundreds of years let alone 4 and a bit decades. You have a country to be proud of Viper. Lee Kuan Yew was the right man at the right time.

I remember as my time in Singapore was winding down the Government adverts on TV, ordering men to present themselves for national service, I also remember seeing trainee's struggling along the roads in full kit on some sort of exercise.

I also remember public criticisms regarding the purchase of ex RAF Hawker Hunters for a £1 million apiece, what wasn't known by the public as far as I remember, the price included a massive amount of spare parts as well as training for aircrews and ground crews in UK. There were Singapore Defence Force personnel at RAF Wattisham when I was posted there, quite what they were learning I have no idea as Wattisham was an operational Lightning station, intercepting Soviet "Bear" aircraft entering British airspace.

What annoyed me when Britain pulled out of Singapore, we lost a brilliant overseas posting.

Congratulations to Singapore.:bravo:

Back