Since conspiracies are all the rage...




 
--
 
December 1st, 2011  
MontyB
 
 

Topic: Since conspiracies are all the rage...


The Glenn Miller Conspiracy
Hunton Downs has a new book entitled The Glenn Miller Conspiracy. Among Glenn Miller fans, it is very controversial because Downs contends that Major Glenn Miller did not disappear in an airplane crash over the English Channel on Dec. 15, 1944, the official story that was announced on Dec. 24, 1944 and reported in every major newspaper in America on Christmas Day.

Instead, according to Downs, the most famous bandleader of the Swing Era was flown into Germany to meet with generals opposed to Hitler. Downs claims that Miller spoke German, but that seems unlikely to anyone who listens to Miller's propaganda broadcasts, which were well-liked in Germany. Listen to this one from late November 1944 with special guest Hollywood actress and singer Irene Manning:

Downs says that anti-Hitler German generals accepted Miller's proposal to send only forces loyal to Hitler to fight against the Allies -- and agreed to alert the Allies in advance so that we could trap German troops while these generals flew to Berlin to take over the government.

According to Downs, Hitler found out about the plan. The Nazis captured and tortured Miller, resulting in his death.

What do you think of this theory? It has some followers. During the past two decades,other theories about Miller's disappearance also have been proposed.

What they have in common is that they assert Miller died under mysterious circumstances and not in a plane crash over the English Channel on Dec. 15th.


http://thepalomar.blogspot.com/2009/...onspiracy.html
December 1st, 2011  
MontyB
 
 
There are a number of Glenn Miller stories floating around and I personally think the one with the most traction is the one where the aircraft he was flying in was hit by bombs jettisoned from an aborted raid.

I tend to think these stories of him on "secret missions" are a little far fetched.
December 1st, 2011  
BritinBritain
 
 
In any war there are going to be all manner of conspiracy theories.

Take the Bader mystery for example then there was the theory that Churchill leaked the plans of the Dieppe raid to the Germans so that it would fail.

I know very little about Glen Miller except that he was a band leader of note. As for him being fluent in German, I have no idea at all.
--
December 1st, 2011  
lljadw
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
The Glenn Miller Conspiracy
Hunton Downs has a new book entitled The Glenn Miller Conspiracy. Among Glenn Miller fans, it is very controversial because Downs contends that Major Glenn Miller did not disappear in an airplane crash over the English Channel on Dec. 15, 1944, the official story that was announced on Dec. 24, 1944 and reported in every major newspaper in America on Christmas Day.

Instead, according to Downs, the most famous bandleader of the Swing Era was flown into Germany to meet with generals opposed to Hitler. Downs claims that Miller spoke German, but that seems unlikely to anyone who listens to Miller's propaganda broadcasts, which were well-liked in Germany. Listen to this one from late November 1944 with special guest Hollywood actress and singer Irene Manning:

Downs says that anti-Hitler German generals accepted Miller's proposal to send only forces loyal to Hitler to fight against the Allies -- and agreed to alert the Allies in advance so that we could trap German troops while these generals flew to Berlin to take over the government.

According to Downs, Hitler found out about the plan. The Nazis captured and tortured Miller, resulting in his death.

What do you think of this theory? It has some followers. During the past two decades,other theories about Miller's disappearance also have been proposed.

What they have in common is that they assert Miller died under mysterious circumstances and not in a plane crash over the English Channel on Dec. 15th.


http://thepalomar.blogspot.com/2009/...onspiracy.html
This theory is a lot of nonsens.
If it was true,why would it still be suppressed ?
If it was true,whe should knwn the names of the German generals involved,and killed
And,why should German generals want to meet Glen Miller,would there be no one in MI6 who was speaking German ?
The story has the same value as the story that Kennedy was not killed at Dallas,but lived secretly on a Greek island,owned by Onassis .
December 1st, 2011  
VDKMS
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
There are a number of Glenn Miller stories floating around and I personally think the one with the most traction is the one where the aircraft he was flying in was hit by bombs jettisoned from an aborted raid.

I tend to think these stories of him on "secret missions" are a little far fetched.
I too think that's what happend. Another rumor I've read was that he was mortally sick and died in a hospital.

No matter how he died his music is still very much alive and I like it.
December 1st, 2011  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lljadw
This theory is a lot of nonsens.
If it was true,why would it still be suppressed ?
If it was true,whe should knwn the names of the German generals involved,and killed
And,why should German generals want to meet Glen Miller,would there be no one in MI6 who was speaking German ?
The story has the same value as the story that Kennedy was not killed at Dallas,but lived secretly on a Greek island,owned by Onassis .
I don't disagree however the Glenn Miller conspiracies are interesting because there are quite a number, there is everything from his plane just crashed, killed by the Nazis on a secret mission, killed in the company of a French prostitute and hushed up, killed by bombs from an RAF aborted mission, didn't die at all during WW2 but died secretly in 1951 in a hospital in Ohio.

For some reason this guy has managed to generate a lot of conspiracies although I have no idea why.
December 2nd, 2011  
senojekips
 
 
It has been reported that Glen Miller is alive and well, living up a tree, behind the bike shed at our local High School. He doesn't come down a lot, as his arthritis is very bad.

He must be about, as I heard him and his band playing on the radio only a week or so ago.
December 2nd, 2011  
BritinBritain
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
It has been reported that Glen Miller is alive and well, living up a tree, behind the bike shed at our local High School.
We had to grapple with girls behind the bike shed, if we didn't they beat us up.
December 2nd, 2011  
MontyB
 
 
Ok well how about this one...

Glenn Miller 'died under hail of British bombs'
Aviation researcher claims wartime mystery of big-band leader's death on flight to France has been solved at last

Peter Lennon
The Guardian, Saturday 15 December 2001 11.17 GMT

On December 15 1944, a single-engined Noorduyn Norseman aircraft left Twinwood Farm airbase in south-east England for Paris, carrying the hottest big-band leader of the era, Glenn Miller.
Within two minutes, the plane had vanished into the fog for ever. Not a trace was ever found, nor any reason for its disappearance established.

Wild theories abounded about Miller's fate - that he had been imprisoned and tortured to death by the Nazis was a favourite, while the more disrespectful whispered that he had died in the arms of a prostitute in Paris and it had to be hushed up.

Now documentary makers have come up with the most convincing and detailed explanation yet for his disappearance: he was the victim of friendly fire - or, more accurately, friendly jettisoning.

Glenn Miller was the man who put American bobbysoxers in the mood for jiving and sent them swooning to their beds with a moonlight serenade.

With his bland features, thin lips and Wall Street rimless glasses, Miller looked as square as you can get, but he was one of the biggest pop stars of his day. His reputation was only enhanced when he patriotically disbanded his band in 1942 at the height of its popularity to lead the Glenn Miller Army Air Force Band.

He was setting out for Paris to organise a Christmas concert for the troops in liberated Paris when he disappeared.

The programme, to be broadcast on Channel 4 on New Year's Eve, has established that at 1.40pm on December 15 a fleet of 139 Lancaster bombers returning from an aborted mission to Germany dumped their bombs above the English channel - and right on to Miller's plane.

Fred Shaw, a navigator on one of the Lancasters, was a witness. The programme makers discovered an amateur film interview made with Mr Shaw shortly before he died in retirement in South Africa some years ago.

"I had never seen a bombing before," Mr Shaw said, "so I crawled from my navigator seat and put my head in the observation blister. I saw a small high-wing monoplane, a Noorduyn Norseman, underneath.

"'There's a kite down there', I told the rear gunner. 'There's a kite gone in'. He said, 'Yes, I saw it'."

Mr Shaw did not make the connection with Miller until, in 1956, he saw the film The Glenn Miller Story.

At the time, he was dismissed as a publicity seeker. In any event, there were a number of apparently unanswerable questions. Miller's inexperienced pilot had failed to register a flightpath, so how could it ever be proved that his plane had crossed the path of the Lancasters?

There was also a full hour's discrepancy in flight times. And how did Mr Shaw recognise a Noorduyn Norseman, a Canadian plane of which there were only half a dozen in Britain, all in American airbases?

Mr Shaw answers the last question easily: he got his navigation training in Manitoba, Canada, where the Norseman was in constant use.

The other questions required the expertise of Roy Nesbit, an aviation historian and now the RAF editor at the public record office.

Mr Nesbit devoted years of research to the problem.

"First, the Norseman had no option but to travel on what was called the SHAEF shuttle to France [the route employed by the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces]", Mr Nesbit told the Guardian.

The south-east coast was bristling with anti-aircraft emplacements, but a route had been cleared for flights.

Another crucial spot was the jettison zone, a 10-mile circle where loaded bombers could dump their perilous 500lb cargoes.

This zone was never openly marked on maps or in official records, but Mr Nesbit, who has special access to documents, was able to pinpoint it to a spot which is within a couple of miles of the SHAEF shuttle path.

Miller's pilot is known to have had little expertise in flying by instruments and would have used a compass - notoriously unreliable when flying over an area with no landmarks - meaning he could easily have strayed into the jettison zone.

Mr Nesbit believes that he has also cleared up the fatal discrepancy of one hour.

"I was able to establish this by comparing logs written in the air with operations in the record book," he said. "The Americans used local time, but we used Greenwich mean time, which gives the hour's discrepancy."

So there was the big-band king, right on target. But is this proof enough?

"I asked the Ministry of Defence if they would challenge my calculations," Mr Nesbit said.

"They said, 'there is nothing wrong with your calculations, but the proof is at the bottom of the Channel'."

After sea, salt, sand and fast tides have done their work on the fragile Norseman, the only thing likely to survive is the plane's engine block, which is reckoned to be about one metre wide. Here a Channel 4 fishing expedition with specialised equipment drew a blank.

Mr Nesbit is anxious to stress that he is simply a researcher, with no taste for conspiracy theories.

In the coming year his book, Missing Believed Killed, will be published - in which he analyses the case of Amy Johnson, the first woman to fly solo from England to Australia.

On January 5 1941 her plane crashed in the Thames estuary. Her body was never found.

"She was supposed to have been shot down by an RAF fighter," Mr Nesbit said.

"But I was able to calculate that the chap was 15 miles away at the time. She just ran out of fuel."

Glenn Miller's Last Flight will be shown on Channel 4 on New Year's Eve at 8pm.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/de...ities.research
December 2nd, 2011  
BritinBritain
 
 
The problem I have with Glen Miller being killed by British bombs is, the RAF bombed at night which would have meant that all aircraft returning from a raid would have landed by the time Glen Miller would have taken off.

"The programme, to be broadcast on Channel 4 on New Year's Eve, has established that at 1.40pm on December 15 a fleet of 139 Lancaster bombers returning from an aborted mission to Germany dumped their bombs above the English channel - and right on to Miller's plane." 1:40pm is as far as I am aware way beyond the time British bombers would have landed.

I cannot see the USAAF bombers taking off in such bad weather conditions.
 


Similar Topics
Rage grips Pakistan over NATO attack (Reuters)
Another vid: Road Rage
Georgia opposition calls for Day of Rage protest (Reuters)
Conspiracies - part I.
Rage Report - 9/11 and al Qiada