Simple Question, Iraq...

Are coalition efforts working?

• Yes, I think so.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No, I do not think so.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Insurgent and Coalition forces, have locked heads.

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
I know, all of us have heard this dozens of times before, how is the coalition efforts going in Iraq?But many of us are aware of the negativity the media has been giving it. But, me, just minutes before making this thread, seeing a bridge, and a Government building attacks aftermath. I'm beginning to wonder again.

Even though in my opinion the media has gotten a little better at least mentioning the smaller coalition successes. I still feel blinded on what the men and women of the coalition think.

Thats basically what I am asking here. Because after asking some people when the war of Iraq may come up in conversation, "do you think we are going to prevail in Iraq?" I get usually no, and a short remark along the lines of, "its not going good over there" . Knowing a majority of the people I ask, are only looking at possible glimpse of the story.

So, understanding OP-SEC, I ask any coalition worker, or servicemen or women, who have spent time in Iraq, or Iraqi waters, the simple question, based on your time there, how do you think it is going?

If you look at the myriad of threads that touch on this issue you will clearly find that our members who have sand in their boots will ALL tell you that the media is giving you a false picture of the reality of the situation on the ground. It IS working but that doesn't fit into their agenda so you won't hear that coming out of Katie Couric's mouth any time soon.

"If it bleeds it leads, if it builds it's killed."

Baghdad is the only place where unrest is annoying. The rest of Iraq is calm and you don't hear much about them on MSM

Baghdad is the only place where unrest is annoying. The rest of Iraq is calm and you don't hear much about them on MSM

Hence why the British and Australians will be pulling out soon, Basra and the surrounding province, which was the area the British were in charge of, has seen little violence since the start of the war so their mission is accomplished. A majority of the Iraqi provinces have seen very little bloodshed since March-April 2003.

Hence why the British and Australians will be pulling out soon, Basra and the surrounding province, which was the area the British were in charge of, has seen little violence since the start of the war so their mission is accomplished. A majority of the Iraqi provinces have seen very little bloodshed since March-April 2003.

And also add northern Kurdish provinces where the people enjoy a prosperous and healthy life style, thanks to American support since 1991.

Al-Anbar province and parts of Baghdad are still problematic and these problems won't go away until the regimes in Iran & Syria are dealt with and Saudis stop funding al-qaeda

At any time the insurgency could blow up again.

Here is a question for you..... If you were a thug.. criminal... and all of a sudden, your local police force doubled, would you continue or lay low until they left? These guys aren't stupid and we are getting a false sense of security.

Look at what happened yesterday at the Parliment Building. That was a warning that they can get to anyone in Iraq, anytime, any place.

Dont be fooled.

Ofcourse it´s working.

Could some things have been done better? Yes, but this is the hand dealt to the troops, they will eventually make it work.

As for TI,s comment above.
Yes the insurgency may very well blossom again if too much troops are pulled out too fast.
But we need to remember, there have been very few successful attacks inside the green zone while it is a highly prioritized target for the insurgents.
That I think speak volumes about how (relatively) safe it has actually gotten.

Some thoughts on the subject.

After the terror attack in Iraq Parliament and death of three lawmakers, the answer should be no. If Green Zone is not safe so coalition efforts are not working.

At any time the insurgency could blow up again.

Here is a question for you..... If you were a thug.. criminal... and all of a sudden, your local police force doubled, would you continue or lay low until they left? These guys aren't stupid and we are getting a false sense of security.

Look at what happened yesterday at the Parliment Building. That was a warning that they can get to anyone in Iraq, anytime, any place.

Dont be fooled.

You were there, right? Whats the solution to this?

Not too sure where you get the idea we'll be pulling out from (especially since we're currently ramping up middle east ops and deploying more soldiers) or the idea that these regions aren't seeing violence. It may not get the coverage that Baghdad gets, but try telling that to the lads of 2 Cav, 5RAR, or the AATT-I. We may move from one region to another once the situation is stable in the current TAOR (eg. Al Muthanna), but it just means we move to find a new task where we can be of more use, hence the Overwatch Battle Group West in Dhi Qar, SECDET, Australian Army Training Team Iraq, Australian Joint Task Force Headquarters, the RAAF C-130 det, the RAAF AP-3C Orion dets, HMAS Toowoomba, the Combined Explosives Exploitation group, and some various other bits and bobs I can't be bothered listing.

I hope those troop movements, along with other new structures of Iraqi government coming more independent, will help finally stabilize the country.

I dint like all this insurgency crap. I mean, they will fight to the end of time, but, they look at us as evil conquers , bent on the destruction of their ideals, and religion. Which, as far as I know, we haven't attack their religion in any way, whatsoever, since the beginning of the War, or the last GPWID , or 91. Which they say U.S., and U.S. allies forces in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, was a embarrassment to them. Helping start all this insurgency and terrorism mess.

They call us evil sons a b****s, but, we have died, and killed, just like them, for what we believed in, are we really not that different?

(NOTE: I am not a terroist loving Panzy, but no fan of dead Iraqis, and Allied soldiers, from ISAF, to the USMC, to the British army, if they wear that friendly flag on their shoulder, then God bless em, all of them.)

Last edited:

Mission Accomplished? Sounds familiar. Where I have I heard that before?:)

A couple of things.

1. The idea that the British are leaving because Basra is safe is pure Washington Spin control. The general feeling is that its getting more and more dangerous. 4 British soldiers were killed there just 3 days ago.

2. The reason the British are leaving is due to the fact that Blair is in political hot water back at home. The consensus is that if Labour continues to support the Iraq war (which is extremely unpopular) the public might not support them come the next election. Or worse, Blair would face a no-confidence vote by his own party. His agreement to withdraw British troops was a gesture to political forces (soon-to-be Prime Minister Gordon Brown) back at home.

Americans will be with only a hand full of allies still in Iraq then?
Well, the British did a fine job there, and , I think their withdrawl will have a big impact on the U.S. and other allied forces there.

The impression I get from the media in the U.S. is that we are stuck in a cat-and-mouse struggle with the insurgents that will be extremely difficult to bring to an end. A regular army can't defeat terrorism, and terrorists can't defeat a regular army. It is my perception - based on the news media and reading these boards - that the U.S. military's only true weaknesses are public opinion back home, and its morality, which is a major handicap in fighting this type of insurgency.

The impression I get from the media in the U.S. is that we are stuck in a cat-and-mouse struggle with the insurgents that will be extremely difficult to bring to an end. A regular army can't defeat terrorism, and terrorists can't defeat a regular army. It is my perception - based on the news media and reading these boards - that the U.S. military only true weaknesses are public opinion back home, and its morality, which is a major handicap in fighting this type of insurgency.

Then whats the mentality of the insurgents? They must have weaknesses too.

The weakness of the insurgents is that they do not have the funds or the technology of the most powerful military in the world. I thought this one was kind of obvious. But in terms of morale, you really can't beat someone who will sacrifice their own children just to blow you up. They sure are dedicated.

The scary thing is , what if they get friends in high up places? I mean, what if they smuggle in , or buy the technology we have? Then what? How could we fight that?

It would be a insurgent force, but, on a military scale, a army. We can fight armies, but, a army of insurgents, the ones that are causing multiple problems in the middle east?

I don't see how they could possibly get the money or the support to raise an army. And where would they do it? None of the other Middle Eastern countries wants to get rolled on like Iraq and Afghanistan.

The insurgents greatest strenght is that they are few in numbers hiding amongst a lot of people.
Some give passive aid, some doesn´t know insurgents live amongst them.
If they increased their numbers in the way you are suggesting they would be easier to confirm and after identified they would get handeled with the utmost speed and efficiency.

Their only way to "win" this war is if america with allies decides to withdraw without atleast guaranteing the most basic security so the Iraqis themselves can hold the fort once the allies are out.

intel and small unit operations along with large security forces while training WELLSCREENED Iraqis for the security forces is the way to go IMHO, but that requires no time limit..It´ll have to take the time it takes.
Are the americans in for the long haul?
THAT is the question.

Back