A Silent Moment or two

SwordFish_13

Hi,

Today Being December 3 ...............and this day mark the 20th anniversary of the world's worst industrial accident, at Bhopal in India.............that has killed 20,000 people till date..............The ones that died on that dreaded day were the lucky ones because they were relieved of the suffering..........the ones that were left behind were left to die a slow painful agonising life that is worse than death. :(

The accident at Union Carbide's pesticide plant in Bhopal in 1984 killed 8000 people immediately and injured at least 150,000. It remains the worst industrial disaster on record, and the victims are still dying. The company paid $470 million compensation to a trust in 1989. The survivors say they received around $500 each and claim the clean-up efforts were inadequate

Read the full Article HERE

Union Carbide caused the world's worst industrial disaster in Bhopal in 1984. Thousands died that night but the effects of the toxic gas have killed 20,000 people to date and one person a day dies in Bhopal due to the lasting effects of the disaster.

Dow Chemical, since its merger with Union Carbide in 2001, has refused to assume these liabilities, despite the fact that over 20,000 people in vicinity of the Union Carbide factory continue to be poisoned by toxic chemicals in the groundwater and soil contamination.

In fact, in a recent memo to all employees, the CEO of Dow Chemical, Michael Parker, states categorically, "But what we cannot and will not do - no matter where Greenpeace takes their protests and how much they seek to undermine Dow’s reputation with the general public - is accept responsibility for the Bhopal accident."

New evidence indicates Union Carbide installed a poorly designed factory and cut costs to compromise on safety and maintenance systems. Dow says it wants to be a "responsible corporate citizen" and that "protecting the people and the environment must be part of everything we do and every business decision we make". It is difficult to see how Dow can claim to be a sustainability leader while not accepting responsibility to address the continuing tragedy in Bhopal

Read the Full Article HERE .

And the ones responsible are hiding in their Cozy homes in United states..

And how does DOW respond it sues the remaning Survivors...........Slaps a few lawsuits on them.

Dow obviously has other ideas because they are suing survivors for about US$10,000 for "loss of work". That's US$10,000 compensation demanded for a two hour peaceful protest where only one Dow employee briefly ventured out of the Mumbai corporate business park to meet the women protestors.

Read teh Complete Article HERE
:roll:

Click here to Explore the abandoned Union Carbide Plant in Bhopal

BBC Article on the tragedy Click here --> : Bhopal remembers toxic gas leak

Soem fresh Evidences By UN suggest that the ground water is still polluted there .................DOH refuses these claims

--Good Luck--
-=SF_13=-

RIP

I really do feel for india on this..................the industrial factory still stands as a reminder to what had happened. People still st this moment in time are dying from the contamination of this tragic event. Kids that were born after still today suffer from the germs etc. So like you said where are the people who are responsible or the people who have the ability to do something...............................like you said sitting on their healthy arse's in USA.

Its time that people stop being selfish and realise that lifes of adults and children are still at stake.......................

A sad day for every1 yet no one apologise!!!

RIP for the poor souls...........................

Well I know that when I'm looking for the truth, I turn to Greenpeace. :roll:

It sounds like it was a terrible accident, but jumping the gun and pointing fingers (from what sources you provided it appears the investigation is not even near completion) does not seem to me to be a very responsible move.

Hi

Being a Greenpeace Activist i trust their sources ...............The point is neglignece.............Everything comes down to lack of safety measures .

And why dosen't he show up in the court CEO Union Carbide?

And the attitude Shown by Doe Chemicals was regratable

A indipandent Analysis By a Lisa McDonald, a freelance journalist. : HERE

And a few AssHoles are Playing shitty games

"Today I am very, very happy to announce that, for the first time Dow is accepting full responsibility for the Bhopal catastrophe," company spokesman Jude Finisterra is supposed to have told BBC World television.

Read the complete Article here

This was a joke someone played on a BBC Show when they clamed that Dow has clamed full responsibility.

"This morning at 9 GMT, (and at) 10 GMT, BBC World ran an interview with someone purporting to be from the Dow Chemical Company about Bhopal," the BBC said on its latest news bulletin.

"This information was inaccurate, part of an elaborate deception. The person did not represent the company. We want to make it clear the information he gave was entirely inaccurate."
Read the Complete Article
HERE

'Chemical Hiroshima' haunts still

[edit]
Dow official impersonaters lie to reporters:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=300005

You shouldn't take accusing a person or group of people of the utter heartlessness you are here without being completely sure of your sources.

What are you talking about and who are you saying to be sure about your Sources? and what is it about?............I saw your post after i posted ths and have covered it in this post even before your post.................this is some gentelman who posted to be a Dow official on BBC and said that Dow has taken full responsibility of the disaster while he was not form Dow................People take pleasure in weird thigs ...............i mean look at all those people who had suffered this disaster and they heard this news and the next moment they hear no he was lying. sad this is freaking sad

-=SF_13=-

SwordFish_13 said:
What are you talking about and who are you saying to be sure about your Sources? and what is it about?............I saw your post after i posted ths and have covered it in this post even before your post

-=SF_13=-

Say what?

I'm telling you to be sure of your sources, avoid using those with clear biases. Relying on Greenpeace for accurate information on a chemical company seems a bit like relying on the ex-Iraqi Information Minister for accurate and impartial information on the United States military.

ahhhhhhhhh

green peace have been known to break the law occasionally and are a pain int he back side............................the amoun t of times they have crossed the royal navy and lost........................caused so much problems and i believe it they will amke up stories for the better of them

Hi,

Okey trying to avoid Greenpeace :

Bhopal the Story So far

December 2-3, 1984:�Methyl isocynate gas leaks from the Union Carbide factory in Bhopal, killing 2,000 people instantly.

December 4, 1984: The Bhopal police files its first information report.

December 7, 1984: Union Carbide Chairman Warren Anderson, the prime accused, and eight others are arrested. Anderson is released on bail of Rs 25,000.

December 1, 1987: The Central Bureau of Investigation files chargesheets against Anderson and 11�others including Union Carbide (USA), Union Carbide (Eastern) Hong Kong, and Union Carbide India Limited, the Indian subsidiary.

Summons are served on Anderson and Union Carbide.

July 6, 1988: The Bhopal chief judicial magistrate issues a non-bailable arrest warrant against Anderson for repeatedly ignoring summons.

February 14-15, 1989: While the issue of interim compensation is being heard before the Supreme Court, Union Carbide and the Indian government strike a deal, under which the company pays a compensation of $470 million. In return,�criminal charges are withdrawn against the company.

So much and so little for the actual victims .....................and now it's heartning to see the actual victims rising and demanding justice.................they at least deserv a fair trail.

Union Carbide's management still hasn't been brought to trial, because the United States turned down extradition attempts.

BHOPAL, India (CNN) -- People in the Indian city of Bhopal are mourning the victims of a deadly chemical leak in 1984 that killed tens of thousands.

More than 3,500 died soon after the U.S.-owned Union Carbide plant spewed tons of highly toxic methyl isocyanate into the heart of Bhopal on December 3.

Authorities say at least 15,000 people have died in what has been described as the world's worst industrial accident, although activists put the number at some 33,000.

Thousands more have suffered illnesses from the fumes that escaped from the fertilizer plant, now a subsidiary of Dow Chemical Co.

Many of the survivors struggle with ailments ranging from breathlessness, cancer, near blindness and fatigue to heart problems and tuberculosis.

Activists say victims have not been adequately compensated, and that the plant site has not been made safe, with environmental groups estimating it will cost $30 million to do so.

Read teh Complete Article HERE

Ceremonies have taken place in the central Indian city of Bhopal where a toxic gas leak led to the world's worst industrial accident 20 years ago.

Thousands died on 3 December, 1984, and in subsequent years after the leak at the Union Carbide chemical plant.

Hundreds of survivors, relatives of the dead and rights activists marched through Bhopal demanding justice.

However, despite a public holiday in the city, correspondents say that life carried on as normal for many people.

'Betrayed'

"We will burn effigies of Union Carbide and Dow Chemical to voice our protests," Rashida Bee, a survivor who heads a women victims' group, told the Associated Press news agency.

"These two companies have betrayed the victims of Bhopal."

Read the Complete BBC Story HERE

• Official figures on initial deaths: nearly 3,000
  • And subsequent deaths: nearly 15,000
  • And permanent disabilities: 50,000
  • Unofficial figures on initial deaths: 7,000-8,000
  • And subsequent deaths: 15,000-20,000
  • Compensation: Union Carbide agree to pay $470m in 1989

Official source: Indian Council of Medical Research

Indian papers sound a common theme on the 20th anniversary of the Bhopal gas disaster. More should have been done and needs to be done for the victims, in terms of securing justice, long-term medical help and compensation.

A number of papers turn their attention to the ongoing risks that the chemicals industry poses to India's people and environment.

"Even after two decades: Justice eludes victims", says Bhopal's Central Chronicle in its editorial headline.

The paper catalogues what it sees as a long list of failings by the authorities since the disaster.

It is high time the Supreme Court reopened the 1989 settlement in view of the unfolding magnitude of the disaster.
Times of India

"Still a large number of affected people are moving from pillar to post either to get treatment or rehabilitation. The government of India has failed to extradite former UCC [Union Carbide Corporation] chief Anderson who has been held guilty of the incident. The noxious chemical area has not been cleaned even after a lapse of 20 years," it says.

"The pact between India and USA has been beyond the interest of victims," is the paper's conclusion.

Read teh Complete BBC Article HERE

A tribute to a forgoton hero Of the tragedy he could have ran away but he stood his ground when his throat and eyes were burning right in the middle od a plateform to stop any Train going towards Bhopal.

Twenty years after the toxic gas leak at Bhopal in central India, BBC News reports on how casualties could have been much worse.

The daily express had been seen off from Bhopal and deputy station superintendent Ghulam Dastagir took charge of the night shift.

He settled down to a routine evening's work. It was 3 December, 1984.

Paperwork kept Mr Dastagir tied to his office until 0100 when he emerged to check the train running from Mumbai (Bombay) to Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.

As he stepped on to the platform, he felt an itch in his throat and a burning sensation in his eyes.

Toxic fumes leaking from the nearby Union Carbide factory were settling on the railway station.

Nearly 3,000 people died on the night of the disaster. There have been at least 15,000 related deaths since, according to official estimates.

Read the Full Article HERE

-=SF_13=-

Thank you for the new sources. Looks like we'll have to wait until the investigation is over to see who is culpable.

This:

now a subsidiary of Dow Chemical Co.

seems a little odd, if Dow did not own the plant at the time of the incident, how are they responsible for the accident in any way?

Hi Redneck,

They are not actually ...........It was U.S.-owned Union Carbide ...............Dow Purchased it so i think they are also entitled to all the Libialited it bears or not?

it's the Union Carbide management......and the Union Carbide Chairman Warren Anderson that is wanted in the case...... but the money has to come form Dow because teh own the companey now?

-=SF_13=-

I'm no sort of expert on business law, international or otherwise, but it seems that the company that owned the plant at the time of the incident, unless it is now defunct, in which case it would be rather difficult to get any money out of it, would be solely responsible for the restitution to the victims if it was in fact found liable.

But then again, as I said before, I do not know what the law says about it.

Back