Sight picture

Well.yes but you would have to cover your other eye somehow,cuz if you dont you dubble the sight and cant hit an elephant at 2 yards :lol:

No matter what one eye needs to be closed or covered. I have heard people say the same thing and it never worked for me or some of the people I taught.

Marksman said:
Well.yes but you would have to cover your other eye somehow,cuz if you dont you dubble the sight and cant hit an elephant at 2 yards :lol:

I do shoot with both eyes open, I close the one I don't look through the sight with a bit, but it works very well.
It happens naturally for me, and I tend to relax better when I don't have to "force" one eyelid down.. :)

Excellent advice. If you are busy tryin to keep your eye shut it will throw off concentration and will result in a bad shot. I never thought about it, I will have to pay attention to what I do next time I go out. I do know that both eyes are not open for me.

Marksman said:
i meant,to cover it with something,not to shut it

I don't do that either.
It takes a bit of practice, but I shoot much better with both eyes open..

Most people have a dominant eye (don't know if I translated that correctly from Dutch) If you're looking trough the sight with your dominant eye, you can keep both eyes open, if you're looking trough it with your non-dominant eye, you'll have to close the dominant one, or it will interfere.
It varies from person to person, do whatever works for you, as long as you keep at least one eye open... :D

If you want to know if you have a dominant eye, try this link:
http://www.sofweb.vic.edu.au/science/famsci/activity/middleyr/biology/bmy11.htm

Depends on the sight ;)
Some sight are made to work the best if you have both eyes open. I have never tryed to have both open on (whats kikarsikte in english redleg?) and i havent tryed it on regular iron sights either. But i have no problem to close one eye and still relax.

Unless I'm using a scope, I fire with both eyes open. I've noticed a major increase in both my accuracy and precision by doing that.

Ok, when firing at targets close your non-firing eye. Doing this not only gives you a clear view of your target, but also allows you to concentrate on putting a hole in it. If you fire medium to longer ranges having both eyes open will throw off your accuracy.

The ONLY time you should fire with both eyes open is when you are doing reflexive firing. Then you just bring the weapon up to your cheek, look down the barrel, not through the sights, and squeeze the trigger. Because it is EXTREMELY CLOSE range the bullet goes where you are looking. It took me a while to get used to firing with both eyes open even at a close range. It just didn't feel right.

Marksman said:

right i shoot on the left, but the same rule still applies, shooting with both eyes open all youd hit is the air. :mrgreen:

about face said:
right i shoot on the left, but the same rule still applies, shooting with both eyes open all youd hit is the air. :mrgreen:

Well I guess I better tell my brother that he can't shoot after all, going to be hard to explain that to the dozen or so deer that are no longer with us though. :roll:

I also keep both eyes open when I am firing shotguns, it's unconcious though. As has been said before, if you get too worried about what your eyes are doing rather than just doing what comes natural, you'll throw your shot off anyway.

with a shotgun now, thats a different story, just piont your gun in the general area of your target and youll strike gold.

Really, about face? You should give that a try sometime. Give skeet or trap shooting a go too. Either will humble you, I gurantee it. When you learn how to do it correctly, you will quickly realize that just pointing a shotgun in the general direction of a target just won't cut it.

Back