Show us your BIKE(s)

Ski8799

DSC00844-1.jpg

My 2004, 2008 KLR 650, I always wanted to have a Polizei themed MC, so I painted and decalled my 04' as such, don't ask me why.

bike.jpg

I bought it brand new, and I'm still riding it 18 years later, (but a lot more quietly). I only rejetted the carby back to original specs about 3 months ago, put a hotter plug in it and dropped tooth off the drive sprocket and put two on the back for puttering around the town. I can now use top gear again

It's been a great bike.

Yep Honda 600XR. I bought it as a cheap and quick way to get to work 45 miles away through the summer, I did a couple of desert races on it but it was too heavy to be really competitive.

I completely rebuilt the engine about 6 years ago when it had done 108,000 miles and have only done about 16,000 since. As a stop gap measure I had put a set of oversize rings in it 20,000 prior to that but was always frightened to push it too hard in case it spat them out. The local dealer would not believe that I got that many miles out of it. Today it is only used for getting about town to cut down the cost of Diesel in my tray top.

Last edited:
I don't have a bike but the gal of my life does....

CassandraBike.jpg

My niece currently 1 1/2.... she loves that trike.

Ooooh,... a Cop magnet. Yep, I prolly coulda got to work on that, much faster, just so long as I passed no cops. They'd pull me up for just sitting on that.

How's it handle in the dirt Monty?

Oh,... an' it's got no kick starter, therefore it only really qualifies as a sheila's bike.:-D

Last edited:
Ooooh,... a Cop magnet. Yep, I prolly coulda got to work on that, much faster, just so long as I passed no cops. They'd pull me up for just sitting on that.

How's it handle in the dirt Monty?

Oh,... an' it's got no kick starter, therefore it only really qualifies as a sheila's bike.:-D

Hey it aint no Chook Chaser 500, never liked the idea of a floppy front guard and have less interest in jumping lumps of dirt than you average folk, besides it takes hours of work to get all that dirt off.

As far as the cops go they rarely bother me as I am a rather slow rider these days I just like knowing that on those rare occasions that I want to I can wind it up to 280kph.

Hey it aint no Chook Chaser 500, never liked the idea of a floppy front guard and have less interest in jumping lumps of dirt than you average folk, besides it takes hours of work to get all that dirt off.
Wha?,... wadda ya mean, "dirt off",.... the dirt is all that protects the paintwork.

As far as the cops go they rarely bother me as I am a rather slow rider these days I just like knowing that on those rare occasions that I want to I can wind it up to 280kph.
That would be exciting,... but so's passing a bloke in a tight sandy corner at 160 with a flat front tyre. I didn't realise it was flat until I slowed down at the end of the stage. I had thought it was handling a bit lose in the front end at several spots, as I idled into my fueling stop, I damned near fell of at 15kph,... that, now would have been embarrassing.

After the race, as the oldest competitor I was asked if I had any words of wisdom for the young blokes who were giving me a pizzling about my age earlier, I said, "Always remember, when the Aussie flag flag drops, the bullsh!t stops".

I drove the pickup vehicle the next year,... there were too many young bucks out after my hide.:-D

The lesson being, Quit while you're ahead!

Wha?,... wadda ya mean, "dirt off",.... the dirt is all that protects the paintwork.

Yep but not even dirt stops gravel rash.

That would be exciting,... but so's passing a bloke in a tight sandy corner at 160 with a flat front tyre. I didn't realise it was flat until I slowed down at the end of the stage. I had thought it was handling a bit lose in the front end at several spots, as I idled into my fueling stop, I damned near fell of at 15kph,... that, now would have been embarrassing.[/quote]

I think the most exciting event is when someone pulls out onto the road in front of you while you are traveling at 200k plus, man those tail lights get big fast.

Holy crap, I love that new concours, I just couldn't afford it, that's why I ride dirt bikes for now.

Hehe that is the 1200cc version I have been working on the wife to allow a slight expansion to the 1400cc version and apparently if I don't kill myself before the end of the year I am in with a chance. :)

I am hoping that sometime in the not to distant future I may switch to a Ducati as they are a lot of fun to ride, the only real problem now is that as I get older and more absorbed by work I am finding myself more and more weekend rides which kind kills the justification of spending $20,000 on a motorcycle.

I think I'd rather break a collar bone or a few ribs, than get a good dose of gravel rash, just the thought brings a tear to the eye.

I have never owned a really comfortable road/touring bike, and these days, I seriously doubt that I could lift one if it fell over, so I guess it'll never happen now. Even the Honda might get downsized for something a little more sensible for my present usage. Today's 250's probably have as much grunt as my old 600, and their power to weight is also probably better. Not that I need much to go down to the street and back for a litre of milk or whatever.

I think I'd rather break a collar bone or a few ribs, than get a good dose of gravel rash, just the thought brings a tear to the eye.

I have never owned a really comfortable road/touring bike, and these days, I seriously doubt that I could lift one if it fell over, so I guess it'll never happen now. Even the Honda might get downsized for something a little more sensible for my present usage. Today's 250's probably have as much grunt as my old 600, and their power to weight is also probably better. Not that I need much to go down to the street and back for a litre of milk or whatever.

Yeah there was a time I thought that too but given that my only serious accident occurred on the smallest bike I have ever owned and put me in hospital for 4 months I have come to the conclusion that for the most part any sized bike can kill you, skin grows back and broken bones really hurt.

Mind you these days its hard to get a dose of gravel rash, I have enough padding and protective gear to withstand a small nuclear blast.

Leathers are a great idea, but highly impractical comfort wise in our summer climate, you'd die of heat exhaustion before you'd gone ten miles. I bought a good Italian jacket about 25 years ago and only wore it a few times.

In the end one of my mate's lads borrowed it to go round Australia and I told him to keep it. Now I just usually wear a pair of padded combination overalls, light gloves and steel toed boots.

I remember a mate who was only wearing thongs and thought that he wouldn't bother putting on his boots to go and get some fuel. Someone pulled out in front of him and he had to "dab down" at about 40kph. Six weeks off work and two severe infections later he was good as gold. Aaauuuggghhh.

Last edited:
USMC-mc-training.jpg

Much of the reason I chose the KLR 650, it is the same bike used by Marine Force Recon. The USMC converts it to a diesel JP-8 drinker, one of the only diesel bikes in the world.

Naw, man, you're not only. I like the speed....gotta to love that bike...

Hehe well I am hoping this will be the next one although I will probably go with a touring configuration which will cut the speed but allow a bit of comfort.

zzr1400_black_lhs_700p.jpg

Back