Show of force is now a joke

One of the best things to do is to have a couple of Q Ships sailing up and down those seas laden with troops and when the pirates attack then the only thing that should be left of the pirates is drift wood from their boat. At the moment if they are captured they have been just let go again with a telling off which will hardly put them off.

One of the best things to do is to have a couple of Q Ships sailing up and down those seas laden with troops and when the pirates attack then the only thing that should be left of the pirates is drift wood from their boat. At the moment if they are captured they have been just let go again with a telling off which will hardly put them off.

I like that idea very much, and the hell with the UN.

emphasis by yours truly:

The laws regarding seafarers, and arms on merchant vessels is a minefield and would be almost impossible to implement.
:read:
-snip-

...allowed *and able* to do the job without years of debate to reshape the current laws to fit.
-snip-

:bravo:

Finally, someone addressing (spelling out) the problem from this angle...

We do not have years, and, with Bush administration finally (and what a relieve, - my POV - !) gone, we have to find a solution within those limits (i.e. no sole 1sided gov decisions, world is too complex, 23 nations mil *family* involved right now...).

Inspiration, again!

Go, get them! :horsie:

Rattler

Last edited:

Have you read the thread?

Just asking

Rattler

He probably have Sir.
But as he is a grunt he is more geared toward fixing the problem then to make sure the pirates are not hurt with dangerous boom sticks but rather tossed back to have another go.

Again, the existing bodies could all give a military force the mandate needed.

Because we all know that violence never solved anything.
Never stopped the Nazis.
Never stopped the Imperial Japanese.
Never stopped the North Koreans.
Never got Noriega.
Never liberated Kuwait.
Never beat the Argentinians.
Never got Hong Kong off the Chinese.
Never liberated any South American country from the Spanish.
No, it never achieved anything.
All these were made possible by talking with reason.
</sarcasm>

(Start Soap Box Mode)

You are right in the respect that violence is sometimes necessary and you have to be ready, willing and able to use it and have to be prepared for it (I actually served under that idea - inspired by the US propagated values that I still cherish and think are worthwile fighting for - that my nation would have to get nuked in order to save the free world *AND ITS VALUES*, like e.g. allowing anybody - even a Nazi, a Somalian, a RoK guy or my worst political enemy - to utter total BS whenever he found it approriate some 30+ yrs ago...).

Still, what you sum up is - without any offense meant and just for the sake of serious argument here - simply BS anyway related to what you probably are trying to transport, it does not make any sense in a historcial, political, strategical or tactical reference whatosever (nice marketing try, anyway! :angel:).

(Actually, and as an afterthought, the sacrasm bit makes it even worse - and my history shows I am all for sarcasm and ATST diplomatically inept: Got a mil record stating it in writing... :santa:): Claiming sarcasm at this point simply states "I am not taking this seriously", no?

(/End Soap Box Mode)

Seriously: What realistic and historical/strategical/tactical/political connection do you make between Nazis and pirates? Or the Japs? Or Liberation of our Beloved Former Colonies? Etc...

As you are most probabily trying to provoke me: For the moment: "Te conosco, Bacalao, aunque vienes reboza´o... :salute2:" (In English and less diplomatically refined: "Utter BS, sorry...")

Not helping to solve the prob AFAI am concerned...

(Start Prank Mode)

Others might see this differently, of cause (turn volume up to enjoy - as entertainment, no offense to ayone in this thread meant personally of cause, lyrics probably NSFW): http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1907543

(/End Prank Mode)

Rattler

P.S.: For the PMers: You Just Got RickRolled! :) Check out the original/literal, nuff said... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr2jlCyCJBI (wow, I am able to state something diplomatically, after all??? :)) R.

Last edited:
He probably have Sir.
But as he is a grunt he is more geared toward fixing the problem then to make sure the pirates are not hurt with dangerous boom sticks but rather tossed back to have another go.

Again, the existing bodies could all give a military force the mandate needed.

:salute:

Onwards! :bravo:

Rattler San :)

Rattler.....Yes I did read the thread, but you are allowed to meet force with force and if you can do it better than them so be it. Now if the pirates find that their numbers are going down then you WILL find that the attacks will ease off or even stop. While they can make millions from by holding the ships and crews for ransom then this will never end. Now for them this is great little earner and they are making more from one ship to last them a life time.

Rattler, it's fairly simple really.
At very little risk to yourself or your buddies, you can hijack a ship and walk out with riches you never imagined before. The temptation is no doubt very high.
Then imagine the situation changes.
It's extremely high risk, there's no money in it because no one will pay the ransom and most of the guys you saw go out to sea to hijack a ship never returned alive. Suddenly it's not so appealing anymore.

Or is it too difficult to understand?
Or are you an African Aid lobbyist in disguise?

By the way "Jap" is a derogatory word. FYI.

Rattler, it's fairly simple really.
At very little risk to yourself or your buddies, you can hijack a ship and walk out with riches you never imagined before. The temptation is no doubt very high.
Then imagine the situation changes.
It's extremely high risk, there's no money in it because no one will pay the ransom and most of the guys you saw go out to sea to hijack a ship never returned alive. Suddenly it's not so appealing anymore.

Or is it too difficult to understand?
Or are you an African Aid lobbyist in disguise?

It is not that I do not understand you, it really *is* simple, as you correctly state.

The question is, would it be legal?

I would want to have all lose ends covered and move within the possible from intl law POV.

The point I want to make is that if we ignore law in one point, law in itself becomes pointless because everybody will call this precedent to ignore it himself (transform this to a national situation with criminals involved and you will see what I mean: If law enforcement starts breaking the law, what use are they? At this moment they simply become a type of GESTAPO that *decide* what you can do or what not, fascism spelled out).

I hope you agree that the constitution of any state is the highest good to defend, well (any snips just to make it clear that I did not want to comment on the US stance but talking about internationally agreed-upon values). Please consider and value that people struggled to achieve this stuff for centuries and hundreds of thousands died for this purpose, IMHO a good to valuable to risk for a few $:

US Constitution (as an example for many others):

Amendment 11 - Judicial Limits.
The Judicial power of the United States shall not be construed to extend to any suit in law or equity, commenced or prosecuted against one of the United States by Citizens of another State, or by Citizens or Subjects of any Foreign State.

Amendment 14 - Citizenship Rights.
1. -snip- No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens -snips-; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

By the way "Jap" is a derogatory word. FYI.

Sorry, history of my life: My political correctness level has always been questioned by superiors and subordinates equally and probably is below room temperature (OTOH I do not belong to todays "Bycicle Helmet" generation, so pardon my extravagations... I can well take what I blow): Feel free to call me "Kraut" a few times in the future, my word on that no offense will be taken... :rock:

Rattler

Last edited:
It doesn't matter because the terminology doesn't affect me. But have it your way Haagen Dazs.

Actually from your posts you are very politically correct.

Captain_Kidd-785510.jpg

Why are we talking of legalities here?

The problem is one of crime prevention on a grand scale. We are dealing with persons who have no intention of obeying the law, and in so doing are risking the lives of others and prospectively costing millions of dollars, also we must bear in mind that both practically and historically, piracy has always been a special case allowing for virtually any preventive measures to be taken to prevent it.

Capture, hang from mast, and video tape it.....

Repeat the process until the little bastards figure it out that piracy isn't as affordable as they thought it is.

The issue of piracy can be solved like many other issues involving crime and dirtbags. They only understand strength and violence.

Treat a pirate just like a mugger.

Shot the bastards in the head and ditch the bodies overboard.

This political correctness crap needs to end along with the UN.

Capture, hang from mast, and video tape it.....

Repeat the process until the little bastards figure it out that piracy isn't as affordable as they thought it is.

The issue of piracy can be solved like many other issues involving crime and dirtbags. They only understand strength and violence.

Treat a pirate just like a mugger.

Shot the bastards in the head and ditch the bodies overboard.

This political correctness crap needs to end along with the UN.

There was a TV documentary recently in South Africa regarding this very issue.

A number of merchant seamen demanded the right to self defence, while certain CEO's considered arming merchant ships dangerous, especially on board Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) tankers. One report stated that pirates and terrorists are combining tactics, and that one ship was taken over, nothing was stolen. The crew survived and stated that the so called pirates were not interested in stealing anything, they only wanted to learn how to steer the ship, not dock the ship, simply steer it. As one CEO stated, “What does that remind you of? It reminds me of the 9/11 attacks.”

Now the danger is, what defences are there in ports if a LNG tanker is used as a weapon?

Someone once said, "The UN is more of a threat to world peace then terrorism."

Back