shoulder problem....help!

jaybaby22

hey, my friend joined the army and she has her physical tomorrow. THe only problem is she has bad shoulder problems. Her bones grind together when she moves them, she lifted a barbell the other day to do shoulder excerses, but couldnt finish because she was in pain. She is a really tough girl and tends to push herself way past the limit. I know shes not going to let them know she has problems. Can they find out through the physical that she does and not let her in? I really dont want her going and getting seriously hurt so I'm kind of hoping they will

She needs to get checked out now. If she has shoulder problems they will get worse in basic.

She's going to have a horrible, long and sad four years if she lives with that thing.
No one's going to like a new guy (or girl) that shows up broken.

your completely right. but she doesnt see it that way. Shes in staten island right now and tomorrow she has her physical if they dont find anything wrong shes going in. She wants this so bad that shes feels that shes not gonna let her shoulder get in her way

i dont know what to do though. I honestly dont want her going and i know if i start telling her this shes just gonna take it as me trying to get her not to go because i dont want her to

shes getting the physical tomorrow How thurough is the examination? Do think they can find out that she has a problem? I mean her shoulder makes noises every time she moves it in a certain way. I know they are really strict, do you think they would just let it go if shes like its ok?

i'm sorry for going on about this. Thank you for all your help. But, how bad does it need to be that they wont let her in? Like will they feel it and just automatically say your out?

Normally I don't post in these topics, but this one, I know a lot about. That same shoulder injury (the bones grinding together) is the reason I didn't make it into the Marines. The doctor told me if I'd stopped and let myself heal up instead of pushing myself and ignoring the pain, my shoulder would've healed. Instead, I destroyed it. Surgery won't even help it now. Tell your friend to get it looked at right away. And do what the doctor tells her as far as how to heal properly.

yea! thats exactly what it was sevens! She had always had a bad shoulder for whatever reason, but then she was lifting something above her head at work and it came down on her and she seriously sprained it. The doctor gave her a sling, and i made her use it when she got it, but then she began refusing to wear it saying it was fine when i knew it wasnt. So now every night she is in so much pain and gets no sleep sometimes. Shes crazy for trying to do this now

Yes she is. She needs to heal. Take care of it and heal. I rodeoed, played softball, did gymnastics, and played volleyball for years. Numerous injuries to my shoulder, but I was tough. I wasn't going to let the pain stop me. I'd take a few days to rest, then be right back out there. Now I have arthritis in that shoulder, almost constant pain, the cartilage is pretty gone, and the bones rub together and make grinding and popping noises when I use that arm. I can't lift much over 5 pounds with my right arm, and have lost a lot of my mobility. Surgery MIGHT improve my mobility, but in the end, five different doctors have told me that there really is no hope. And all this because I was stubborn and refused to listen. I would hate it if she did the same thing. Whack her upside the head and get her to listen!! Take it easy!! Heal!!

Yeah I have very little cartilage left in my knees which is why it looks like it might be the end of the road for me and the "fun" MOS's.

Hehe it's not that bad. I can still run and do everything I used to as long as I stick to the physiotherapy plan, it's just that I don't get the mile times that I used to get. Apparently still faster than a lot of people.

Back