Should Women Be In The Military?

Should Women Be In The Military?

• Total voters

Tessa

Please, Tell me what you think..

I know I am a girl, but don't use any silk gloves on me because of that.. :?

Feel free to speak your mind in this matter! :D

I know there are, errr, Many Options..

But that was for your comfort..

I have no problem with females in the military, I have many female friends who are doing excellent jobs defending my nation. That being said, I don't think they should be put in combat situations on the ground (in infantry mainly) simply due to their smaller frames and resultant inability to carry the same weight of equipment, to run as fast, and to defend themselves as well in an unarmed combat situation, among other reasons.

Hm, this is a real difficult question.

Personally I'm not against women in the military.
I have worked with a several women who did their job at least as good as us men, and some even better.

But one interesting thing I read about when I was in the officer school was a study from Israel (I think).
They don't allow women in combat arms, and one of the reasons for that was us men.....

They had experienced that when a woman in a combat unit got wounded, many of the men stopped completely to fight and wanted to help the them much more than the men.....
And when a women got killed the men took it much harder than if a man was killed.
I guess it's natural for (most of :) ) us men to care more for females than males....
So they didn't allow women in the front lines any more, just because we men couldn't handle it...

This is a very interesting think to think about, I have given it a lot of thought myself, and I think too that a killed or wounded woman would affect me much more than a killed/wounded man.
That's why this question is very hard to answer.
As I said before, I have worked with several very skilled women, and several of them could beat most of us guys when it came to carying heavy weight, run fast, march far etc...
But this woman/man thing is also very interesting

So I have to think some more about this question before I answer it... :(

I agree with you there Redleg, didn't remember it before, but some of my buddies and myself were talking about this and every one of us came to the same conclusion about how they would react to a wounded or killed female soldier as compared to a male one.

You guys underestimate us.. I don't need 10 men to hang over me with a shot wound in my shoulder.. Just give me a damn medic and let me continue is what I would say..

Im going to say if they can prove themselves in combat and there are only a select few involved. What I worry about is discrimination lawsuit's that may bring women(or anyone for the matter) into a combat position when that person clearly doesn't have the will to kill or operate effectivly on the field.

Then again Im only a civilian, so dont take my word for it.

Haha, nice enthusiasm, but I think you might need a little surgery with a round through the shoulder before you could pull a Rambo on the enemy :lol: .
We're not saying that the wounded female in question would want all that attention, our point is that we males would of ourselves focus more on protecting/aiding a wounded female than we would an equally wounded male.

Yeah, and the matter is cus you underestimate us.. :?

And I have lived a life where I have encountered people with weapons..

So has the most in my family, except mom..

Call me stupid, But I aint that scared to have a gun against my forehead, and I aint that scared to trigger a gun towards someone..

BUT!

I don't do without a damn good reason..

And if someone starts firing at me.. (The enemy in a battlefield)

Of course I strike back..

To sit there and be afraid is to condamn yourself to death..

And if I have orders.. And know I mean from my superior in the military.. Then I will do as he say..

Anyways, if the guy would give me more care then a wounded man. I defenetly would be piss off..

And I would problaby yell at him later..

Or for the others not doing their job.

Sorry if I sound a little harsch and to macho..

But I grew up alone, I have been my own father and mother.. and sister for that case..

Besides.. I have been in situations where people shouldn't be..
You should not act like a robot though but you should do what he says, and think of it later when you have time.

Err, Now I got out of the subject.. Typical me..

Now back to the subject.

We aren't questioning your ability. I'm positive there are many women that can fight just as well as men but the problem doesn't lie in you fighting ability but the mens ability to fight when you're around. Yelling at them all you want isn't going to change the fact that they screwed up in the field when they shouldn't have. Better to avoid it happening in the first place I say. Sorry but no women in the field.

I personally think that if women want 'equal rights', the right to shot in combat should be one of those rights. don't get me wrong, i'm not a woman hater or anything. I just think that the Equal Rights Ammendment should apply to ALL rights.

i think they should be allowed to join but not be allowed in combat simply because they are the ones can make the world go around

Ddue, There are enough women to make this world go around..

and I don't think I count in to that group for many reasons..

Not that I don't want kids and such..

But, err, the odds of me for making the world go around on that plane is quite.. Not avaible?

If you meant in it in that way I mean.. so the only place I could make a meaningful service in this life.. Is too be able to fight for my country, and for other countries as well.

What would a man need a woman too, who maybe isn't able to have kids on her own?

I don't plan to stand in the kitchen and cook for the rest of my life..

I am born to serve for justice and for my country, (and countries..)

No, Yelling maybe wouldn't be a solution, but it would feel so good if they got messed up because I got wounded..

Yeah yelling feels good but trying to make a bad situation look good in war isn't helped by guys fretting over the only girl getting hit. War requires more dedication to your country and commanders than your fellow soldiers. Do what you're told or die doing what your told. Commanding officers do not order men to fret over girls in the field therefore women in the field are nothing more than a stumbling block.

So what you mean... Is that women have to get a d*ck and b*lls to get the right to fight for the country?

Sorry, I don't buy that..

How would you kow how I work on the field?

And in any case, any girl who think they are suited for that..

Should women be punished because their lack of the men's strength and reactions on the field?

I can agree on that we are weaker in some things.. Often fysical..

But there is things that we are good in, and you are not..

So should we go and stay sexistic like the days of Girls are Nurses.. And Guys are the soldiers?

Naw, I been a tomboy as long as I can remember, and I can't definitive don't see how the hell we girls can't fight along in the field in the year of even 2004..

I mean.. Aint the damn world making progress?

Not that I am a feminist, because, trust me, I don't like having girls in the military and stuff..

But as for me, I can't exactly just changed my disguise and jump into a male body?

So I shall be punished cus I am a woman?

Sorry, But this annoyed me..

Haha, I do believe your the first person who I can remember meeting who thought they were being punished by NOT be allowed to go get their butt shot off.
:lol:

Well, I take this quite serious unfortumatly.

Not that girls should be in the military.. But some are made for it..

And if you Redneck met me, or anyone else at this forum for that sake.. I want someone to point out my female traits out of my behaviour.. :x

Because I don't have any female traits at all.. Except my body..

and seriously, I hate being a woman, and for that sake, I am jealous at almost every guy.. Because they aren't being treated like sh*t when they work with cars.. Or like to shoot in a shooting range.. Or do boys stuff.. But when a girl like me does it.. Then it's back stabbing, false lies behind my back, being discriminated..

It's not that hard to figure out why I had to quit my interests..

Especially when it comes to cars..

And guys like these is the worst I know..

I got a practice at a mechanic shop.. Where I always dreamed off..

And these guys laughs at me and asks if I can change the oil..

or if I know how to unscrew a tire?

I would gladly see how you guys would manage to work with something you always wanted when you get pushed down by the opposite sex..

I don't think you will be that cocky then..

And if I could be a man by offering something.. I would offer everything I had..

Just to be a guy.. To have those possibilites to work with these things I have a passion for..

You guys think you are nice to protect us from the things on the battle field..

But see it from my view..

Being forced to live a life I hate because people see me as a woman..

And I am more at the boyish direction..

:(

And I don't find this at all funny.. Cus this is is hell for me..

Well I'm really sorry about the discrimination you have been subjected to, but you have to realize that that isn't the case here. We're not trying to "keep you down" or hurt you by keeping you off the field (although ultimately that decision is a bit over the heads of everyone here), we (or those who agree with me) are only trying to do what is best for our militaries, and it has nothing to do with any failing on your part of that of women in particular. There are both biological reasons (men have heavier frames, and therefore can carry more, etc.) and cultural reasons (we feel a responsibility to protect women more than men, which can result in life-costing hesitations [on the part of MEN serving with a woman] and distractions).
So please don't take it that we think you are inadequate or unworthy of anything, we don't.

Back