Should Women Be In The Military?

Should Women Be In The Military?

• Total voters
I can say this about going into port with women on board, along with the shipboard romances that happen, theres gonna be women in the local bars doing the same thing we men are, drinking and looking at members of the opposite sex. The good lord gave us eyes to see with, just remember if you have a partner at home, don't touch the ones in the ports

Here is a curveball for all you guys who think women shouldn't be allowed in combat.

Should a (female to male) transsexual person be allowed into combat? :jump:

Here is a curveball for all you guys who think women shouldn't be allowed in combat.

Should a (female to male) transsexual person be allowed into combat? :jump:

Depends, can the hit the target when they shoot?
Personally I couldn't care less who saves my arse when I screw up. As long as its not the enemy LOL

I'M 4 Years in the german military now serving in an infantry unit (german air force ground combat supporting regiment). As you might know we have integrated women in regular Units just a few years ago. Now we have the first female infantry officers and Pilots.

What i can tell you from my viewpoint is that there are two major problems.
1st: Example physical fitness test: You can get 1 to 6 points in every discipline, a male gets 1 Point where the female gets 6 ! And i don't even see the women sweat where the men have to fight to get 6 Points... A well trained male soldier gets about 25 Points (of 30), for any female its really hard to get under 25 Points... every Woman is 'better' in Sports then the men can be because of this.
Normally i wouldn't care but what if my Platoon needs to march for a while, do i have to let the women behind or sacrifice my whole unit?
Do Bullets fly not so fast targeting a female soldier? Does it make sense to treat and grade female infantrists differnt from male?
2nd: I heard about several sexual acts between drill instructors and women during the basic training. To my mind these instructors should be dismissed but it was 'normal' even for the cadetts and they wanted it the way it was... I heard that from female officer comrades.

When i was in my Regiment to become 'combat ready' we didn't have femals in our ranks and that was the best time in the Military until now... we trained hard together and were one unit and i never saw someone quit... When i started my officers training i first encountert female soldiers... relationships started and in the first weeks i had to carry two backpacks from females... i never had to do that before.

I think my government tries to fullfill the percentage for women to demonstrate full equality but in reality the training is not equal... and men have to serve, women can chose to- so they get anything they want from the military (higher ranks, more options etc.)
They are not doing the women a favour because when it comes to combat we will have real problems.

Excuse my english, i hope i could make some understandable Points :)
I'm happy to discuss the matter for i cope with it every day.

ObjSRgtLw, I have had the same physical fitness testing problem you have , in the time I was in the Navy we had several women who wouldn't have passed at all except that the had to do less than men did to pass. I have to admit I would like to see the SAME physical fitness requirements for both males and females.
Basically if you want to be equal to me, lets have a go at it, we'll start with basic survival (outside the mall)

Other than the physical part, I've never delt with a woman who couldn't do her assigned job

You know, I just can't see women preforming a combat role. It's not that they're aren't as capable as men, which many aren't due to serious factors, but it's something about a women I don't want them to see the hell of combat.

As I stated previously, most women aren't capable of combat. Psycologically, men usually have more of a craving for combat then women. Women don't have upper body strength like men so they can't perform heavy lifting tasks efficiently (ie sprint from one building to the other with a SAW in your hands). Women don't have the same outbursts of rage/addrenalin like men do, women would have that say when their baby or something is in trouble but men have it when their in combat.

Plus, too many men would take care of the women more than their own male troops. Too many may do stupid things to impress her.

What if we have too many women enlist, who will take care of the young and the industries while us men our dying. Just like WW2, men fought, women stayed home and played important roles back at home.

Hate ta break it to ya fellas. Females are already performing combat roles in Iraq. Had three in my platoon. One was wounded and awarded the Purple Heart and ARCOM.

They are the same as any other of my soliders. As group their the same as men you have your good and your 10% ers.

No news to me 03, I had some women on shore duty with me back when in the navy they only went on tenders and shore duty, but I know for a fact that you are correct, I've got a neighbor in the Army who just came home to her husband and kids, shes a staff sgt over in Baghdad, and she was there when they took Baghdad according to her "practicing " her aim.

(As I stated previously, most women aren't capable of combat. Psycologically, men usually have more of a craving for combat then women.)

cdt, the only way were more suited to war than women is the fact we get drunk and fight just cause (1) were men (2) its fun

(Plus, too many men would take care of the women more than their own male troops. Too many may do stupid things to impress her.)

True, but thats a basic male instinct, BUT why would you want to protect the woman who just saved your butt from a enemy combatant? Hell I'll hand her a beer and say "this buds for you"

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with it, not all women are incapable of ground combat just as not all men are capable of ground combat. However, both sexes personnel ought to be found out whether or not they are capable and than put in serviceable roles that suits their abilities. Let's not forget their have been some very famous warriors who were female in the history of the world. I don't recall their names off the top of my head but their were some very famous women Samurai who killed male Samurai in combat and their were some very famous female Snipers in WWII.

Last edited:
I'M 4 Years in the german military now serving in an infantry unit (german air force ground combat supporting regiment). As you might know we have integrated women in regular Units just a few years ago. Now we have the first female infantry officers and Pilots.

What i can tell you from my viewpoint is that there are two major problems.
1st: Example physical fitness test: You can get 1 to 6 points in every discipline, a male gets 1 Point where the female gets 6 ! And i don't even see the women sweat where the men have to fight to get 6 Points... A well trained male soldier gets about 25 Points (of 30), for any female its really hard to get under 25 Points... every Woman is 'better' in Sports then the men can be because of this.
Normally i wouldn't care but what if my Platoon needs to march for a while, do i have to let the women behind or sacrifice my whole unit?
Do Bullets fly not so fast targeting a female soldier? Does it make sense to treat and grade female infantrists differnt from male?
2nd: I heard about several sexual acts between drill instructors and women during the basic training. To my mind these instructors should be dismissed but it was 'normal' even for the cadetts and they wanted it the way it was... I heard that from female officer comrades.

When i was in my Regiment to become 'combat ready' we didn't have femals in our ranks and that was the best time in the Military until now... we trained hard together and were one unit and i never saw someone quit... When i started my officers training i first encountert female soldiers... relationships started and in the first weeks i had to carry two backpacks from females... i never had to do that before.

I think my government tries to fullfill the percentage for women to demonstrate full equality but in reality the training is not equal... and men have to serve, women can chose to- so they get anything they want from the military (higher ranks, more options etc.)
They are not doing the women a favour because when it comes to combat we will have real problems.

Excuse my english, i hope i could make some understandable Points :)
I'm happy to discuss the matter for i cope with it every day.

Kein problem, dein English sind viel besser dann mein Deutch. :)

And I recognise some of the facts you pointed out here, we have some of the same tendencies here, allthough we opened up for voluntary service for women 20 years ago.
At NCO and Officer training the physical demands are easier for women, but on exercises and training the backpack is the same, and the distance to be covered are equal for both men and women.
Usually the women can cope with that, and in most cases they get through without problems.

But in bootcamp we had 1 female officer and 2 female NCO's.
One of the NCO's was clearly misplaced and should have chosen another profession, while the two others performed excellent in every way.
And here's the case, the NCO who did perform poorly had been doing just that from the first day in NCO training, she was the one who had to be dragged along, who let others carry her backpack, and did use sex as a mean to achieve various "goods" during training.

This lead to her being somewhat "outed" by the other officers, and she found more comfort among the privates in the camp-staff.

While the two other women didn't have that reputation, they also kept a certain distance from the mentioned NCO, and was clearly not on a friendly base with her.

Guess wich two out of those three who went on doing a military career..

By now we have women in almost every branch, they're fighter pilots, snipers, medics, cannoneers, tank commanders, even truck drivers, ranking from private to colonels.
Numbers are few, but I haven't heard any complaints about them performing less than expected.

Though there may still be some rotten apples in the basket.

In this Context you might enjoy this video showing a german OFR (my current rank, 1 before Lieutenant) doing the standart obstacle course in Dresden, Officers School of the german Army (which normally is performed without help...)
I'm well aware that there are male soldiers as well who bring this kind of performance, its just to cheer up the discussion a little:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BuoZGTMykI

ldipics.jpg

Last edited:
There's room for women in uniform!

If I may comment from a religious perspective, it seems to me that women have served well in the military for several generations now. They were indispensable during WWII and have made a significant contribution in every war since then. I suppose the only issue I have, as a pastor, is when women are placed into combat situations. It is my belief that God has not designed women to serve in the same capacity as men either physically or emotionally in many situations, not just military scenarios. For us to ignore the differences between men and women in this regard is to go against plain logic in my estimation. So ladies, thank you for your service in the military! We respect and appreciate you!

Paul Cassidy

www.cassidyfamilyoahu.com

If I may comment from a religious perspective, it seems to me that women have served well in the military for several generations now. They were indispensable during WWII and have made a significant contribution in every war since then. I suppose the only issue I have, as a pastor, is when women are placed into combat situations. It is my belief that God has not designed women to serve in the same capacity as men either physically or emotionally in many situations, not just military scenarios. For us to ignore the differences between men and women in this regard is to go against plain logic in my estimation. So ladies, thank you for your service in the military! We respect and appreciate you!

Paul Cassidy

www.cassidyfamilyoahu.com

Hi, Pastor Paul, and welcome to the forums, sir!

I agree with you 100% here. Women have always been an asset to the services, but God did create us with distinct traits. I would never wish the Infantry life on a lady, but without them in the support system where would my unit have been when mission critical?

Again, welcome, and here's 100 milbucks to get you started, my brother.

In Him,

Richard

Ahemm, one should perhaps mention that women actually contributed on a large scale to the war effort on the european theatre in WWI too.
The women working in the munitions industry were essential in any way, and they even put their lives on the line handling new and untested chemicals on a daily basis, all for the sake of freedom, no matter wich side they were on.

Anyway, without women the society, and mankind, as we know it will simply stop.

The women all over the world have earned their right and deserves our respect. :)

Back