Should Women Be In The Military?

Should Women Be In The Military?

• Total voters
Rabs said:
Just missiler, will she have a emotional relapse and not be able to press that button?

Have you ever talked to some poor smuck who went through a divorce and came out looking like a homeless person? Women have a side to them that would scare the crap out of a Yeti.

like in the old days, women do have a place, like say a nurse for example :) Military nurse or something. Very efficient if you ask me

chronoserpent said:
I don't see anything wrong with women in the military. They deserve an equal opportunity to serve their country, and if they want to, then we shouldn't stop them.

As for combat, I think that as long as they can pass all the PT and boot camp on the same standards as males, then they've earned the right to go into combat.

That is one problem i have...women get lower standards than men as far as PT tests...That :cen:es me off. I think that if they complain about equal treatment then they should get it. In all aspects of life.

I heard women make better fighter pilots.. they are already in provoked mode and they have "berserk" mode for 5 days every month =o.

JulesLee said:
I heard women make better fighter pilots.. they are already in provoked mode and they have "berserk" mode for 5 days every month =o.

the Russian female pilots in ww2 were something not to underestimate heh..

Is this a forum on how women would do in combat roles or a discussion on our pre-menstral state? :) Hehe

I personally think that this issue shouldnt be looked at as all women in generall. I think it should be handled more like the movie GI Jane.... In the way that only certain women who prove beyond a doubt that they can handle their job both physically and mentally should be given the chance. Not all women could handle it! As I have met many guys here in Aust, that really shouldnt be in the jobs that they are now!

As for men, and spending more time over wounded or dead females ect...Can be and should be handled in different ways! For one, ideas have been suggested that women be made up of their own companies and platoons ect and be seperated from the men. For that reason and for others such as rape ect. I think that some women are just as likely to "go to pieces" over another wounded male, if they are close, have feelings ect.

I dont really know what the answer is. And I dont think us women will ever really get the chance to do so...unless we have ww3 maybe. But from my personal view, I love the military. Its a family tradition in both my family and my husbands family, and if it was not for me falling pregnant last year, I would have completed my army training and have a career. But unfortunatley I dont think i would ever get the glorified jobs I would go for...(as I was only offered the jobs of cook, steward and driver!)
As Im only 24, i still have some time to think about it.... But good luck to all those women out there in each of the arms of defence! And I hope you all continue the fight, and hopefully get the results you want!

Missileer said:
Have you ever talked to some poor smuck who went through a divorce and came out looking like a homeless person? Women have a side to them that would scare the crap out of a Yeti.
Sorry to butt in but I believe that Missileer is right here. Women do have occasional relapses but most of the time they are as gung-ho as the next man. Im sure women could press the button. Ive seen it. I know that my AFJROTC class watched WarGames recently and the four female cadets in my class said,"TURN THE KEY! TURN THE KEY YOU DUMMY!' Where some of the male cadets were taking the side of the man who had the emotional conflict. I myself feel that the man should have turned it. My SASI told us that the fact is, all women(and men) who are in those bunkers have undergone strenuous psychological training and tests to check to see wether or not they would have those relapses you are talking about.

(Sorry bout double-posting) Its as the wise man Lewis Black once said,"Send in the men to kick some of the :cens:, send in a platoon of women during their menstrual cycle to kick the rest of it, then send in the queer men to clean up and put curtains everywhere." Hahahahaha, I love him...hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this rather long thread and I just had to add my two cents.

Allow me to address a few things… Militaries have been since the beginning of time have been masculine and macho in their very nature. It is not surprising that women often run into trouble when placed into a sea of males. Since most of us were young we were taught gender roles. Believing the they were certain things women could not do such as function in battle. The thing is that the Judo-Christian faith puts women behind men and it has stayed that way for 1000s of years. When someone says “women should be allowed into combat, they are basically going against the way things have been for 1000s of years. Naturally such a person would become a magnet for a ass chewing by traditionalists and conservatives. Probably a lot of you (myself included) were taught that it was not socially acceptable to hit females even when we get hit by them, Seeing as how it is not ok for us to strike them, it is most certainly not ok for us to allow them into a dangerous place like combat. But slowly but surely the view on traditional gender roles are changing and like it or not females often find themselves in combat and that is a reality that we all must accept.

Females have proven easier to train in the use pistols than their male counterparts. The main issue most you who are opposed to this keep bringing up is – upper body strength. It is a well known fact that females do not have the upper body strength of men. The majority of females are probably not up to the task of carrying a load of heavy gear on their back and as such should not be allowed into combat. Basically the standards should not be lowered for anyone (female or otherwise). If a female can complete the tasks required to enter a combat MOS same goes for a male. If however she can complete meet the requirements for a combat MOS – let her in. females if they work hard enough can develop enough upper body strength to left well over 400 lbs. Will they be as strong as the strongest male power lifters? No. Will they be able to lift more than most men? Yes. I have meet a few women could carry a 100 lbs on their backs on a hike (not very many mind you). During WWII some of the USSRs best snipers were women all of this needs to be taken into consideration. People like labels and often limit their thinking within those labels. Why is that? Because it makes things easier and if you don’t make things easy you will probably end up “thinking too much”. The military really doesn’t like it when people think outside the box because its seen as individuality and we all know how the military feels about that… Our military combat MOSs have been staffed by males since our great nation was founded in 1776. The old sayings “if it ain’t broken don’t fix it” probably is what is in a lot of your minds. But times change and so do people and cultures.

And speaking of cultures… introducing females to combat MOSs could have a big psychological effect on the enemy. Most males (including myself) would be embarrassed if defeated in a fight by a women. Now imagine what it would be like for a fanatical muslim guy about to wage a holy war against the infidels! Think of what it would be like to be killed by a female in combat. Here is how it would probably happen.

Terrorist: Hello Allah.
Allah: Hello my son, why are you here before me?
Terrorist: I was killed a female infidel while waging holy war
Allah: WHAT??? You sorry excuse for a man to be beaten by a lowly female!! You don’t deserve to be near me!!!!
Terrorist: But I devoted by life to fighting for your….
Allah: SILENCE!!!! (casts the terrorist into hell)
Terrorist: AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

And finally another concern is the debate if females will kill when they need to. It is a well known fact that females are mothers and nurse the young and have most of the time and compassionate side that can led to a resentment to violence. The thing is most humans have a natural resistance to kill other humans if or if not this resistance is stronger in females than it is in males has been the subject of much debate. But that is part of military training to place a ruthlessness into everyones head. What good is superb training and equipment if your not ruthless enough to apply it? Another thing is that men have a natural instinct to protect women and this may could cause problems if a female got wounded the males could freak out. However what most people don’t realize is that a female is generally much lighter than a male and could thus be carried to safety much more easily. Another thing is being taken POW…. Can you say “MARY MOTHER OF GOD” in big bold letters? Although I wouldn’t be shocked if they did it to a man females pretty much destined to be raped at least a dozen times among other not so nice things.

In a final note, the thread starter was clearly a troll. He left a single post on a message board about a topic that starts a world war ever time it is brought up and then left. This thread is been going for two years now and he (thread starter) could be considered one of the greatest trolls in the history of military.com.

If women want to go to war then let them, but they should be made to understand that they will have to pass the same courses as the men and carry the same loads. Also when you are in combat living in a trench there is not not a lot of room for privacy or personal time. Now a lot women went through hell in the forces or as spies during WW2 and they were never short of courage, mind you I have met one or two women I would not like meet in a dark alley.

If women want to go to war then let them, but they should be made to understand that they will have to pass the same courses as the men and carry the same loads. Also when you are in combat living in a trench there is not not a lot of room for privacy or personal time. Now a lot women went through hell in the forces or as spies during WW2 and they were never short of courage, mind you I have met one or two women I would not like meet in a dark alley.

Although I believe females should be allowed into combat I also like you believe that there probably would not be very many females in combat units it. Females would very likely be outnumbered at least 9 to 1.

Back