Should Women Be In The Military?

Should Women Be In The Military?

• Total voters
major liability said:
Also, in the book Starship Troopers (not sure if it's true or has been disproved), they say the average male is stronger and faster, but average females have better reflexes and g-endurance, which would seem to make them better fighter pilots and such.

Yeah, see, there's a reason why they put the 'fiction'-part in 'science fiction'.

Either way, I'd say that any individual meeting physical and psychological requirements should be allowed to do any task.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Either way, I'd say that any individual meeting physical and psychological requirements should be allowed to do any task.

Regardless of how it may affect the overrall mission? By that standard, the individual and their own desires become more important than the group. That isn't healthy or wise in the military.

LeEnfield said:
Basically if they can pass the same tests as a man then why not.

Unit cohesiveness, a biggie.

Fundamental differences in males and females, anatomically.

Male and female 18 year olds working extremely close together.

Having to rework logistics to include female needs.

...I can think of a lot of reasons. But like I said in another post, women should only be excluded from most combat arms positions. Support is fine.

LeEnfield said:
Basically if they can pass the same tests as a man then why not.

It's bad enough seeing a wounded "male" comrade, but it may lead to even worse psycological damage seeing a wounded "female" comrade. I have no problem with females serving in a more relaxed setting like they currently do, but having them in combat and front line units maybe a miss take. It's proven that males will more willingly protect female comrades and will linger around the female wounded, Israel tryed it.

Cadet Seaman...If you get into combat you will see men, women and children blown to bits, along with your friends. You either learn to live with it or go nuts.

PJ24 said:
Regardless of how it may affect the overrall mission? By that standard, the individual and their own desires become more important than the group. That isn't healthy or wise in the military.

Then how about having all-female and all-male combat units?

LeEnfield said:
Cadet Seaman...If you get into combat you will see men, women and children blown to bits, along with your friends. You either learn to live with it or go nuts.

Yes, but did you live with those people for two years, go throught hell on earth with them, or watch over them at night?

WEll, if I am not wrong Some soliders do get emotinally attached when they have gone through long wars with each other!

Yes you do and I am still in touch with most of the men that I served with Zander, and we will be all meeting up again in May. I you want to stay alive you have to stay focused, if your mate is killed outright there is nothing you can do for him, if he is wounded get the medics to him and make sure the surrounding area is safe as you can for him, but if you are attacking then the attack must still go in regardless and every man is needed to carry the position. Heartless yes, but thats war.

I have no problem with females serving in a more relaxed setting like they currently do, but having them in combat and front line units maybe a miss take.

This may be true of other militaries, but in the US military females ARE seeing combat, even though they are in combat support roles. There is nothing "relaxed" about the setting in which they serve. Do not fall into the false truth that just because someone is in a support job, his/her job is any easier or safer than combat arms.

Cadet Seaman said:
Yes, but did you live with those people for two years, go throught hell on earth with them, or watch over them at night?

I'll tell you right now, it's no harder to lose a female than it is a male. It is a crushing blow any time you lose one of your own, whether you knew them or not, but when they're on your team, it's a million times harder.

As for having to see strangers killed, that too can be difficult. Children are always a tough pill to swallow.

Your perspective is that from someone that hasn't experienced war, but there's nothing pleasant or assuring about watching someone die, whether you know them or not.

LeEnfield said:
If a 220 lb guy got shot any one would have problem lifting the fat so and so to the Aid Station

I am only 16 and weight 160lbs and i have picked up people that weight over 220lbs and had to carry them for long distances while walking or running.

I don't see anything wrong with women in the military. They deserve an equal opportunity to serve their country, and if they want to, then we shouldn't stop them.

As for combat, I think that as long as they can pass all the PT and boot camp on the same standards as males, then they've earned the right to go into combat.

There are Women in the Air Force who are probably watching some of you in your own neighborhoods as we speak. They also can erase a country with a button or from a bomber no one sees or hears coming. They're not all able to perform in some roles in the military but neither are some men. In these days of remote control destruction, war has been redefined. Rosie the Riveter is Rosie the B-2 pilot.

Back