Should Women Be In The Military?

Should Women Be In The Military?

• Total voters
zander_0633 said:
Yeah, maybe the ywanted it red so to say to their enemy that they are not who they think they are!
What does that have to do with women being in the military?

I do not have the time to read all the posts in this thread, so if I have repeated what someone else said, just ignore me.
Anyone who thinks that women shold not be in the military should look at the performance of the women who were an integral part of the red Amry during WW II. They performed as well as men, were treated alike and were able to continue right up until the end of the war or until they were killed. However, there was one difference. Today, when we fight wars, we generally go in thinking that we, the soldiers, will actually survive, and we take it hard when someone in our unit actually dies. In the Red Army of that time, everyone fully expected to die, so it was as difficult when any soldier died... but it was considered normal. Man or woman, everyone was going to die. Due to the fact that this is no longer the case, it is very difficult when there are casualties, but when western societies hear that they have lost female soldiers, the reaction is far worse. All in all, you have to ask yourself the question: Are you willing to pay that price?

Dean.

I think that women should be in the military but not in a combat situation. I'm not trying to be sexest towards women but if a 220lb guy gets shot and say his only help was a 130lb woman, could that woman carry him out. I was also listening to the radio a while back and they had people call in to talk about this same topic. The majority of the people that called in were women, in the military, that said they should not be in a combat roll. Now I'm not saying all the women said this but most did. A guy that was in an artillery unit called in and said that he had a female soldier under his command the was in perfect physical comdition and could out do most of the men in pushups, running, situps,and so on, but she could not pick up the more heavy artillery shells.

I was listening to this topic on a talk radio show and a former senator (who was female) was saying that in the US Army's own internal report they found that only 5% of females in the army could even pass the basic level of male fitness.

LeEnfield said:
If a 220 lb guy got shot any one would have problem lifting the fat so and so to the Aid Station

Do they still have the "dead man carry" in basic? I don't know why it wasn't called the wounded man carry but it was one of the toughest tests I had to do.

LeEnfield said:
If a 220 lb guy got shot any one would have problem lifting the fat so and so to the Aid Station

Hey now, I'm around 220lbs and I'm not fat at all, thank you very much! :p

On a good, calm, pretty day, I can easily toss a 220lbs guy on my back and go, but when you add stress, exhaustion, etc...even 100lbs can turn into a ton.

a common conception is that ladies can easily get emotional and despressed...

but look at this fact:
a divorced man is 8 times more likely to commit suicide than a divorced woman

Missler...carrying a downed person was also one of the tests that they did in the British Army. Not only did you have to pick him up from the deck along with his pack and weapon along with your own pack and weapon you then had to run a hundred yards with in 35 Seconds

chinese-canadian said:
but look at this fact:
a divorced man is 8 times more likely to commit suicide than a divorced woman

Check out the statistics on what men get out of the divorce and what women get, you might see why. Most guys lose a lot.

I read in an issue of Scientific American (I think, it was about a year ago and I get a lot of science mags) in an article about the differences between female and male brains, that over long or repeated periods of intense stress (i.e. combat) males' reflexes are enhanced and females' are slowly degraded due to differences in the part of the brain that handles them. However, I believe that if women can prove themselves just as well as men, they should be allowed into any role.

Also, in the book Starship Troopers (not sure if it's true or has been disproved), they say the average male is stronger and faster, but average females have better reflexes and g-endurance, which would seem to make them better fighter pilots and such.

major liability said:
average females have better reflexes and g-endurance, which would seem to make them better fighter pilots and such.
That's correct. I did a paper in college about women in combat, and ran across a retired female Air Force Captain who was a fighter pilot. She does a ton of research about women in combat, and found that women's body structure allows their heart to get blood to their extremities faster, allowing them to take more G's than a person of larger body structure (i.e. a male).

Here's [FONT=arial, helvetica]Captain Barbara A. Wilson's site:
http://userpages.aug.com/captbarb/
[/FONT]

If women have the same physical powers as men then why do they insist that they have separate games like the Olympics. Now they can't have it both ways. [Well that is open to debate]

hell yes - We've got some women training with us and they don't take any crap from anyone.

They also beat about 40% of the lads on a hill yomp recently

Back