Should the US military be larger?

US should increase its military force

• NO, it's okay at this level

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • US military force should be reduced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A gradual upscaling of numbers would do fine. The problem with just ordering up a lot more men is the affect it can have on the current US Military -- currently the most well coordinated and well organized military organization of in the world among nations with very large militaries. Would a sudden and massive influx of completely uninitiated men be a good idea? No. The US Military as we know it would have to focus far too much attention on bringing all the newbies up to speed. (This is a very good reason that the draft will probably not be seen anytime soon.) So long as the United States Military can grow without jeprodizing its opperation effectiveness, I see nothing wrong with greater numbers.

Greater numbers of Special Ops would be nice regardless of whether you see an overall increase.

The reason I say numbers is after Rangers etc. have done their difficult work, you need some soldiers to hold and secure the ground. The least you can have is a regular infantry unit doing that job. So a few more of those can be delivered faster to the war zone.

Offense meant hulk. I just had to listen to 2 guys at work (National Guard motor t) mewlin about "not signing up for deployment".

03USMC said:
Offense meant hulk. I just had to listen to 2 guys at work (National Guard motor t) mewlin about "not signing up for deployment".

Oh man do I hate those people. When I got deployed with the reserves, there were quite a few people who said "I did not sign up for this." There are too many people in the NG and reserves who sign up for the benefits and ignore the commitment.

03USMC said:

I did agree about the support units...

The infantry battalion that I was attached to had no problem deploying, now their vehicle support will follow and yes there was some belly aching about it....

The General Public both in the US and UK assume that 130,000 troops mean 130,000 men with guns, not true only 60-70,000 are 'fighting' soldiers.

Count yourselves lucky, atleast your President and congress are putting up more money. In good old Great Britain our armed forces are more stretched than ever yet the Government has just announced the army will be reduced, yes reduced to less than 100,000 men, the navy will lose 7 frigates and destroyers out of 33, attack subs down from 12 to 8. Our Reserve Forces are now only 45,000 strong and our Nuke Carrying subs take 5 days (no joke) to be able to fire and carry half the trident missiles and warheads that they were designed for. Tony Blair wants to 'save Africa' and the rest yet takes the Iraq campaign out of the forces normal annual budget.

GB had 50,000 troops/forces in Gulf War2 a far higher % of its total armed forces than the US.

I think that both countries should expand their military atleast 2 new infantry divs for the US, and GB army up to 150,000, navy up to 50 frigates + destroyers.

I am not keen on the politicans talking about more special forces. To become a SEAL or an SAS trooper is restricted to the very best and the failure % is extremely high. There are plenty of applicants but few make the grade. Therefore the standards would drop, putting the safety and operational effectiveness of these forces at risk. Bigger is not necessarily better

larsrq said:
I don't think that you need more troops. You need to have them better trained. I think that USA have the best equipment but your soldiers are not the best trained in the world. What I've seen both in the real world and on TV is that your soldiers are very in flexible. If someone doesn't give a order nothing happends. They don't have the ability to take thier own initiative.
You need better training for your troops.

This is what I have seen and observed and I'm sure that you probably gonna say against me. :)

It depends on the unit and the mission. Many units are just as flexible as units in other countries. I have worked with the Danish Jaegers and have a few close friends that are still involved, they have some of the same inflexibility issues as do other armies. The amount of training the average Marine receives per year is very large in comparison to many of the European counterparts.

Back