View Poll Results :Should the US ban the use of land mines
yes 11 37.93%
no 18 62.07%
not sure 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

--

November 30th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Against a North Korean attack? I think even though the job will become much tougher, South Korea would still beat North Korea. Simply too much is stacked against North Korea.
Unfortunately it could very possibly mean a retreat back across the Han river would be manditory, set up a defensive line there and launch a counter offensive.
However, an attack from China? It's all over. Those guys almost have more men than we got bullets. Though it's an unlikely scenario, a nice thick mine field would give me a piece of mind.

Don't sign stuff that'll prevent your side from using valuable weapons that the enemy will use anyway.
Personally I HATE landmines. But reality says you got to use them.
November 30th, 2004  
egoz

kane has a point, IEDs can be considered land mines to a point. they act in the same manner in providing an ambush type weapon. so if you want to get into it we'd have to ban explosives to prevent the use of IEDs as roadside bombs. but like i said earlier, it's a political move more than a strategic one. politicians pass laws to make themselves look good and people at home can think the world is safer. it's too bad they never have to face the harsh reality of the real world.
November 30th, 2004  
Darcia

There re like 6 million landmines between NK and SK. Well so they 'say'.

However unless some major world agrement can be reached America shouldn't ban them because they may go to war someday with someone who has them.
--
December 1st, 2004  
Young Winston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
No. Landmines are useful to extend coverage of permieters deny acess to areas and defend choke points.
I agree with O3. Nasty weapons and a long term problem but still essential for warfare.
December 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

If anything, they'll create a huge delay for the enemy that can be exploited.
December 1st, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
If anything, they'll create a huge delay for the enemy that can be exploited.
And that is the tactical main idea of using landmines. To prevent enemy to use some areas wich it is not wished to use and slow their advance to buy time for own troops manouvers.

All politicians in all countries are speaking about to replace mines with "replacing devices". What are those devices? I thought there is no devices wich are able to replace landmines 100%.

God damn stupid politicians, specially idealistic ones.
December 7th, 2004  
texasrebel211

Quote:
United States, Russia and China
those are the biggest players here since they have the best militaries

if they will not stop the use of anti-personal mines then all the other countries won't matter much