Should the US ban the use of land mines

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• not sure

• Total voters
In modern mines i think i read somewhere they can be programmed to go off or deactivate after a certain period of time, im sure there are better ways of still using mines and making sure that after the war has finished they are safe but i cant think of what else, apart from maybe being able to activate/deactivate minefields via digital signals so they are only active when the enemy is nearby and when you have friendlies wanting to move in the minefield you can switch them off?

In modern mines i think i read somewhere they can be programmed to go off or deactivate after a certain period of time, im sure there are better ways of still using mines and making sure that after the war has finished they are safe but i cant think of what else, apart from maybe being able to activate/deactivate minefields via digital signals so they are only active when the enemy is nearby and when you have friendlies wanting to move in the minefield you can switch them off?

Smart idea, but I don't think there is a need for Land mines for now.

No. Landmines are useful to extend coverage of permieters deny acess to areas and defend choke points.

Why shouldn't we ban all weapons? Is an assault rifle less lethal and does less bad than a landmine? No but children without legs are just so cute that women politicians can't resist them. That leads only to stupid contrachts like Ottawa's landmine ban and that causes a price wich will be only payed by BLOOD, own blood. Why only traditional landmines are banned? Why those by artillery and air dispenced mines are still allowed?

"i read somewhere they can be programmed to go off or deactivate after a certain period of time, im sure there are better ways of still using mines and making sure that after the war has finished they are safe but i cant think of what else"

Yes but think about a mine taking it's electric from a battery in snow and frost. Batterys just can't take too cold temperatures and when battery is up, working will stop and mine wouldn't be disarmed automatically. Those devices are never 100% trustable or maybe in clean laboratory conditions.

Because it makes the Politicians feel all warm and fuzzy. " Hey look I'm saving the World."

The same Politician will be giving a "heart felt condolence" to the grieving Mother/Widow/ Child of a solider who was killed in a thinnly defended position that could have been strengthened and better defended by placing landmines before it was overrun. Cause it's a good photo op.

03USMC said:
Because it makes the Politicians feel all warm and fuzzy. " Hey look I'm saving the World."

The same Politician will be giving a "heart felt condolence" to the grieving Mother/Widow/ Child of a solider who was killed in a thinnly defended position that could have been strengthened and better defended by placing landmines before it was overrun. Cause it's a good photo op.

I agree. The most important is to be popular and get more voters in next elections. Usually the way "to save the world" is the most utopistic available. I see that kind politics very reckless.

I don't see the point of debating whether land mines should be banned. This is bunch of ridiculous nonsense.

Another thing to point out, as minefield detection methods and technology becomes more sophisticated, so does the land mine.

One question, isn't a roadside bomb technically considered to be a land mine?

sm6598.gif

Very simple, easy to use and a cheap weapon. TNT (60g) part of the mine is the same charge originally used to blow large rocks up to smaller pieces. First drill a hole, then charge in and blow the rock up into pieces (i don't know the right term in londonese).

Blows the leg right up to knee. Enough to stop a soldier and ties at least a couple of enemies to help their wounded friend.

"One question, isn't a roadside bomb technically considered to be a land mine?"

No if it is launched manually by mechanical launch wire or if electrically detonated.

Sign the ban and kiss the defense of South Korea goodbye. It's one of the main defense measures to counter the larger NK military.

Mark the fields. Keep accurate maps. When no longer needed, clean the fields.

Just like any other laws, they're only as good as the enforcement. If the US and a handful of nations oblige and no one else does, the world is not better off.

Against a North Korean attack? I think even though the job will become much tougher, South Korea would still beat North Korea. Simply too much is stacked against North Korea.
Unfortunately it could very possibly mean a retreat back across the Han river would be manditory, set up a defensive line there and launch a counter offensive.
However, an attack from China? It's all over. Those guys almost have more men than we got bullets. Though it's an unlikely scenario, a nice thick mine field would give me a piece of mind.

Don't sign stuff that'll prevent your side from using valuable weapons that the enemy will use anyway.
Personally I HATE landmines. But reality says you got to use them.

kane has a point, IEDs can be considered land mines to a point. they act in the same manner in providing an ambush type weapon. so if you want to get into it we'd have to ban explosives to prevent the use of IEDs as roadside bombs. but like i said earlier, it's a political move more than a strategic one. politicians pass laws to make themselves look good and people at home can think the world is safer. it's too bad they never have to face the harsh reality of the real world.

There re like 6 million landmines between NK and SK. Well so they 'say'.

However unless some major world agrement can be reached America shouldn't ban them because they may go to war someday with someone who has them.

03USMC said:
No. Landmines are useful to extend coverage of permieters deny acess to areas and defend choke points.

I agree with O3. Nasty weapons and a long term problem but still essential for warfare.

the_13th_redneck said:
If anything, they'll create a huge delay for the enemy that can be exploited.

And that is the tactical main idea of using landmines. To prevent enemy to use some areas wich it is not wished to use and slow their advance to buy time for own troops manouvers.

All politicians in all countries are speaking about to replace mines with "replacing devices". What are those devices? I thought there is no devices wich are able to replace landmines 100%.

God damn stupid politicians, specially idealistic ones. :cen:

United States, Russia and China

those are the biggest players here since they have the best militaries

if they will not stop the use of anti-personal mines then all the other countries won't matter much

Back