View Poll Results :Should the US ban the use of land mines
yes 11 37.93%
no 18 62.07%
not sure 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

--

November 28th, 2004  
Shadowalker

If you use mines in your own country then they pretty much are a big deal as once the war is over it could be your kid, who doesnt have a map of the minefield who steps onto a mine and has her leg shredded from her body.
November 28th, 2004  
Darcia

The USA and the EU have alot of weapons that can be used to remove landmines. The nations they are in now the nations realy aren't doing that much to take care of them. They just leave them. and if they are doing anything it is a slow progress because of lack of funding.
November 28th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Why officially ban something that, regardless of official positions, is guaranteed to be used in any future war by the opposite side??
--
November 28th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowalker
If you use mines in your own country then they pretty much are a big deal as once the war is over it could be your kid, who doesnt have a map of the minefield who steps onto a mine and has her leg shredded from her body.
Shit happens but i see defence much more important than someone random invidual's legs. Landmines are mostly used to prevent enemy using area and to flank own troops in defence positions. Minefields surely slow enemy advance and have the psychological effect too. Would you watch your steps if you knew that it is possible to step on mine?

Landmines are very useful to protect anti tank mines and make it more difficult to go and disarm them. They also fit booby trap use.

In guerilla warfare very suitable "door bell" to protect querilla base where guerillas taking rest, and when retreating after a strike are landmines useful to just let them behind for pursuiting enemy.

Cheap multipurpose weapon wich use is limited only by user's imagination. Banned or not exploding parts of the mines aren't banned anyway and so aren't detonators. It is still possible to combine some if really needed 8)
November 28th, 2004  
EuroSpike

And landmine ban leads only to use of home made landmines wich are even more cruel. Some C4 or TNT combined with bicycle or chainsaw's chain, nails and other small metal stuff. 8)

Pipemine m/68 and all life end in 15m radius 8)
November 29th, 2004  
Darcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Why officially ban something that, regardless of official positions, is guaranteed to be used in any future war by the opposite side??

That is the honest truth, even if you ban something in your nation the enemy's nation may have not banned it.
November 29th, 2004  
USAOwnz

Quote:
Exactly!
November 29th, 2004  
egoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAOwnz
Quote:
Exactly!
that's the same way i see it. but usually things like that are more symbolic. they are a pretty nasty weapon when the war is over. so if anything i still think we should try to clean up the areas where landmines are a serious threat to the civilians population.
November 29th, 2004  
USAOwnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAOwnz
Quote:
Exactly!
that's the same way i see it. but usually things like that are more symbolic. they are a pretty nasty weapon when the war is over. so if anything i still think we should try to clean up the areas where landmines are a serious threat to the civilians population.
Yeah cleaning it all up would be a great idea. However, we should make sure our enemy does not use them.
November 29th, 2004  
Missileer

Topic: Land Mines

Land mines are just one more horror of war that will never go away so we need to continue the research on mine detection and destruction. Most mines have a drawback, they have to be close to the surface making them more detectable with low frequency radar similar to sonar. Even the plastic composite ones can be detected by using a "signature" recognition in comparative flash memory. Some companies are producing ground penetrating radar for hunting for anomalies such as buried treasure and even human remains. I have some hope for the technology. As I wrote, just like nuclear weapons, mines will always be used by someone, ban or not.