Should the U.S. Census Count War Veterans?

Should the U.S. Census Also Count War Veterans?

• Yes, too many fakers claim of Vet status and benefits.

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • No, it's redundant and doesn't hurt anyone.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I don't care what people say about their Vet status.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Missileer

This poll is for everyone regardless of age, country, or military status. Just think in regards to what you think about the census in your own situation.

"Due to the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq the number of military personal serving in a combat theater has increased... so to has the number of individuals claiming to be war veterans of WW2, Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War and the various hostile engagements during the 1980's and 1990's.

For example, between 1954 and 1975 2.7 million Americans served in-country Vietnam. An additional 400,000 Americans served in Vietnam waters. In 1995 a group of veterans organizations led by the American War Library conducted a nationwide survey which reported that over 9 million Americans claimed to have served in-country Vietnam... making it apparent that over 6 million Americans registered false claims.

To date the United States Census which is conducted every 10 years has never counted the number of living war veterans who served in-country or in-waters during a conflict period... the U.S. Census counts only "Era" veterans.

Last edited:
The last census in Britain had a funny twist to it, where it asked about religion, so many people entered Jedi Warrior it became about the third largest religion in Britain

Missileer said:
For example, between 1954 and 1975 2.7 million Americans served in-country Vietnam. An additional 400,000 Americans served in Vietnam waters. In 1995 a group of veterans organizations led by the American War Library conducted a nationwide survey which reported that over 9 million Americans claimed to have served in-country Vietnam... making it apparent that over 6 million Americans registered false claims.

Sure they should be counted, but I'm not sure how to go about it and filter out the real deals from the liars. I doubt requiring proof would go well or be very practical.

The last census in Britain had a funny twist to it, where it asked about religion, so many people entered Jedi Warrior it became about the third largest religion in Britain

:lol: :lol: That's awesome!

PJ24 said:
Sure they should be counted, but I'm not sure how to go about it and filter out the real deals from the liars. I doubt requiring proof would go well or be very practical.

DD214's.....still have my hard copy as well as a few copies scanned and burned to CD.

I would have problem funrishing a copy, to prove my military service.

LeEnfield said:

The way I heard it, it was Australian’s who stated their religion was “Jedi” in a survey and once my buddies heard about it I received a lot of lack, being a Star Wars geek..

Either way it is funny, but think of the ethos of the fictitious Jedi.

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.

Very straight and to the point, sorry to have strayed off topic.

Good idea, but how do you prevent the same 6 million from again claiming to be "veterans"? How in the world do you prove the numbers collected are true?

tomtom22 said:
Good idea, but how do you prevent the same 6 million from again claiming to be "veterans"? How in the world do you prove the numbers collected are true?

Well, thanks to technology, here's one way. Use the same kind of computer watchdog to flag certain bits of information. Most of the liars catch themselves by getting the attention of someone who can spot them. For example, at most businesses, you enter your veteran status, especially at defense companies. Check out this website and take the original poll.

http://members.aol.com/veterans/warlib46.htm

http://members.aol.com/veterans/

The American War Library
The World's Oldest and Largest
Online Public Access
Military/Veteran/Military Family Member
Registry

Last edited:
jedi078 said:
DD214's.....still have my hard copy as well as a few copies scanned and burned to CD.

I would have problem funrishing a copy, to prove my military service.

DD214s aren't hard to fake with computer tech being what it is. I've seen far too many that looked good to go by all standards only to get the FOIA report back and find out it was bogus.

Well, thanks to technology, here's one way. Use the same kind of computer watchdog to flag certain bits of information. Most of the liars catch themselves by getting the attention of someone who can spot them. For example, at most businesses, you enter your veteran status, especially at defense companies. Check out this website and take the original poll.

With sites like that, and correct me if I missed something, you have to register. Me, personally, I don't like putting my name out on too many databases that aren't official.

The best way for another vet to find a phoney is to hear a story and catch something that doesn't mesh. I'm not sure the Census takers would have the time to weed through and double check everyone's story via a database or not.

I don't think there is any way to keep the phonies out of the Census numbers, but the DoD releases numbers every fiscal year, so it wouldn't hurt for them to check their numbers with the DoD and sort of take it from there.

No clue.:???:

LeEnfield said:

Hmm, asked their religion in the Census? Isn't that kind of asking for trouble? Furthermore don't people, especially those of a certain religion, worry about putting their religion on the census? That is how Hitler was able to "round up all the jews" during the Holocaust.

Hell no ... a vet recognizes another vet within a very short time and it is NOT necessary to add this question to a census ... if I was asked that question, I'd tell the person taking the census to get lost just as fast as if they were asking me what my religion was.

My friends and relatives know what my status is and I don't give a d*mn what anyone else knows or don't know.

Damien435 said:
Hmm, asked their religion in the Census? Isn't that kind of asking for trouble? Furthermore don't people, especially those of a certain religion, worry about putting their religion on the census? That is how Hitler was able to "round up all the jews" during the Holocaust.
The religion question on the U.K. cencus was the only question that was optional (or could be filled in incorrectly).
It was an offense to do so with any of the other questions as was ommiting answers.(Right to silence?)
This is why so many people entered Jedi as a feeble protest at being forced to divulge personal information.
As for vets I think that one of the support organisations should ask them whether its a good idea or not.

AlexKall said:
May I ask what a Census is?

cen·sus ([FONT=verdana, sans-serif] P [/FONT]) Pronunciation Key (s
ebreve.gif
n
prime.gif
s
schwa.gif
s)
n.
  1. An official, usually periodic enumeration of a population, often including the collection of related demographic information.
  2. In ancient Rome, a count of the citizens and an evaluation of their property for taxation purposes.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=census

I'm not sure about the data management system now but I went right to my Grandfather's WW1 draft card on a census check. The Government, especially the military, records on vets are so often wrong. On DD214s five copies may have five mistakes, the data would have to come out of your personnel packet. A lot of the WWII records and some Vietnam Vet records were burned in the fire at St. Louis in 1973.

I am with tomtom and Chief Bones on this one. There is no way someone conducting a census is going to have the knowhow to know if a person is a vet or not. I mean we still got people faking that they recieved the Medal of Honor. Like Chief Bones, I do not volunteer any information like race religion and such when filling out forms. That type of information does not really change who I am and I do not agree with that info being used for job and college applications as a means to meet curtain quotas and such

Back