Should the U.S. Census Count War Veterans? - Page 2

View Poll Results :Should the U.S. Census Also Count War Veterans?
Yes, too many fakers claim of Vet status and benefits. 15 78.95%
No, it's redundant and doesn't hurt anyone. 4 21.05%
I don't care what people say about their Vet status. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

--

March 15th, 2006  
sven hassell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Hmm, asked their religion in the Census? Isn't that kind of asking for trouble? Furthermore don't people, especially those of a certain religion, worry about putting their religion on the census? That is how Hitler was able to "round up all the jews" during the Holocaust.
The religion question on the U.K. cencus was the only question that was optional (or could be filled in incorrectly).
It was an offense to do so with any of the other questions as was ommiting answers.(Right to silence?)
This is why so many people entered Jedi as a feeble protest at being forced to divulge personal information.
As for vets I think that one of the support organisations should ask them whether its a good idea or not.
March 17th, 2006  
AlexKall

May I ask what a Census is?
March 17th, 2006  
FULLMETALJACKET

honestly yes.
--
March 21st, 2006  
Marinerhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
May I ask what a Census is?
cen·sus ( P ) Pronunciation Key (snss)
n.
  1. An official, usually periodic enumeration of a population, often including the collection of related demographic information.
  2. In ancient Rome, a count of the citizens and an evaluation of their property for taxation purposes.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=census
March 24th, 2006  
LeEnfield

There are so many Walters out there just who is going to check that the Vetrans are who they say are.
March 24th, 2006  
Missileer

I'm not sure about the data management system now but I went right to my Grandfather's WW1 draft card on a census check. The Government, especially the military, records on vets are so often wrong. On DD214s five copies may have five mistakes, the data would have to come out of your personnel packet. A lot of the WWII records and some Vietnam Vet records were burned in the fire at St. Louis in 1973.
March 26th, 2006  
Duty Honor Country

I am with tomtom and Chief Bones on this one. There is no way someone conducting a census is going to have the knowhow to know if a person is a vet or not. I mean we still got people faking that they recieved the Medal of Honor. Like Chief Bones, I do not volunteer any information like race religion and such when filling out forms. That type of information does not really change who I am and I do not agree with that info being used for job and college applications as a means to meet curtain quotas and such