Should there be a Smoking Ban in Bars & Restaurants?

Should there be a Smoking Ban in Bars & Restaurants?

• Total voters
I didn't read the whole treat, but I want to tell you my opinion, too, even it has already appeared.

I'm a smoker myself, but I appreciate a ban in restaurants, because I think it's rude to smoke while other people are eating, especially if they don't smoke.
In Bars there should be a ban, too, but that is not so important for me.

I think they should ban smoking only in restaurants because, every time I go somewhere with my friends, lets say Hooters, my mom always thinks I've been smoking.

Since I travel a lot on business, I have found that if I don't check into a motel early, all the non-smoking rooms are taken and all the smoking rooms are empty. I have gotten stuck with the stench of a smoking room too often so now I call around until I find a non-smoking hotel or motel. I wonder how the managers would like it if I, say, decided to fry up a can of sardines or use the corner for a urinal?

Missileer said:
Since I travel a lot on business, I have found that if I don't check into a motel early, all the non-smoking rooms are taken and all the smoking rooms are empty. I have gotten stuck with the stench of a smoking room too often so now I call around until I find a non-smoking hotel or motel. I wonder how the managers would like it if I, say, decided to fry up a can of sardines or use the corner for a urinal?

Sur strömming would be a good thing to put in the corner!

(its basicly rotten fish)

NOTE:

I am not a smoker...

but, I do think people should have the right to smoke, especially in bars...people go there to unwind, relax, and have a good time...so why take that right away??

Resturants, well hell thats why we have smoking and non-smoking sections...it dosent bother me, if people wanna roast their lungs thats their damn business...I figure my lungs are probably roasted from all this ****en pollution anyway....to sum it up...people have the right to do what they wish with their bodies, and feed their habits...lol...

Since smoking has been banned in pubs in the UK, hundreds of pubs have had to close down. The pubs should be given the choice of allowing smoking or not or at least have a area of the pub sectioned off for smokers.

-snip-
Schwarzenegger bans smoking in prisons: California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who set up a tent outside his smoke-free state office to accommodate his taste for a good cigar, signed a bill Monday barring tobacco from state prisons. The measure amends the state's penal code to bar tobacco products from prisons and youth correctional facilities. Violators are subject to a fine.

Lets see: If I am sentenced to a prison haul, I am also (but not said so) sentenced to starve for a smoke? Let me f*** up the *** for getting one?

Sorry, from a (recent) non-smoker, cannot follow on that one, I think if a SC has rights over states laws (do not know for US, in Eurpe it is like that) it would be a case for it (or change the laws: Every sentence includes you have to become a non-smoker, might have a better effect than life sentence or death penalty...)

Supporters say the changes will help save the state money on health care -snip-

Yeah.

We (ex) smokers die 20 years earlier statistically, not developing stuff like old-age cancer (long term treatment) senility, alzheimer or renal failures (which, IIRC, are the 4 most costing illnesses). Include the alcoholics liver replacement and you are up to 60% of the health care cost (the nexxt biggy is artificial hips which we won´t need). We save you non-smokers by dying when its time, usually by a fast lung cancer or heart attack.

Rattler

Last edited:
NOTE:

I am not a smoker...

but, I do think people should have the right to smoke, especially in bars...people go there to unwind, relax, and have a good time...so why take that right away??

Resturants, well hell thats why we have smoking and non-smoking sections...it dosent bother me, if people wanna roast their lungs thats their damn business...I figure my lungs are probably roasted from all this ****en pollution anyway....to sum it up...people have the right to do what they wish with their bodies, and feed their habits...lol...

I do not know how it is sold in the US, but here it is sold (and I agree that secondary smoking has to be taken into account for todays bycicle-helmet society from their POV, and legally as citizens rights to be protected from contamination) as a tool to *protect waiters and staff* from the contamination smoke they have to inhale from customers would produce (an equivalent would be the law to wear carbon filter masks when you work as a painter). NOTE that alcohol is not banned in Europe following the same line of argument, as it is not doing harm to employees.

My take: Exempt bars/restaurant that are run by the owner alone. No harm done to employees (and European courts already stopping states short there).

Also, exempt "Smokers Clubs" (which exist). Your hobby is smoking the latest taste of cigars from who-the-f+++-knows? Fine with the law (sentences along those lines out in Europe, especially Germany).

I do *not* follow the smokers lobby that ppl that need a job could work in a non-smokers bar, as this might change anytime due to owners decisions.

Rattler

Last edited:
I have never and will never smoke tobacco, but the smell honestly doesn't bother me at all unless someone deliberately blows smoke in my face.

I think that in bars it should be up totally up to the owner whether or not smoking is allowed. If employees don't like it they can find a job somewhere else or quit if the policy has been changed to allow smoking. If you're a customer in a bar you're most likely drinking things that are far worse for your long-term health than tobacco smoke.

Restaurants are a different story, I think they should be required to either ban smoking or provide a separate area for smokers. It's not right to expose people and children who aren't even drinking to something harmful like that.

Either way, I pity the smoker who has to go outside in the winter. Smoking in the cold can be painful and I hear it can even cause water droplets to form in your lungs.

Last edited:
Back