• Yes (adult)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (teen)

• No (adult)

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

From time to time this issue comes up. I have heard of a few proposals on the issue. The one in California is probably the most interesting.

A bill was introduced that would allow teens 14 and older to vote on state issues. To change the national voting age would require a constitutional amendment. Teens 14 or 15 would count as 1/4 of a full vote while teens 16 and 17 would get 1/2 of a full vote.

How do people feel about this issue?

Definition of Teen in this poll: someone who is under the age of 18

Well im mixed (adult) :lol: I dont really know if or if not. Its hard to say, i can say that i wasnt even a bit interested to vote when i was 14, wasnt remotly interested and if i got a vote i might have put it on something just to vote which would be really bad hehe. But still many teens do know alot about politics and such which might make that person a asset to the society.

I might be considered as a teen at the age of 19 but i have had voting rights for more then two rears so in this case i wont consider my self as a teen.

no, im 15 and i don't think im stupid, but the majority of teens smoke maryjane and get wasted on the weekends playing poker with their buddies, the USA and other countries would be mesesed up. see! :cheers:

Its similar to the question: How old does a person have to be to comprehend the idea of right and wrong? There is no correct answer ultimately. Teens may have the knowledge to make an informed decision. Many adults do not.

webs said:
no, im 15 and i don't think im stupid, but the majority of teens smoke maryjane and get wasted on the weekends playing poker with their buddies, the USA and other countries would be mesesed up. see! :cheers:

That may be true, but then again I do not see those people actually getting up and making the effort to vote. Most are not interested in politics. They just don't realize that this is our future we are talking about.

webs said:

The same can be said for a few million adults in this country. I have to shake my head at some of the people I have seen that are supposedly adults.

The main reason why I think teens should not vote is the fact that they easily influenced by a bunch of things. Parents, friends, boy/girl friends, high school social pressure, pop culture is just to name a few influences in a teen’s life. Yes, those things influence adults too but not to the same degree. Most of the time, a person will change the most once he or she leaves the house for the first time. That generally happens at 18. I believe that a change occurs because of the individual freedom of a few of the influences stated above.

It’s my personal theory…does anyone wish to swat me down?

Doody, I agree with your reasoning entirely. Excellent points as to why teens should not have the right to vote.

Speaking as a teen i would say HELL NO, i mean you get a couple good ones like myself and GOTR and Webs, but i am around teens everyday and they are, well i won't say what they are because it is inappropriate, on the other hand alot of people over the age of 18 act worse than certain teens so should they be allowed to vote?

Speaking as a teenager myself (17), I would say that most High School Seniors who are 18 are easy prey to lies and propaganda (whether it be anti-Bush or anti-Kerry). Many adults are too, this is the sadness of democracy. :(

18+
Too many teenagers are too thick. Dunno about the girls though. You know which girls are the smart ones by seeing the ones not dating highschool boys. Looking back their excellent judgement of character awes me.
Then again thickness applies to adults too.
Dictatorship :)

just kidding folks :p
Except the teens under 18 shouldn't vote thing.

Well i think the vote age should stay where it is, but latley(Im 16 so keep that in mind) all my classmates seem much more mature than I expected and all seem to know politics so by the time they are eighteen they would know even more and making them smart enough to vote

I would never want to have teens voting! I'm 17 by the way. Most of the people I know that are my age don't have a clue about politics.

Well, sometimes teenagers don't have enough background or knowledge of politics to know what effect their vote will have. I think 18+ is a good age but even at that age I think they should look into getting some info on who's running and so on. I don't think there are many who are under the age of 18 that really realize what a difference one vote can make.

Teens are under too much peer pressure to give a reliable vote, although, I believe once they turn 18 and are elligible to join the military they should be able to voice their opinion as they are defending our country.

SFC

Back