Should Schwarzenegger be allowed to run for President?

Should Schwarzenegger be allowed to run for President?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

I have been seeing a few members talking about the possibility of Arnold Schwarzenegger. This deserves a thread of it's own.

The issue at hand is amending the Constitution to allow people who are not born in the US to run for President.

Do you agree with this?

I dont believe so, because you have to be born in America to be the president. Besides I think hes as better actor than governor. :lol:

as of now, I am not sure about it. I head that one version of the amendment said that the person would have to live in the US for over 30 or 40 years.

I guess I am going to see if anyone on the forum can sway me to one side or the other ;)

No, the article in teh Constitution allowing only natural born citizens to become president is a safety mechanism, so the American belief isnt too heavily influenced by other countries politics.

Thats a big YES it should be enjoyable listening to his speaches and so on.
Plus he has already been trained as an actor so he should fit in quite well
with the rest of them.

He'd be a great president.
The TERMINATOR says your country will be TERMINATED! :twisted:
And what an impact the small country of Austria will have had on world history!

No. If he loved the US so much, he could have enlisted his service to Her, not spent most of his time making action flicks. (this is not meant to overshadow some of the excellent charity work he has done) IMO, and I too am a immigrant to the US, the prerequisites are fine and there is no need to change them for one man to which many are still star stricken by.

We can't get an amendment to protect our American flag so I'd say we'll never see a non US born president.

He should. Who's more American than him?

ahhh, anyone that was born there and speaks English without an Austrian accent? :D (No offence meant to people with accents, I have one 2...)

I do think that if he is a citizen, he should be allowed to run. The USA is a country of immigrants...

It may be time to revisit the idea of natural born citizens being the only ones allowed to be president. Some of the reasons behind that being put in the Constitution are no longer as valid in modern America.

However, that doesn't mean that I think Arnold would necessarily be a good president.

Well, the question is should people not born in the USA be allowed to run, not if you would vote for "The Terminator" :D

Arnold Schwarzenegger is an American.
Back when he was in Austria he was a different person. How do you know what course your life will take? He was in action flicks because that's what he was good at. Now he's proven himself in politics. He's charismatic, centrist and capable. Who cares if he was born elsewhere?
In fact he's the personification of the American dream.

First before we talk about rather he should be allowed for the presidency, we should let him choose what party he belongs too, he calims to be Republican yet he married a kennedy and he is passing Democrat laws.

Plus if we allowed foriuegn people to be our President it would just makie for a bigger problem and allow some crazy nation to come in ana d take us over

Sorry about that post, I was half asleep when I did it..

But what I was trying to say was that it would open a gate for a possible take over, I Think that the Presidency should be a position that only Citizens Born in America deserve to have, maybe in 75 years it won't be but right now it should be, after all being born in America realy gets you nothing now. States allow anyone to get elected now.

Despite his very thick Austrian accent, Arnold is much more American than anything else at this point. He's a smart man and his movie-star celebrity status is more a benefit than a detriment in his political career. If it were not for the Constitution's prohibition disallowing him from running for President, he might be a strong candidate. Still, wouldn't an Amendment to the Constitution be a bit much? I mean, its just to accomodate ONE SINGLE PERSON. That's why I find it unlikely.

Just because he is a wealthy movie icon turned politician makes him no more American than the infant born 15 mins ago.

Not that long ago, a young man immigrated to the United States from Africa, work menial labour jobs to save money and later acquired his green card - with one goal in mind, to join the US military. He was killed during Operation Enduring Freedom - since we're into comparing how much of an American people are, I would say he wins against the good Governor hands down.

A lot of people are star struck by him, and not much more. I would much rather seen a "average" American (ie. those that may have the smarts, but not the big money to run on) have the opportunity to run for President before allowing a Constitutional Amendment for one man whose biggest contribution (as of now) to this country is making entertainment.

While I believe him to be of good character, and often very charitable with his time and money - he has hardly proven himself to be worthy of such a change to such an important document.

My .02

Idealistically, I certainly agree with you RndrSafe, but Americans are the way they are. Also, the way the press handles the President of the United States is brutal. An average American could do their job better than anyone before them and the press would demonize them for it. Sad but true.

The media wants a circus. A movie star is better capable of accomodating them than anybody else. Remember Reagan and his tendency to make the press look stupid for criticizing him? He had lived in the public spotlight for decades and he knew how to take the media and spin their heads. The current political environment of the USA is ideally suited for actors -- NOT those who are are ultra-liberal or ultra-conservative mind you. An actor who is politically moderate has tremedous potential. It's not a matter of what is right or wrong unfortunately.

As far as Arnold goes, he fits the profile for the most part, but he's not a great choice because he is not born in the USA.

Back