Should Russia return the occupied 4 islands of Japan?

FlyingFrog

Russia occupied the Northern 4 Islands of Japan after WW2, today the 2 countries still have problem on this issue. Japans PM just checked the 4 islands 2 weeks ago on boat, and got warned by Russia.

Will japan ever get her occupied lands back?

Any info how Russia took these islands away from Japan?

Do you have any more info about those 4 islands?

Populations, how large are they, any industry etc..???

03USMC said:
They were part of the Treaty. And no I don't think Russia will cede them.

If it is already treatied then it is done. Then why the japans PM still goes around the islands on boat to check it, even with her boss USA on the back, japan can do nothing to take it back, although obviously japan wants the islands back.

see this map:

ja-map.gif

Disputes - international:
The sovereignty dispute over the islands of Etorofu, Kunashiri, and Shikotan, and the Habomai group, known in Japan as the "Northern Territories" and in Russia as the "Southern Kuril Islands", occupied by the Soviet Union in 1945, now administered by Russia and claimed by Japan, remains the primary sticking point to signing a peace treaty formally ending World War II hostilities.

News:
Koizumi may inspect Russian-held islands off Hokkaido
NOTE: he already done it.

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said Wednesday he is considering inspecting the Russian-held islands off Hokkaido from a boat.

"I'm considering (inspecting the islands)," Koizumi told reporters Wednesday. However, he categorically denied intending to land on any of the four islands that have been occupied by the defunct Soviet Union and then Russia since Japan's defeat in World War II.

Even though Koizumi stopped short of clarifying the schedule of his inspection, sources at the prime minister's secretariat said he is likely to inspect the islands from a Japan Coast Guard patrol boat in early September.

He would be the third prime minister to inspect the so-called Northern Territories. Prime Minister Zenko Suzuki and Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori viewed the islands from a helicopter in September 1981 and April 2001, respectively.

Koizumi is also studying a plan to hold talks with former residents of the four islands -- Kunashiri, Etorofu, Habomai and Shikotan.

Former ruling Liberal Democratic Party Vice President Taku Yamasaki, a close aide to Koizumi, has told his allies that the prime minister is enthusiastic about visiting the Northern Territories. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, Aug. 25, 2004)

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/archive/200408/25/20040825p2a00m0dm008000c.html

Japan PM inspecting Russian Occupied 4 Islands:

2004090366398.jpg

On September 2, Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi (right) inspects four northern islands that are under territorial dispute with Russia. As a prime minister for two consecutive terms, this is his third inspection, but it is different from his former inspections which were via airplane as this one was on a coast guard inspection boat in close range. This seems to be an earnest emphasis on the current situation with Russian President Vladimir Putin visiting Japan next year.

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?bicode=060000&biid=2004090366398

Well, perhaps its naive, but shouldn't it be up to the people living there to decide which nation they wish to be a part of, if both have legitimate claim to them?

godofthunder9010 said:
Well, perhaps its naive, but shouldn't it be up to the people living there to decide which nation they wish to be a part of, if both have legitimate claim to them?

You think there live many people? I bet more penguins are living there :lol:

FlyingFrog said:
godofthunder9010 said:

You think there live many people? I bet more penguins are living there :lol:

So it must be done. Let the penguins decide!

Back in WW2 towards the end Russia decided to take Japan, and that was as far as they got. Both Nations claim them right now, The Main thing is that Russia feels the same way about them as chechnya, letting them go would be a sign of weakness to the world so probably they will have to be taken by force.

In my opinion, this on just one of two territories that Russia really ought to have no business occupying. The former East Prussia is a more blatant example of Russia hanging onto something that they should have no business even claiming as their own.

I think following:

Although Chinese have big problem with japanese at this moment and maybe in coming 50 years, but I think it is well possible:

Suppose China in 2050 is super super strong, 10 times stronger than Russia, and China goes to occupy whole East Russia, then japan will get the change again to get back these islands.

godofthunder9010 said:
In my opinion, this on just one of two territories that Russia really ought to have no business occupying. The former East Prussia is a more blatant example of Russia hanging onto something that they should have no business even claiming as their own.

I am sure there are people who feel the same about some of the areas that the US occupied....and some that we still hold as possessions of the US.

As far as I know, these areas were treatied, and therefore belong to whom they belong. If Japan wants them, she'll have to bargain for them, although I would guess it would be a fruitless effort.

godofthunder9010 said:
The US and UK have a pretty good track record of returning things to their owner, etc. Russia doesn't.

Not really, UK has lost her power, she is no more the Empire as she was before. UK didn't want to return HongKong to China, but Deng Xiaoping told their lady Thacther that if you don't leave, then I will send PLA to kick you out, so Thachther got terrified and fell from the traps of the Great Hall building when she left Deng :lol:

It is a matter how big your fist is, not you are kind or evil.

I've never heard of China threatening the UK over Hong Kong. We'll have to assume its a made up story unless you can provide a source. I can certainly imagine there is some basis for it. I'd just like to see an unbiased version of it.

godofthunder9010 said:
I've never heard of China threatening the UK over Hong Kong. We'll have to assume its a made up story unless you can provide a source. I can certainly imagine there is some basis for it. I'd just like to see an unbiased version of it.

But it is truth. It is not made up story. I may not have heard something does not mean that thing does not exist. I don't have English source here but only Chinese sources (a lot of officials sources) but I don't think I will dig them up via Google since I don't need to prove anything :D

Back