Should people do things that they do not enjoy doing?

Bullpup_four

Doing things that people do not enjoy doing, I agree that it is a good thing to do. Experience is a part of life and that it might benefit you later on during your life time. Life has to do with doing something you hate because life does not work out like people want it to be. Also when people do the things that they do not enjoy doing, later on, people are able to master new skills and have new possibilities for the jobs later.
Experience is a part of life. Doing something that you do not want to be doing is also a part of the life. And that is why I said that doing things that people do not enjoy doing is good. If you do something that you do not enjoy doing, even though you will not like what you do, you will explore more and have more experience based on the thing that you do. Sometimes you don't like the thing that you do, but you never know that during your lifetime, the thing that you do will benefit you later on. How can it benefit you later on? Well, when it is time for you to get a job, you might get a job relating to the thing that you did not enjoy doing in your past life.
Life, I would say that life is something that never works out like the way I want it to be. And I am sure it is not only me who thinks like that but other people around the world will also think the same too.Since life is something that no one can ever control but the time, you have to be able to do the thing or the work that you don't enjoy doing efficiently because like I have mentioned in the previous paragraph, you never know what will be your future! During anyone's lifetime, people get to face the things or the problems that they do not like and they do not like to face. And facing the problem where you have to do the things that you do not like is also something that you cannot control. For example, you hate to take tests but you have to in order to pass the class. That is something that you hate and you cannot avoid it because we don't have any control over our lives that we cannot just do whatever things we want to do.
Even though we do not want to do the things that we do not enjoy doing of, think that as a challenge for you. Doing things that you do not enjoy doing will not make yourself to die or do anything that is harmful to you. Some people that I know challenge themselves when doing the things that they hate or they do not enjoy of. And I think that it is a good thing to do because you can master new skills by doing something that you hate and the new skills that you learn will benefit you at any times. Then again, you have new possibilities for your future since you have mastered a new skills. You will get to have variety of jobs to choose from when having the choice of getting the job. And using the new skills that you have made, you can get a job relating to the new skills that you have made.
Owning the experience of the thing that a person does not enjoy of doing is something that a person cannot earn easily. Controling our lives and our environment is something that people cannot do. Challenge our hateness to change to be the likeness will change out attitude towards the things that we do not enjoy doing of. And I would say because of experience, life and challenge, people shoud sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing.

You don't really have a choice in the matter, do you? Ya can't help suffering third degree burns in a house fire, can you? You don't have to like something in life- you just have to do it, and do it well. Everyone has their own breaking point and there's usually just so much life can throw at them. We all benefit from a little character, no doubt about it. I guess the question now is, "Do you really want to get character, or get screwed over when everything goes totally south because you opted out of character?"

#four, someone said "Men live their lives in quiet desperation" or sometning similar to that. I don't buy that. I think that doing some things that are not what you think is necessary is just a step to doing the things you like. In College, my major was Electrical Engineering but I had to take a course called "Manufacturing Processes" which taught welding, brazing, soldering, and cutting steel and metals. Then we had to learn to set up and run a metal lathe and mill. I hated every minute in class because it was a waste of time since I've used that knowledge very little in my career. I'm not ashamed to say that I barely passed that class with a "C" because I thought I would have to retake it.

Since I was pretty young, I didn't realize that life was to be an imitation of my College experience. I had to work on a project that I hated because it wasn't in my field, just like in school. Since I loved the rest of my work, I just performed my job as if I liked it because I knew that part of it was temporary. I also found out later that I earned a lot of respect in my department because others before me had refused to work on that project. So, out of bad, came good, if only indirectly.

Missilleer- you listen to pink floyd?:) I kinda envy you because you got to play with lathes and mills, woodworking and machining make up my hobbies.

I still stand firm, #4, that you really don't have a choice in life but to take what it throws at you. Best outcome is, you trump your difficulties and don't complain about it. Did I complain when I had to swim an hour and a half while having convulsions from sodium overabundance? Don't think I did. I didn't complain about swimming, horseback riding, or playing baseball with a broken collarbone, either- the fact that I didn't know it was broken notwithstanding.

Maybe you have misunderstood what I meant.
I meant that you cannot avoid doing something that you don't enjoy to do, and that you have to actively put yourself into situations you don't like.
For example, you don't like to cook but in order to cook,
you take cooking classes.
You don't like learning Chinese, you put yourself into the Chinese class.
By doing or putting yourself into the situations like that, you will hate the classes but it will benefit you later on.

I'll give you the classic business school answer (if I learned nothing else getting my MBA, I learned this): "it depends." :lol:

Seriously, though, you need to look at your goals and objectives and determine whether or not the short-term suffering has a long-term gain. To use your cooking example -- will taking the lessons, which will allow you to cook, also provide more "good times" with a loved one in the kitchen? Will it allow you to eat healthier? If so, then cooking and the lessons are an ends to a means.

If you take Chinese lessons, you expect to be able to go to China at some point (either in business or the military) to utilize your language skills. Otherwise, why take the lessons? Self-enrichment is great, but only if you're truly interested in the subject.

So yes, suffer if you must, but at least with a long-term goal in mind.

Back