Should Pakistan be concerned?

KnightTemplar

As many of us probably already know, India and Pakistan are huge rivals. Recent news has gotten me thinking. With all the military purchases India has made recently, should Pakistan be concerned? For that matter, since both countries are nuclear capable, should other countries be concerned? Just to mention a few of the purchases, we have the U.S. (Aegis, F-35, C-17, M777), the Russians ([URL="http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/russia-unveils-its-first-stealth-t81359.html"]5th Gen Fighter[/URL] as well as existing Carrier Based Fighters and an Aircraft Carrier), and Italy providing Recon helicopters.

India doesn't care about Pakistan anymore. Pakistan is a failed state and the only concern they have with them is nukes. India wouldn't want to include Pakistan into its territory because they don't need that muslim crap. India is gearing its military to aggression with China.

India is positioning itself as a global player. It, like China has extended itself economically and has global interests. this in turn has created the need to be able to protect those interests and project its sovereign power, in short it is in the Superpower wannabe club.

Having China on its border, following a similar strategy is only going to focus their thoughts and efforts more towards a protectionist base, with a limited global power projection in the short term.

Wallabies, I disagree with you in the terms that India does not care about Pakistan anymore - there are too many issues between the 2 countries to be settled in a day or ignored. Kashmir is just one that will keep going, as well as the fact that India has a large muslim community, as well as many other ethnic groups. Add to that a caste system which is building tensions amonsgst the haves and the have nots and a dwindling water supply, which will impact this mainly agrarian society in the next 20 years. These are just a few of the factors that will dominate Indian foreign and domestic policy for the coming century.

Wallabies, I disagree with you in the terms that India does not care about Pakistan anymore - there are too many issues between the 2 countries to be settled in a day or ignored. Kashmir is just one that will keep going, as well as the fact that India has a large muslim community, as well as many other ethnic groups. Add to that a caste system which is building tensions amonsgst the haves and the have nots and a dwindling water supply, which will impact this mainly agrarian society in the next 20 years. These are just a few of the factors that will dominate Indian foreign and domestic policy for the coming century.

Pakistan lost a whole area to the Taliban, if India really wanted to they could take the Kashmir region right now. Instead they're just waiting for Pakistan to implode and then move their troops in.

Still, India could have a huge pressure off if Pakistan isn't in their front door. The border they share reminds me the DMZ

India and Pakistan have a hatred for each other of such great intensity that mere words do not adequetely describe it. Even their people seem to disagree on everything. Heck I remember that just little more than a decade ago, the two were on the brink of full-scale war, with the addition of Nuclear weapons.

Concerned, yes. They should definitely be concerned. But not about India, at least not in the first place. With the Taliban and tribal warlords already controlling large areas in the north-west of Pakistan, I fear for that country whenever the day may come that the Taliban are driven out of Afghanistan, because this is the place they'll come to.

Pakistan lost a whole area to the Taliban, if India really wanted to they could take the Kashmir region right now. Instead they're just waiting for Pakistan to implode and then move their troops in.
you are absolutely right on this one.

its not pakistan but india who should be concerned,with hostile nations encircling it.pakistan on one side, bangladesh and myanmaar(burma) on other and china above with indonesia as economic rival.

Back