Should NATO support Kosovo's independence?




View Poll Results :Should NATO support Kosovo's Independence?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

 
--
Should NATO support Kosovo's independence?
 
March 17th, 2008  
Setback
 
 

Topic: Should NATO support Kosovo's independence?


Should NATO support Kosovo's independence?
This question really goes back to the breakup of Yugoslavia and the (Third) Balkan War; has the international community been fighting the wrong side?
March 17th, 2008  
Del Boy
 
I'll stake an early claim. Absolutely wrong, from day one. The bombing of Belgrade was a monstrous decision.

I'll now pass the conch.
March 17th, 2008  
mmarsh
 
 
I vote yes. Lets not forget that the Serbs attempted to exterminate every Albanian they could could get their hands on in a manner that Adolf Hitler would have been proud of. And given half a chance, they would gladly exterminate those they missed before NATO got involved.

If the English resurrected King Edward the Longshanks who then decided to exterminate every Scot in Scotland would it not be normal for the Scots to want to be independent?

It's the same thing.
--
Should NATO support Kosovo's independence?
March 18th, 2008  
The Other Guy
 
 
I believe NATO should support Kosovo's independence. What's wrong with a group of people who have been oppressed for years getting their freedom? Like we're supposedly doing in Iraq.

However, the Russian response to a NATO-supported Kosovo is questionable. Russia is strongly against the region's independence, and has threatened using force. If the Russians were to use force, what would happen next?
March 18th, 2008  
Del Boy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy

. Russia is strongly against the region's independence, and has threatened using force. If the Russians were to use force, what would happen next?


The Russians oppose independence because they understand the true situation regarding Kosovo.

Passing the conch here Boss.
March 18th, 2008  
MontyB
 
 
I vote yes simply because the process has gone too far to be reversed without further suffering.
March 18th, 2008  
weed
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I vote yes simply because the process has gone too far to be reversed without further suffering.
My thoughts exactly
March 19th, 2008  
LeEnfield
 
 
If you go down the path of supporting every one that wants some form of Independence just where would you say enough is enough. Just how many men and how much money is every one prepared to put in to make these things happen.
March 19th, 2008  
The Other Guy
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
If you go down the path of supporting every one that wants some form of Independence just where would you say enough is enough. Just how many men and how much money is every one prepared to put in to make these things happen.
If we'll go as far as to help Iraq then Kosovo should be supported too.
March 20th, 2008  
tomtom22
 
 
NATO should remain neutral and stay focused on it's mission.
 


Similar Topics
Interview With NATO Secretary-General Jaap De Hoop Scheffer
Gates Faults NATO Force In Southern Afghanistan
TECH SUPPORT !!!
Bush To Pursue Fresh NATO Commitments
Toll Of Civilians NATO Killed Was Worst Since It Took Over