Should NATO support Kosovo's independence?

Should NATO support Kosovo's Independence?

• Yes

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Setback

This question really goes back to the breakup of Yugoslavia and the (Third) Balkan War; has the international community been fighting the wrong side?

I'll stake an early claim. Absolutely wrong, from day one. The bombing of Belgrade was a monstrous decision.

I'll now pass the conch.

I vote yes. Lets not forget that the Serbs attempted to exterminate every Albanian they could could get their hands on in a manner that Adolf Hitler would have been proud of. And given half a chance, they would gladly exterminate those they missed before NATO got involved.

If the English resurrected King Edward the Longshanks who then decided to exterminate every Scot in Scotland would it not be normal for the Scots to want to be independent?

It's the same thing.

I believe NATO should support Kosovo's independence. What's wrong with a group of people who have been oppressed for years getting their freedom? Like we're supposedly doing in Iraq.

However, the Russian response to a NATO-supported Kosovo is questionable. Russia is strongly against the region's independence, and has threatened using force. If the Russians were to use force, what would happen next?

Last edited:
. Russia is strongly against the region's independence, and has threatened using force. If the Russians were to use force, what would happen next?

The Russians oppose independence because they understand the true situation regarding Kosovo.

Passing the conch here Boss.

I vote yes simply because the process has gone too far to be reversed without further suffering.

If you go down the path of supporting every one that wants some form of Independence just where would you say enough is enough. Just how many men and how much money is every one prepared to put in to make these things happen.

If you go down the path of supporting every one that wants some form of Independence just where would you say enough is enough. Just how many men and how much money is every one prepared to put in to make these things happen.

If we'll go as far as to help Iraq then Kosovo should be supported too.

Absolutely, Kosovo is the latest stage of Greater Albania; the Kosovo Serbs have to a large degree been ethnically cleansed from their areas. The civil war started was the work of Al Quaeda, and both Albania and Kosovo are hot-beds of the illegal drug trade , and Kosovo is already a safe house for Al Quaeda recruitment and training, right there in the heart of Europe, as I understand.

The 'poor victims' are back for their Dane-geld.

So I say to Europe - don't add to the initial error, and get hurt doing it.

Let the protagonists work it out by partition if necessary, but keep a very careful eye on Kosovo. The Serbs will for sure.

No, because it creates a precedent for bunch of ethnicities/movements, who are dreaming about their independence. Bask separatists, Kurds, Chechens (as well as other Muslim people in North Caucasus), South-Osetians... They can use this as precedent to argument their independence claims - are they worst than Albanians of Kosovo? And if no, why the Kosovars are so special and chosen ones?

Normally I would agree with you and you are right it probably will create more problems else where however in this case Kosovo has already been separated and stabilised to return it to Serbian rule would just reignite the previous situation.

As an organization, I don't think NATO should recognize a nation, I believe NATO's job is to defend their members and as such it is not there job to recognize the status of a nation. Once Kosovo becomes accepted as an independent member of the International Community I see nothing wrong with NATO offering to protect Kosovo's independence, but as the organization is currently set up I do not believe it should have a role in actively re-drawing borders.

I have to say no. Firstly, (as mentioned before) this sets a dangerous precedent. All over the world Islamic separatist groups are fighting for ethnically-pure independent states. What kind of message does this reaction send to them? Secondly, I see this as playing right into Kosovo's hands. This is not the first time similar groups in this area have created strife and then played the victim. The move to push out the Serbs from Kosovo and bring in Albanians seems very calculated. Lastly, I'm getting the impression that NATO and the U.S. in particular, chose what side of this thing they were on a long time ago. To support Serbia (even morally) would be to admit that maybe we had bombed the wrong side years ago.

imho

So do we all get our own nation now? Great, I want a piece of Canada all for my own!
Get my point? If you give it to Kosovo, where do you draw the line? Saying that's it's a special situation means nothing because all the other seperatists groups are special. None of them are the same, but they all have the same desired result.

So do we all get our own nation now? Great, I want a piece of Canada all for my own!
Get my point? If you give it to Kosovo, where do you draw the line? Saying that's it's a special situation means nothing because all the other seperatists groups are special. None of them are the same, but they all have the same desired result.

I think you are over looking one small aspect here, as I understand it in 1974 the Yugoslav constitution made Kosovo an Autonomous province but more importantly made it an equal constitutional element of the Federation as one of eight federal units. Although not yet a republic its authority within the Federation was now equal to that of Serbia.
So to some degree these "separatists" are special.

Last edited:
As an organization, I don't think NATO should recognize a nation, I believe NATO's job is to defend their members and as such it is not there job to recognize the status of a nation. Once Kosovo becomes accepted as an independent member of the International Community I see nothing wrong with NATO offering to protect Kosovo's independence, but as the organization is currently set up I do not believe it should have a role in actively re-drawing borders.

Good post. I agree.

Back