Should Laser Guns Be Banned In A Conflict/Battlefield

AsianAmerican

Should Laser Guns Be Banned On The Battlefield. IMO i dont think so

Chinese New Laser Gun (Thanks To FlyingFrog For The Pictures)

916j.jpg

LaserBlindingGun.jpg

"U.S. Defense Department documents describe a massive laser weapons build-up in China, reports Charles Smith in Worldnet Daily. People's Liberation Army [PLA] laser weapons include anti-satellite weapons, anti-cruise missiles and lasers designed to instantly blind soldiers on the battlefield or aircraft pilots. China has already deployed the ZM-87 blinding laser, called a "dazzler" system, which resembles a machine-gun on a tripod mount. Although banned in many international treaties, China is offering the "dazzler" for export on the world market. The U.S. military has deployed no effective counter-measures for the "dazzler," such as protective glasses for soldiers. American pilots rely on night-vision equipment that cannot block the intense light beam.

Worldnet Daily adds, recent translations of PLA documents show accelerated development of beam weapons. PLA doctrine states laser weapons will be used for "active jamming of electro-optics, blinding combatants and damaging sensors, causing laser-guided bombs or cruise-missiles to deviate from their targets." Li Hui, is the director of the Beijing Institute of Remote Sensing Equipment, a PLA front company for missile guidance design that runs China's laser technology. Li stated "laser technology is the only effective means to counter cruise missiles."

LINK----> http://www.afpc.org/crm/crm163.htm

Absolutely!
If it's a laser that kills, than, no.
But laser that makes you blind FOREVER, YES! It's unhumane.

The US has actually developed, a killer laser(not just for the planes), some we can see on Abrams & Humm-vees.......

The US has actually developed, a killer laser(not just for the planes), some we can see on Abrams & Humm-vees.......

Source???

As to the subject at hand....Hmmm, I dont really know....

Does this laser permanently or temporary blind the victim??

If it's permanent then it's a severe violation of the Geneva Convention, and it should not be used, produced and/or sold!!

Most of todays aiming lasers will blind you, temporarily or forever if used that way. For example the LaserMax aiming device will do just that...however...they are not designed for that...whereas it seems this weapon is designed speciffically to blind...and that's is the problem.

Redleg said:

If it's permanent then it's a severe violation of the Geneva Convention, and it should not be used, produced and/or sold!!

SOT_II said:
Most of todays aiming lasers will blind you, temporarily or forever if used that way. For example the LaserMax aiming device will do just that...however...they are not designed for that...whereas it seems this weapon is designed speciffically to blind...and that's is the problem.

Redleg said:

There are several systems out there designed to spot NVGs. These systems have as an added bonus the capbility to damage/destroy them and if the enemy is unprotected burn out his retna. We use them too.

The PEQ2 which I think you're mentioning is a good example. In war time the laser illuminator is capable of eye damage but this is again a side affect and not intentional targeting or purposeful intent of the system. It just so happens that a powerful laser has this as a side affect.

The Geneva convention is often MISINTERPRETED. Example, you can't shoot a guy with a 50cal intentionally. Strange, we drop 500 pound bombs on people but can't shoot him with a 50cal? This is wrong. In defense you may directly target a enemy soldier with a 120mm main gun if that's what you have.

Nah. I say let them have the lasers. If I'm gonna kill someone, it doesn't matter to me how I do it as long as he dies before he kills me. And lasers aren't affected by wind or any other weather(fog, maybe?).

We have had laser guns(the ones you saw in star wars and stuff like that) for some time now, well not we as in "we" i mean their is a secret society who has stuff like that but if i tell the name i will be thought a nut and i get enough of that in my school.

but on the topic i don't think they should be allowed, we should stick to good old projectiles, those guns from Starship Troopers were pretty tight though.

its not harmful lasers im worried about...its the unharmful lasers that when swept thru magnyfying optics..then become bad against eyesight.

People forget that lasers will still be effected by magnifying lenses and such there fore a laser beam fired into any type of night vision optic that also magnifys can result in the beam tightening to a point that it burns against the rods and cones of the eye.

laws my tail end... :D

Lasers are more used than commonly known.
Some NATO countries use them (successfully) for protection from airborne attacks and for ship defense against speed boats.

I'm with the people who say it's stupid to ban lasers. That's like when there was a ban against crossbows, and we see how that worked out for them.

The UN has a lot of bans. But then again why should China listen to us? I mean yes we have lasers the High Energy Tactical Laser for anti-arty use and stuff but its inhumane to use lasers against gound combatants but why would they listen?

True, but we have fragmentation grenades that can blind people. Maybe this weapon they have will be used for riots/protest.

AsianAmerican said:
True, but we have fragmentation grenades that can blind people. Maybe this weapon they have will be used for riots/protest.

A frag is not ment to blind, they are ment to kill mot blind, blinding lasers are ment to blind, emphasizing on blind.

Back