Should Laser Guns Be Banned In A Conflict/Battlefield

--

September 19th, 2004  
AsianAmerican

Topic: Should Laser Guns Be Banned In A Conflict/Battlefield

Should Laser Guns Be Banned On The Battlefield. IMO i dont think so

Chinese New Laser Gun (Thanks To FlyingFrog For The Pictures)

"U.S. Defense Department documents describe a massive laser weapons build-up in China, reports Charles Smith in Worldnet Daily. People's Liberation Army [PLA] laser weapons include anti-satellite weapons, anti-cruise missiles and lasers designed to instantly blind soldiers on the battlefield or aircraft pilots. China has already deployed the ZM-87 blinding laser, called a "dazzler" system, which resembles a machine-gun on a tripod mount. Although banned in many international treaties, China is offering the "dazzler" for export on the world market. The U.S. military has deployed no effective counter-measures for the "dazzler," such as protective glasses for soldiers. American pilots rely on night-vision equipment that cannot block the intense light beam.

Worldnet Daily adds, recent translations of PLA documents show accelerated development of beam weapons. PLA doctrine states laser weapons will be used for "active jamming of electro-optics, blinding combatants and damaging sensors, causing laser-guided bombs or cruise-missiles to deviate from their targets." Li Hui, is the director of the Beijing Institute of Remote Sensing Equipment, a PLA front company for missile guidance design that runs China's laser technology. Li stated "laser technology is the only effective means to counter cruise missiles."

LINK----> http://www.afpc.org/crm/crm163.htm
September 20th, 2004  
SOT_II

As deployed against ground troops, Absolutely.
September 20th, 2004  
Uncle_Sam

Absolutely!
If it's a laser that kills, than, no.
But laser that makes you blind FOREVER, YES! It's unhumane.

The US has actually developed, a killer laser(not just for the planes), some we can see on Abrams & Humm-vees.......
--
September 20th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Quote:
The US has actually developed, a killer laser(not just for the planes), some we can see on Abrams & Humm-vees.......
Source???

As to the subject at hand....Hmmm, I dont really know....
September 20th, 2004  
Redleg

Does this laser permanently or temporary blind the victim??

If it's permanent then it's a severe violation of the Geneva Convention, and it should not be used, produced and/or sold!!
September 20th, 2004  
SOT_II

Most of todays aiming lasers will blind you, temporarily or forever if used that way. For example the LaserMax aiming device will do just that...however...they are not designed for that...whereas it seems this weapon is designed speciffically to blind...and that's is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg

If it's permanent then it's a severe violation of the Geneva Convention, and it should not be used, produced and/or sold!!
September 20th, 2004  
e=mc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOT_II
Most of todays aiming lasers will blind you, temporarily or forever if used that way. For example the LaserMax aiming device will do just that...however...they are not designed for that...whereas it seems this weapon is designed speciffically to blind...and that's is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg

There are several systems out there designed to spot NVGs. These systems have as an added bonus the capbility to damage/destroy them and if the enemy is unprotected burn out his retna. We use them too.

The PEQ2 which I think you're mentioning is a good example. In war time the laser illuminator is capable of eye damage but this is again a side affect and not intentional targeting or purposeful intent of the system. It just so happens that a powerful laser has this as a side affect.

The Geneva convention is often MISINTERPRETED. Example, you can't shoot a guy with a 50cal intentionally. Strange, we drop 500 pound bombs on people but can't shoot him with a 50cal? This is wrong. In defense you may directly target a enemy soldier with a 120mm main gun if that's what you have.
September 21st, 2004  
Uncle_Sam

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992528
This one is for clearing mines....

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,54641,00.html
This is not about lasers, but very interesting.....

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/thel.htm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,127763,00.html

I don't have much time now, when I come back from school, I'll find more...
September 23rd, 2004  
silent driller

Nah. I say let them have the lasers. If I'm gonna kill someone, it doesn't matter to me how I do it as long as he dies before he kills me. And lasers aren't affected by wind or any other weather(fog, maybe?).
September 23rd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Being permanently blinded by a laser vs being shot and killed by a bullet ... I'll go for the blinding please!