Should Kashmir just be a seperate country?

Should Kashmir be an indpendent country?

• Total voters
One of the things that puzzles me is the fact that Pakistan wasn't obliterated by India in prior wars (many of which were focussed on Kashmir). Was it restraint on India's part or sheer tenacity against superior numbers on Pakistan's part??

Of course, since both nations now have nukes, an all-out war isn't possible anymore. Both have their "panic button" option of nuking each other if they get desperate. I often wonder if nukes made the India-Pakistan situation better or worse.

godofthunder9010 said:
One of the things that puzzles me is the fact that Pakistan wasn't obliterated by India in prior wars (many of which were focussed on Kashmir). Was it restraint on India's part or sheer tenacity against superior numbers on Pakistan's part??

Well, both to a certain degree i'm sure, but at the risk of sounding biased (which i probably am), i'd say it was more retraint on our part.

In 1965, things were pretty even, with us holding a slight advantage, i terms of losses and territory captured. Most importantly though, is that the Indian Army reached striking distance of Lahore, but stalled in response to a American call for a cease-fire. This is when Pakistan launched a big counter-attack. If the war hadn't stopped soon after, then we probably would have had an eventual clear-cut victory.

In 1971, things were very different, with quite a decisive victory for us. Within about a forthnight the cease-fire was declared. By that time, we controlled sizable parts of Pakistani Kashmir and Punjab. This was given back to Pakistan as a token of goodwill/measure to ensure peace.
Personally, I feel that atleast the captured Kashmiri area should not have been given back, just because Kashmir is supposed to be a part of India, and these area's had been occupied by Pakistan in 1945 before Kashmir officially became a part of India.

It should not be an independent country.

All that will happen is you'll create a destitute, 3rd world hole that is incapable of taking care of itself, and then India and Pakistan will still be after it. At least this way, in some sense, the best interests of the region are being watched out for by 2 nations.

Back