Should Kashmir just be a seperate country?

Should Kashmir be an indpendent country?

• Total voters
Would you want to expand your territory into desert? That's as useful as kashmir is environmentally. There isn't even strategic gains from a place like that, it's a burden on everyone involved and its pretty stupid to outsiders. I guess at this point its a matter of their national pride not to see the land taken away, but in the long run no one is going to care. It's not a major territory and it has almost nothing to offer, just let that land be in peace.

And create another impoverished hell hole that turns to opium production for money since it has no other option as a landlocked country. Another haven for the Taleban... no really, its an excellent idea... ladies and gentlemen of the Milforum, I give you... Derkaderkastan.

HAH! ok, I see the point. Well, I think it's a matter of national Pride that both country's want the piece of land.

Kashmir can't produce much except the food to feed itself and maybe some other products. It's not like Afghanistan where the soil is ripe for poppy plants, it's all cold mountains where you can't grow anything. In the few valleys you can get some agriculture done, but nothing much. We're not talking fertile hill here but the hindu kush mountains that lead to the himalayas, that's very desolate. Why not have another poor country in that area, the claimants there have done nothing except ruin the land and the people, i think being a poor country would be an improvement over being a conflict zone.

Well, at least they can use the soil there to use as reclaimation soil and pour it into the sea, then they can extend their land!

zander_0633 said:
Well, at least they can use the soil there to use as reclaimation soil and pour it into the sea, then they can extend their land!
Take a look at a map, Zander, Kashmir is no where near the ocean!

National pride is a big deal...assume new england was an unfertile, economicaly insignficant area.... now tell me, if canada laid claim to the area, would u let them just have it?

tomtom22 said:
Take a look at a map, Zander, Kashmir is no where near the ocean!

I was saying that they could use the soil there, then transport it to the sea and reclaim the land. This way, they do not infringe territorial rights and no one can stop them!

Yesterday in Hong Kong there was a running street battle between Nepalese and mainland Chinese... support for the Maoist rebels has not been overlooked by the Nepalese people. I would say it is quite different with Nepal in that they have the Himalayas and an established tourism base but if they goes tits up then yes, they are going to be in a bad way.

bulldogg said:
I would say it is quite different with Nepal in that they have the Himalayas and an established tourism base....

Kashmir has historically been a tourists paradise.... it was even the Mughal Emperor's summer retreat. It is a region of immense natural beauty, and traditionally the people have been extrmely hospitable. Before the escalation of terrorism there, it was one of the most sought after tourist destinations in the country.

Thank you Fin, I did not know that. I guess since it has been a war zone for so long I've never heard anything of it otherwise.

Yeah, infact, this was the reason why the then ruler of Kashmir, Maharaja Hari Singh decided to stay independent, up untill the invasion. He had dreams of an Asian Switzerland.

Hi,

zander_0633 said:
Oh, that's noble!

. What and who is Noble ? ...... My small Brain generally Can't Understant your Deep Posts so can you Please Start to Explain the Things in a Bit More Idot Friendly Language for us idots to Understand .:sarc:

If Bhutan can be an independent nation, kashmir could have been even more successful. Hell, burma had a bright future when it gained independence but lately things haven't gone so well. I think kashmir would've followed the social democrat model of india and pakistan. If there wasn't a war then the entire south asian economy would be growing and not just india.

Hi,

According to your Logic ..... Baluchistan , Wazaristan , Khalistan , Sindh , Assam , And many More Who were relectant to join Any of the Two Countries at the Time of Independence should be a Independent Country ?

Bhutan a Closed MOnarchy .. whith Very Little Contact With the Outside World and Poor Human Right Record For Non-Bhuddists ...... And Without India's Security Cover How Long will Bhutan Survive as a Independent Entity ?

Last edited:
Nobody wants to take bhutan, there's no point. They're like that because it's easy to be reclusive in a mountainous kingdom, just look at tibet before china came in. Kashmir on the other hand was more open to the rest of the continent since there was links to trade and commerce. They could get away with being independent since it was a kingdom on the fringes of the british raj.

The other states you mentioned could have very well been their own kingdom but wouldn't have been as stable since india was poor and weak and needed all the support it could get back then. Those territories had to pick being a part of india. Kashmir is just mountains, and a valley. Not very important for much and was fought over because of screwed up territorial claims. If neither claimant can agree to it, then neither side has a very good case for it. I think one of the biggest things that can be done internationally for world stability is to stabilize the region or make it a free country.

Hi,

Baluchistan , Wazaristan , Sindh were Forced to join Pakistan ....... Blauch rebele Have Fought 3 Civil wars and Still the Fight for a Independent Home land ..... Thosands Have Been Killed Till date .. So should we Make it a Seperate Country ......... Baluchistan Consists of 50 % of Pakistan should we make it a seperate Country Because it got a Problem .

Pakistan's battle over Balochistan

Wazaristan Still Is Burnign

10,000 t0 12,000 Dies in the Khalistan Rebel Movement between 1984 to 1990 Before it was Crushed in 1990 .

Assam is Still a Disputd terrotary between India and China ..... It's been More than 55 Years and no Solution Both the Parties are not ready to Budge .... so Independence is the only Solutioon for it as well ?

Peace
-=SF_13=-

SwordFish_13 said:
Assam is Still a Disputd terrotary between India and China ..... It's been More than 55 Years and no Solution Both the Parties are not ready to Budge .... so Independence is the only Solutioon for it as well ?

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Assam? I thought China was under the impression it controlled Arunachal Pradesh.

Back