SHOULD INDIA GET A PERMANENT SEAT IN UNSC

sidewinder

India, officially the Republic of India (Hindi: भारत गणराज्य Bhārat Gaṇarājya; see also other Indian languages), is a country in South Asia. It is the seventh-largest country by geographical area, the second-most populous country, and the most populous democracy in the world. Bounded by the Indian Ocean on the south, the Arabian Sea on the west, and the Bay of Bengal on the east, India has a coastline of 7,517 kilometres (4,700 mi). It is bordered by Pakistan to the west; China, Nepal, and Bhutan to the north; and Bangladesh and Myanmar to the east. India is in the vicinity of Sri Lanka, and the Maldives in the Indian Ocean.
Home to the Indus Valley Civilisation and a region of historic trade routes and vast empires, the Indian subcontinent was identified with its commercial and cultural wealth for much of its long history. Four major religions, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism originated here, while Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam arrived in the first millennium CE and shaped the region's diverse culture. Gradually annexed by the British East India Company from the early eighteenth century and colonised by the United Kingdom from the mid-nineteenth century, India became an independent nation in 1947 after a struggle for independence that was marked by widespread non-violent resistance.
The Constitution of India, the longest and the most exhaustive constitution of any independent nation in the world, came into force on 26 January 1950
Since its independence in 1947, India has maintained cordial relationships with most nations. It took a leading role in the 1950s by advocating the independence of European colonies in Africa and Asia. India was involved in two brief military interventions in neighbouring countries – Indian Peace Keeping Force in Sri Lanka and Operation Cactus in Maldives. India is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations and a founding member of the Non-Aligned Movement. After the Sino-Indian War and the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965, India's relationship with the Soviet Union warmed and continued to remain so until the end of the Cold War. India has fought two wars with Pakistan over the Kashmir dispute. A third war between India and Pakistan in 1971 resulted in the creation of Bangladesh (then East Pakistan). Additional skirmishes have taken place between the two nations over the Siachen Glacier. In 1999, India and Pakistan fought an undeclared war over Kargil.
In recent years, India has played an influential role in the SAARC, and the WTO. India has provided as many as 55,000 Indian military and Indian police personnel to serve in thirty-five UN peace keeping operations across four continents.[14] Despite criticism and military sanctions, India has consistently refused to sign the CTBT and the NPT, although Prime Minister Manmohan Singh recently stated that India would be willing to join the NPT as a recognized nuclear weapons state (NWS). Recent overtures by the Indian government have strengthened relations with the United States, China and Pakistan. In the economic sphere, India has close relationships with other developing nations in South America, Asia and Africa.
India maintains the third-largest military force in the world, which consists of the Indian Army, Navy, Air Force and auxiliary forces such as the Paramilitary Forces, the Coast Guard, and the Strategic Forces Command. The President of India is the supreme commander of the Indian Armed Forces. India maintains close defence cooperation with Russia, Israel and France, who are the chief suppliers of arms. The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) oversees indigenous development of sophisticated arms and military equipment, including ballistic missiles, fighter aircraft and main battle tanks, to reduce India's dependence on foreign imports. India became a nuclear power in 1974 after conducting an initial nuclear test, Operation Smiling Buddha and further underground testing in 1998. India maintains a "no first use" nuclear policy. On 10 October 2008 Indo-US civilian nuclear agreement was signed, prior to which India received IAEA and NSG waivers, ending restrictions on nuclear technology commerce with which India became de facto sixth nuclear power in world.
India's GDP is US$1.237 trillion, which makes it the twelfth-largest economy in the world[112] or fourth largest by purchasing power adjusted exchange rates. India's nominal per capita income US$1,068 is ranked 128th in the world. In the late 2000s, India's economic growth has averaged 7½% a year, which will double the average income in a decade.[105]
Despite India's impressive economic growth over recent decades, it still contains the largest concentration of poor people in the world, and has a higher rate of malnutrition among children under the age of three (46% in year 2007) than any other country in the world.[113][114] The percentage of people living below the World Bank's international poverty line of $1.25 a day (PPP, in nominal terms Rs. 21.6 a day in urban areas and Rs 14.3 in rural areas in 2005) decreased from 60% in 1981 to 42% in 2005.[115] Even though India has avoided famines in recent decades, half of children are underweight, one of the highest rates in the world and nearly double the rate of Sub-Saharan Africa.[116]
A 2007 Goldman Sachs report projected that "from 2007 to 2020, India’s GDP per capita will quadruple," and that the Indian GDP will surpass that of the United States before 2050, but India "will remain a low-income country for several decades, with per capita incomes well below its other BRIC peers."[107] Although the Indian economy has grown steadily over the last two decades; its growth has been uneven when comparing different social groups, economic groups, geographic regions, and rural and urban areas.

Last edited:
i think India shouldn't have a seat in unsc.if every country that think it is great and has the right to have the seat,we will see 30 permanent seats in unsc.i agree that India is a big country but it is far to match america or china in many domains.i think japan and Germany has the right to attend the council more than India.

Well mate japan and Germany are great nation,but India is bigger military power.every body think's there nation is great there is nothing wrong in that.but in Asia we are in top 3.be it economy, defense or technology.we are moving with a great pace.although we do have our share of problems.at the same time India can not only provide more stability in the region but can also work with other nations to make this region more economically stable.we are the biggest democracy in the world,and by leading the region as an example we can make more nations to work with us.this will solve many problems like poverty,basic infrastructure and unemployment.it will not only create new opportunities
for young population but it will propel them to lead a good and healthy life.

India might well deserve a seat. The permanent members could use a review. The countries that belong to the European Union might only deserve one European Union seat.

i think china represents asia
No.
You couldn't be more wrong.
Unless the UNSC becomes some kind of "power sharing" understanding between major powers. Kind of like when the Pope drew a line for the parts of the world the Spanish could take and the parts the Portuguese could take.

Not likely there will ever be a change in the permanent members on the Security Council. Pretty sure it would take a vote by the Security Council to change. Permanent members have veto power.

Do you think any would vote themselves off?:)

If a seat on the UNSC is based on the military numbers then why hasn't North korea got a seat on it

I will tell you something dude.first of all i m not comparing India's military power with any other nation.secondly you cannot ignore the fact that Indian sub-continent is one of the most poverty ridden part of the world.in this poverty ridden part India has been able to apply itself in the field of defense ,technology and basic infrastructural growth.despite all odds we are one of the biggest economies of the world.we are even making mark in space research.now have look at India's neighbor's Srilanka,Bhutan,Pakistan,Burma.we all have a common problem,poverty and lack of basic amenities.India cannot only provide this region
more stability but also more opportunities for for a common man irrespective of his nationality.if India gets a permanent seat in UNSC then India will lead by an example,and it will ask other small nations to work with each other so that we all can fight against common cause poverty. youth of Indian sub-continent
often gets indulged in illegal activities just because they have very limited opportunities,may be with just one thing we can change the life of billions of people. together we can,and we will make a difference.

So just because India is big it should have a seat on the UNSC? Okay I'll bite why......because of size????

Second question. Why would any country want a seat on the worst organization for enforcing security in recent history. Seems oxymoronic to me...so I guess if India wants it they can have it...won't mean anything anyway.........Yeah India!!!!!

I dont know for sure.
I think that we should reform all of this... I dont know much about these concils and these treaties, but I think that this kind of "power" should be given to wisdom and not to power.

Is India a powerful country? I dont doubt that one second. But why should I care about it's power?

As civilized people, we dont care about power... what we care about are arguments, wisdom, intelligence and virtue.

Nazi Germany was powerful. The Mongol hordes were powerful. Where are they now?

No, I think that every nation in the world should have the same rights as the other nations, regardless of their military might or their economic growth.

What's important is justice. Human rights, democracy, low corruption low crime, good standard of life...

I think all peaceful Nations should be allowed to join, as long as there's no radical nitwit idiots in the presidential position

The right to permanent membership is something that only belongs to the major players in the Allied powers during WW2, I.E China, Britain, Russia, America, and France. Well, though I love France, I find it's inclusion in the permanent membership club somewhat dubious, It really only saw action in 1939-1940 and 1944-1945 and not quite a whole lot in the latter chunk.

India might well deserve a seat. The permanent members could use a review. The countries that belong to the European Union might only deserve one European Union seat.
Only when the component nations of the E.U finally dissolve their borders and become one nation (by then I believe the E.U would have expanded to include even more of europe, and if it's lucky, Russia too, or heck just adding Turkey alone) Which would signal the end of America being the world's greatest political power. (It already is relegated to the number two position economically speaking.)

Last edited:
No India shouldn't be given a permanent seat in security council...
Instead something like Security Council shouldn't exist at all.........

Giving too much power to handful of countries is too dangerous and it has been proven time and again...........

Either it should be abolished or complete democracy should prevail in security council... A complete reform.........Elect a certain amount of countries to security council for a given tenure...There shouldn't be any permanent members. Not US nor Russia neither India or anyone

So just because India is big it should have a seat on the UNSC? Okay I'll bite why......because of size????

Second question. Why would any country want a seat on the worst organization for enforcing security in recent history. Seems oxymoronic to me...so I guess if India wants it they can have it...won't mean anything anyway.........Yeah India!!!!!

In answer to your first question it's got a) a massive population, b) a potentially massive economy as well as c) a massive military and d) an ever-growing cultural and economic influence on world affairs.

Second Question - it probably wants a seat because (like it or get over it) the UN in it's current structure, as flawed as it is (Remembering that the world has changed a great deal from the political world it was intended to exist within) does exist as a global diploamtic forum and arbiter of international law (if only it was structured more relevantly and effectively to be able to actually enforce it) regardless of whether you, or I, or anyone else may individually want it to or not. That's reality. Calling it the worst organisation for enforcing security in recent history isn't much more than hyberbole. Individual governments have tried to do so unilaterally without the UN since 1945 (yours and mine both included), and generally done an equally shitful job. :roll:

Last edited:
Back