SHOULD INDIA GET A PERMANENT SEAT IN UNSC

It seems to me that all these discussions about UN reforming have already become somewhat absurd.

First of all. Why should any country become a permanent UNSC member? I mean for what sake? That is not an end in itself: to take a permanent SC seat just in order to become a SC member.

OK, about India in particular... Yeah, India is a great country, with a billion population, they have huge military, their regional influence is outstanding, that is an emerging scientific power and so on. But the UNSC's main goal in a couple of words is to prevent wars and to stop the ongoing ones.

India's membership in the UNSC won't increase international security because if, say, the US/Russia/Israel go nuts and start destroying yet another counrty, the UNSC even with India as its member won't do anything as it has already happened many times. If DPRK launches nukes here and there, if Iran performs nuclear test, if Syria launches a surprise attack on Israel, there would be no need in India in SC, because there is more or less joint opinion of SC members on these issues.

Maybe my point of view may seem kind of chauvinistic, but i don't mean that i don't want India in SC. I mean that it doesn't fully work anyway. So i don't think the world would change greatly if India joins, or China goes out, or the United States...

Besides, even if it worked, i don't think it would be wise to make India a permanent member without solving its problems with Pakistan.

Back