Should German veterans be allowed to march in

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
ANZAC parades?

I have been reading a few old articles on this and apparently some German veterans were upset that they were not allowed to do so, there appears to be two arguments here.

1) ANZAC is a commemoration of the New Zealand and Australian involvement Gallipoli campaign and as such there is really no major German connection (yes I do know there were Germans involved).

2) ANZAC Day has become a commemoration of those who took part in all conflicts and as such German veterans have a right to march.

I am somewhat in both camps on this one and think both arguments have merit.

IMHO, without any malice in my thought, German vets are primarily responsible for ANZAC day and I think it would be seen as a disservice to the Kiwi and Aussie counterparts.
Also another point is that the Germans drew away a great deal of troops from oceania in WW2 which saw it come under threat from the Japanese, my grandparents at least havent let that one go.

As ANZAC day is also a day for our fallen its probably in bad taste to welcome the people who killed most of them.

But hey what do I know It all happened a long time before I was around. It depends on perspective I suppose.

IMHO, without any malice in my thought, German vets are primarily responsible for ANZAC day and I think it would be seen as a disservice to the Kiwi and Aussie counterparts.
Also another point is that the Germans drew away a great deal of troops from oceania in WW2 which saw it come under threat from the Japanese, my grandparents at least havent let that one go.

As ANZAC day is also a day for our fallen its probably in bad taste to welcome the people who killed most of them.

But hey what do I know It all happened a long time before I was around. It depends on perspective I suppose.

This argument came about around 2006 when it was decided by the Australian RSL and I assume the New Zealand RSA to let Turkish descendants take part.

I think problem was caused by the decision to allow the descendants of Turkish soldiers to march then why shouldn't the same consideration be given to the Germans and Japanese.

I would assume that it is that way because kiwis, aussies and turks were more caught up in a struggle with forces beyond their control than major driving forces behind it.

I dunno about ex German combatants marching, but I do know that in Cooktown in Queensland the bugler for the Dawn Service was ex Afrika Korps.

I honestly thought they were already marching??? I could have sworn I have heard a few German units like the Africa Korps being read out on the Sydney march telecast... I know there have been plenty of other allied units represented.

I dont really think it would be wise for japanese vets to march. Just due to the bad blood between the veterans. Not that I would think it is likely they would be many japanese vets interested or here in the first place.

I think they should be allowed but I completely understand the arguement against allowing them.I just feel it is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
I think it depends on how ANZAC Day is perceived, is it a commemoration of the Galipolli campaign or is it a "memorial" day?

I am somewhat ambivalent towards the issue but I have seen a number of arguments on various forums both for and against it.

I find it funny though that people will accept Axis participation with the exception of the Japanese.

Note: I think I screwed up the title of this thread it should be Axis veterans not just German.

Back