Should I feel guilty for joining?

FutureDevilDog

I plan on joining sometime next fall, however doing so would leave my mom behind to the house by herself. I know Im a grown up and I really want to but I can't help but feel guilty. Anyone else been in a situation like this?

like leaving a wife and kid behind? Yeah.
It's hard but if it's what you really want you can't let it hold you back or else you'll blame your mom later. Just go.

i left my entire family consisting of 4 sisters and my mother, after my father left, i took the role of him, i.e. supporting the family, working to feed shelter and cloth them, paying the bills was easy, taking care of them when my mother was at work was the toughest.... we were very close, when i left, i didnt want to go, but they supported me and my decision and thats what made me get threw the time and distance away from them.

Its a tough decision. I suggest talking to your mum, and see what she thinks. It is your decision, though.

being the oldest in a immigrant family i have had to quit wrestling, gymnastics, partys, just to watch my siblings cuz ma parents would work all day,;... i had moved out and then my father leaves my mom and sister i had to move in with them,.. and im trying to enlist in the mexican marines but last year they were trying to play the guilty card, so i told them i would stay till the end of this year and then i would have to leave to enlist early january... ur family supports u but mine are the opposite, we got to make our own life, and its true we will be blaming them if we dont.... good luck man stay safe...

Being in the military is not always easy on your family. I think that talking to your mother about your concerns would be good for both of you. But in the end if it is something you really want to do I would go for it. It hasn't always been easy on my family but we never regret joining the military.

Let me put it this way... I've never really regretted things I've done. I've always regretted the things I didn't do.

Do what feels right to you. If at the end of the day, you can look yourself in the mirror with a clean conscience, you have done right.

No matter what any of us think, in the end, it is your decision.

Hey I am in a similar situation, I don't want to leave my family behind, but it's not like I'm leaving them for life. Everyone has their own paths in life, whether yours is like mine and it is military, or whatever you can't always look back because you'll miss all the great things in front of you in this path. Do what you wish to do in life, because if you don't you will regret it.

You face the same decision many of us did. Your duty - where does it put its head at night?

No matter your decision, you'll face joy and regret. Would you accept resenting your family because you never went in and now, years later, you'll never get the chance? Or will you resent the military for drawing you away from your family?

It is a tough choice, my young friend. A very tough choice. The Hand Guide of the Future not being published yet, you must consider that either decision will encompass both disappointments and successes.

I plan on joining sometime next fall, however doing so would leave my mom behind to the house by herself. I know Im a grown up and I really want to but I can't help but feel guilty. Anyone else been in a situation like this?

Have you considered going into the Reserves or National Guard. Or even joining ROTC and going to college first?

You really do have a lot of options you could explore.

Well I feel bad about leaving my mom when I ship out to basic because she will have to take care of my 17 year old sister and 5 year old brother on her own...But I'm doing what I have always wanted to do with my life and thats what comes first.me and whats gonna benefit me in the future

Leaving your family behind is part of joining the service. It gets easier to justify but it never gets easy to deal with. I didn't struggle with leaving anyone behind when i joined in 05 but I can tell you the most difficult part is when you leave your spouse and children. I am not saying the current situation is a big deal. But if you are debating on whether or not you can leave your mother you may want to re-consider your convictions.

Only you can make that decision, and if you are not comfortable with it, then maybe you should reconsider it.

me to

i have the same feelings, as i am leaving for the Marine Corps and my mother is extremly sad and i do feel guilty, but feeling this now wont be as bad as 10 years from now wishing you would have gone and feeling angry and dissapointed with yourself or possibly your mother. its your life, live it the way you see fit.

hey, Its time to get the **** out of the house. Join the marines if your mom needs you then thats to bad your a grown ass man you shouldnt feel guilty at all she is probably really proud of you and wants you to do what makes you happy.

Back