should Canada accept U.S deserter?

--
Boots

December 17th, 2004  
PLAbuddy

Topic: should Canada accept U.S deserter?

there were a lot U.S deserters escaped to Canada in Vietnam war.
now there is another one escape from Iraq war

BBC News, Toronto

Hinzman faces prison in the US for desertion (Photo: Mark Laking)
A US army deserter has begun making his case for political refugee status so he can stay in Canada.
Jeremy Hinzman, 25, is the first of three US deserters to appear before a refugee and immigration board in the city of Toronto, seeking asylum.

so wut do u think, should canada let him stay or sent him back.?

by the way, offers some of ur opinion on those deserters...

do u think it is right for them to escape war just cuz they disagree with it
December 17th, 2004  
implicature

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in659336.shtml

this is crap. It is really crap about the guy living in Canada using the money he had saved while being in the services... I have just recently signed my contract and it was explained to me that while serving in the USMC i was to follow orders... My country decided that Sadaam needed to be dealt with... So therefore it becomes the duty of EVERY serviceman and woman to carry out those orders... I think my dad said it the best when i started to discuss with him my considering enlistment... "Duayne this isn't like your other decisions in life... You can't turn this one around... When you put that pen on that line you are signing as a grown MAN... There is NO changing your mind..." You can't sign a contract for a new car or house or anything and then a year or two or three later decide that you got ripped off and then quit paying... at that point you are crap out of luck... Personally i am tempted to letting them stay in Canada... Clearly they aren't real men to begin with....
I understand there stance on the war... But since when to the soldiers and sailors get to vote on whether or not the US go to war???
December 17th, 2004  
Anya1982

Topic: joking

Wish i could vote not to go to war when i went...........ok the weather was good but the tan wasn't all over and it was so damn loud.............. its like 4am after kick out of a night club!!!
--
Boots
December 17th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Hey, it's a long time Canadian tradition. You can't take it away from them!
December 17th, 2004  
03USMC

They need to send him back to his unit. Arm him with a sling shot and a handful of marbles and let him stand post in Fallujah. IMO.
December 17th, 2004  
A Can of Man

And just like that, the age old Canadian tradition dies...
December 17th, 2004  
Zyca

This is a tough one.

I find it harder to agree with the deserters though... I mean, it's not my life on the line so I really can't argue that they're wrong. However, when you join the army, you should throw out as much individualism as possible. If that's too difficult to do, don't join the army. This greatly affects the morale of the whole. If you are not up to it, don't take it to begin with. It almost gives me a feeling that the deserters are just finding easy ways out... but that's just me, with my limited knowledge.
December 17th, 2004  
Sooners1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
They need to send him back to his unit. Arm him with a sling shot and a handful of marbles and let him stand post in Fallujah. IMO.
Amen brother!!
December 17th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

I hope Canada keeps giving those refugees, they don't want to go to war to kill others or being killed, they have right to choose, if not in their own country, then in another place.
December 17th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
I hope Canada keeps giving those refugees, they don't want to go to war to kill others or being killed, they have right to choose, if not in their own country, then in another place.

No, they HAD the right to not join the military, they HAD the right to leave the country while they were civilians, but now they do NOT have the right to change their mind while our nation is at war.